The Student Room Group

My clearing & gap year dilemma - I think I am too snobby!

So I, like many others missed my university offers. I used to be someone who aspired to go to Cambridge with my 8a*s from GCSE, then when the AS results came in which were generally very strong for maths but weaker for my other subjects I then decided upon Warwick/Bath for Maths. I was never 100% behind maths as I am very into politics, history and economics too but I felt that because I had previously done very well in it I might as well go ahead with it.

I missed my offers : badly. When my results came in it was an awful sting and I was very emotional for the early part of the day. I got AABC, in Maths, History, FMaths and Chemistry. 4 UMS away from an a* in single maths, and my history coursework which had drained my soul for most of the year took away an a* in history. For Further Maths the papers for me were awful despite me doing very well in class. Chemistry I had got a C in AS so I knew it would be a struggle but I honestly expected to do better than I did - although there were serious issues with the Chemistry department throughout the year. I had been predicted A*A*AB in maths, fmaths, history and Chemistry. I was mortified when the results came. I was on course to achieve these grades but at the last hurdle I let myself down.

Now to clear or not to clear? That is the question. I looked at some courses but I was an emotional wreck and didn't phone any unis - but most of the courses I didn't even consider. For me I want to get a degree in a subject that won't be made redundant in 10 years time as many experts are now saying in say history and english; but also one at a prestigious uni (high in the league tables). Am I being too snobby when I say I don't want to go to unis that are 'mid-tier/low-tier' or in areas I don't like? Furthermore should I take a gap year and reapply next year?

I would be very interested in all your thoughts :smile:

Scroll to see replies

What are your ideas of subjects that won't be made redundant?
What is your idea of mid-tier/low-tier university?
Plenty of Russell group unis in clearing
Reply 3
1) Generally Science Subjects. Economics too.

2) Reading, Glasgow, Southampton, Nottingham, obviously many others

Higher tier ones : UCL, LSE, Warwick, Durham
Reply 4
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Plenty of Russell group unis in clearing

However many of them have crappy subject courses or have entry requirements higher than my grades :/
Original post by FalknerFoo
1) Generally Science Subjects. Economics too.

2) Reading, Glasgow, Southampton, Nottingham, obviously many others

Higher tier ones : UCL, LSE, Warwick, Durham

Why don't you take a gap year to retake your A-Levels and reapply to stronger universities? LSE and UCL never enter clearing and warwick and durham have barely any places left. Alternatively you could think about prestigious universities abroad such as the ivies and others in europe
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
So I, like many others missed my university offers. I used to be someone who aspired to go to Cambridge with my 8a*s from GCSE, then when the AS results came in which were generally very strong for maths but weaker for my other subjects I then decided upon Warwick/Bath for Maths. I was never 100% behind maths as I am very into politics, history and economics too but I felt that because I had previously done very well in it I might as well go ahead with it.

I missed my offers : badly. When my results came in it was an awful sting and I was very emotional for the early part of the day. I got AABC, in Maths, History, FMaths and Chemistry. 4 UMS away from an a* in single maths, and my history coursework which had drained my soul for most of the year took away an a* in history. For Further Maths the papers for me were awful despite me doing very well in class. Chemistry I had got a C in AS so I knew it would be a struggle but I honestly expected to do better than I did - although there were serious issues with the Chemistry department throughout the year. I had been predicted A*A*AB in maths, fmaths, history and Chemistry. I was mortified when the results came. I was on course to achieve these grades but at the last hurdle I let myself down.

Now to clear or not to clear? That is the question. I looked at some courses but I was an emotional wreck and didn't phone any unis - but most of the courses I didn't even consider. For me I want to get a degree in a subject that won't be made redundant in 10 years time as many experts are now saying in say history and english; but also one at a prestigious uni (high in the league tables). Am I being too snobby when I say I don't want to go to unis that are 'mid-tier/low-tier' or in areas I don't like? Furthermore should I take a gap year and reapply next year?

If you are that desperate to go to a top uni I would take a gap year, resit and reapply.

With AAB though I'm sure there's some fairly high up unis if you are desperate to go this year. Russell Group anyway.
Reply 7
Is there a substantial difference though between, say Maths at Warwick vs Maths at Birmingham? I am leaning towards a gap year atm but if possible I would want to clear with a uni/course I am 100% behind - which in my honest opinion I am not sure myself!
Reply 8
Original post by abc:)
If you are that desperate to go to a top uni I would take a gap year, resit and reapply.

With AAB though I'm sure there's some fairly high up unis if you are desperate to go this year. Russell Group anyway.

Do you think I should be desperate to go to a top uni ? Should I settle for another lower tier one?

Do you think if I took a gap year, some unis will reject me on the basis that this would be my 3rd year of A levels?
Is there a substantial difference though between, say Maths at Warwick vs Maths at Birmingham? I am leaning towards a gap year atm but if possible I would want to clear with a uni/course I am 100% behind - which in my honest opinion I am not sure myself!

Well Warwick is a target university which means its easier to get into investment banking if thats something you're interested in.
Given that Warwick requires STEP I'd imagine the course would be harder than the one at Birmingham.
However many of them have crappy subject courses or have entry requirements higher than my grades :/

My advice to you would be not to settle, you won't be happy at the university and you'll wish you'd gone somewhere else. Take this year out and resit some modules, see if you can get an internship somewhere and get a job. Work your way up to assistant manager or something like that. Then reapply next year to a high end university for the course you would likE. A year in the grand scheme of things won't make a difference

You cna be as snobby as you like its your life and no one else cares.

If you want to go to particular universities, then simply take a gap, meet the grades and reapply.

Waste of money going to a Uni you think is is beneath you as you wont enjoy it and people will notice, same as with subject area. You get one shot at Uni so go soemwhere you think is worthy of you and you will enjoy. Ante up with the grades and you are all sorted.
Reply 12
Do you think I should be desperate to go to a top uni ? Should I settle for another lower tier one?

Do you think if I took a gap year, some unis will reject me on the basis that this would be my 3rd year of A levels?

Unless you're hoping to go to literally the top 5 unis, there is not much difference between a uni that is ranked say, number 8, or number 30. The rankings tables vary hugely and there are big problems in how they are compiled.

I would pick a university with a good department for the subject you want to do (find out if it appears in an online search for example), russell group might be better for prestige, and then work hard. You'll have strong chances at a good career. I currently work at Aston University, not a top uni but a very good one nonetheless, many of their current graduates are going on to great schemes at huge companies.

As for some unis rejecting you if you do resits, I really don't know, I'm not sure how that works as I haven't been through it.
Reply 13
Ok, I would be interested to hear about opportunities around Warwick and investment banking. I have visited Warwick and they kept on banging on about how they wanted to make it on par with other unis like oxbridge & imperial for maths. I decided against taking steps due to the volume of exams i already had so I would consider taking it if I took a gap year.
Reply 14
Hi I am currently in a big dilemma, I've always wanted to to go to UCL or LSE to read Economics, Management or Finance. When I received my first set of A-Level results I got CCC in Maths, Chem and Economics. I took a gap year but my predicted grades weren't good enough for the strong courses at UCL but I still applied to the ones I could. I also applied for QMUL and City. I've just received my results and I got A*BB (A* in Mathematics, B in Chemistry and Econ and I'm only 6 UMS off an A in chemistry). I've got my firm course which is UCL for Information Management for Business (AAB) but it just seemed like a rubbish course even though UCL is bloody amazing. I also went through adjustment and I've got an offer for QMUL Econ. It's a good course but the uni is just
alright for me...Now I really don't want to take a 2nd gap year but I really wanted UCL or LSE or KCL but no luck this year. My parents are saying don't just go for UCL because of the reputation but they said go for QMUL and do Econ. They said don't do another gap year either but I feel I could make it onto the better courses and into better unis. Please help
Reply 15
Original post by Pinkberry_y
My advice to you would be not to settle, you won't be happy at the university and you'll wish you'd gone somewhere else. Take this year out and resit some modules, see if you can get an internship somewhere and get a job. Work your way up to assistant manager or something like that. Then reapply next year to a high end university for the course you would likE. A year in the grand scheme of things won't make a difference

I am just worried that I will be taking a year 'off' unnecessarily that most other people in my year will be at university for. I feel like I am being too harsh on other unis besides the standard top ones. I understand what you are saying though regarding work experience.
Reply 16
Original post by 999tigger
You cna be as snobby as you like its your life and no one else cares.

If you want to go to particular universities, then simply take a gap, meet the grades and reapply.

Waste of money going to a Uni you think is is beneath you as you wont enjoy it and people will notice, same as with subject area. You get one shot at Uni so go soemwhere you think is worthy of you and you will enjoy. Ante up with the grades and you are all sorted.

I understand what you are saying. Personally I feel students are being ripped off left,right and centre over uni fees and I do not want to be duped into something that will not help me monetarily in life.

It is just that perhaps monetarily I might be better off taking maths say at birmingham this year than wait a year to go and apply to warwick again.
I am just worried that I will be taking a year 'off' unnecessarily that most other people in my year will be at university for. I feel like I am being too harsh on other unis besides the standard top ones. I understand what you are saying though regarding work experience.

Plenty and I mean plenty of people take gap years, it's more acceptable now to take one than it ever was. No one questions your age at university and even if they find out you're a year older, no one bats an eye lid. Just think you can use this year to develop as a person, get more experience and money, and better a level grades so apply to a university you want rather than settling because you feel like you have to go to a university because that's the direction all your Friends are moving in their lives
According to Which? University:

Mathematics at University of Birmingham
93% employed or in further study after six months (medium)
Average graduate salary of £23k (medium)
75% of student achieved a 2:1 or above
92% overall student satisfaction

Mathematics at University of Warwick
93% employed or in further study after six months (medium)
Average graduate salary of £28k (high)
77% of student achieved a 2:1 or above
89% overall student satisfaction
Reply 19
Original post by abc:)
Unless you're hoping to go to literally the top 5 unis, there is not much difference between a uni that is ranked say, number 8, or number 30. The rankings tables vary hugely and there are big problems in how they are compiled.

I would pick a university with a good department for the subject you want to do (find out if it appears in an online search for example), russell group might be better for prestige, and then work hard. You'll have strong chances at a good career. I currently work at Aston University, not a top uni but a very good one nonetheless, many of their current graduates are going on to great schemes at huge companies.

As for some unis rejecting you if you do resits, I really don't know, I'm not sure how that works as I haven't been through it.

So you think I should go into clearing? I have heard a lot about mid tier unis being similar in teaching standards etc but I have not found little on the employment opportunities that a degree say from Aston would give me.

Personally I considered Aston low tier. This is no doubt wrong but for me the perception of the uni amongst businesses is as critical as its teaching standards. I know several who feel the same; however unjust.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending