The Student Room Group

Do bilinguals think in their weaker language?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pinkberry_y
Hmmm never thought of it like that. I'd say we think in our stronger language. A question for other bilinguals, which language do you have dreams in? For me it's always English

i dont even know what language i dream in... stuff just happens
Yes.
This is a really intriguing thread.

Hmmm never thought of it like that. I'd say we think in our stronger language. A question for other bilinguals, which language do you have dreams in? For me it's always English

I'm not bilingual but I'm sorta semi-fluent in British Sign Language. I tend to dream in a mixture of English and BSL.

I do think in both languages and I sometimes dream in English too (native Romanian speaker here). If I am super exposed for a period of time to one of the other languages I have a grasp of I do find myself thinking for a short while in that language as well.
Original post by maracatinca
I do think in both languages and I sometimes dream in English too (native Romanian speaker here). If I am super exposed for a period of time to one of the other languages I have a grasp of I do find myself thinking for a short while in that language as well.

So you can think in Romanian and English?
Original post by momoneyme89
So you can think in Romanian and English?

That is correct. Although by the logic ofexposure=more thinking I assume I'll be thinking a lot more in English once I come to the UK ^^
I quite often think in English, my weaker language, even though I don't feel confident in it. Understanding text or speach, is my strongest part, still even If I can understand everything, somehow I don't trust what I understood and feel confused.
That is correct. Although by the logic ofexposure=more thinking I assume I'll be thinking a lot more in English once I come to the UK ^^

What age do they teach English in Romania?
So you can think in 2 languages? Can you think in any other languages?

I speak a bit of French but no I can't think in it

If I dream about my family it tends to be in Cantonese but if I dream about my friends or other people then it's english
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I speak a bit of French but no I can't think in it

But you can think in Cantonese, right?
The amount of repetitive threads these days are too damn high

Spoiler

But you can think in Cantonese, right?

Yes
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Yes

Can you think in English?
What about when thinking on your own?

nope, on my own I think in English

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
I dream and think mostly in English. But occasionally in my mother tongue, too.

I suppose it is the same as with legs/hands - there is just one dominant one.

Funnily enough, I still count in my mother tongue, because it feels infinitely more comfortable than counting in English. Probably because I learned counting in it, whereas when I learned English, I never really counted. But that is one curiosity I notice over and over again.
What age do they teach English in Romania?

It depends, but mostly in the first year of school I think (6-7 years old), even though some may start earlier and some later. In my case though, I was exposed far earlier than that; I had a couple books in English and, like most of my generation which I'd say is generally good with English, got to watch cartoons that were mainly in this language. Anyway, since most of the media has increasingly contained English throughout the years, it's fair to say I've been in touch with it almost daily for years on end. So in short, it's been more of an organic process for me than a direct result of formal education (even though that certainly helped as well)
My mother tongue is bengalo but I have been taught in English since childhood. I find myself thinking in english more than bengali, mostly because I am weak in Bengali :redface:
Original post by inhuman
I dream and think mostly in English. But occasionally in my mother tongue, too.

I suppose it is the same as with legs/hands - there is just one dominant one.

Funnily enough, I still count in my mother tongue, because it feels infinitely more comfortable than counting in English. Probably because I learned counting in it, whereas when I learned English, I never really counted. But that is one curiosity I notice over and over again.

What is your mother tongue? Can you think in any other languages?
It depends, but mostly in the first year of school I think (6-7 years old), even though some may start earlier and some later. In my case though, I was exposed far earlier than that; I had a couple books in English and, like most of my generation which I'd say is generally good with English, got to watch cartoons that were mainly in this language. Anyway, since most of the media has increasingly contained English throughout the years, it's fair to say I've been in touch with it almost daily for years on end. So in short, it's been more of an organic process for me than a direct result of formal education (even though that certainly helped as well)

So then is your Romanian or English stronger?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending