The Student Room Group

Bad AS Grades

Good evening guys and gals,

Today I found out tha I achieved two D grades in Maths and Biology. And I tried looking but I cant find advice on what I should do, Im thinking about resiting from the start by dropping maths and picking up computer science.
However I heard that some medical schools frown upon students that retake years.

I got a D in maths partly because 2 of the teachers that were teaching C2 and stats left halfway through the year. The highest math grade in my class to my knowledge was a C.

The D in bio was partly because we hadnt been taught all the spec, as two teachers were teaching us the course and one of them had fallen ill for a few months. The highest grade in my class to my knowledge was also a C.

I'm absolutly sure I want to apply to medcine and everything and dont mind taking more time but does anyone know the options I have available?

Thanks for taking time to read this and I hope that this can help some others :smile:
Original post by PolyBrice

Today I found out tha I achieved two D grades in Maths and Biology. And I tried looking but I cant find advice on what I should do, Im thinking about resiting from the start by dropping maths and picking up computer science.
However I heard that some medical schools frown upon students that retake years.

I got a D in maths partly because 2 of the teachers that were teaching C2 and stats left halfway through the year. The highest math grade in my class to my knowledge was a C.

The D in bio was partly because we hadnt been taught all the spec, as two teachers were teaching us the course and one of them had fallen ill for a few months. The highest grade in my class to my knowledge was also a C.

I'm absolutly sure I want to apply to medcine and everything and dont mind taking more time but does anyone know the options I have available?

Thanks for taking time to read this and I hope that this can help some others :smile:

What were your other 2 grades ? and in which subjects ?
If you dont mind me asking
Reply 2
I think it might have to do with your college being **** at teaching, try another college.
Reply 3
Original post by money-for-all
What were your other 2 grades ? and in which subjects ?
If you dont mind me asking

I only do three a levels, the third was Chemistry but that was a internal exam I can get predicted a A in that
When I was at an open day, a guy said that he did really badly in some GCSE's and it was mainly due to his school. The admissions tutor told him to get his references to mention this and something about mitigating circumstances (I'm sorry I cannot remember fully). Could you not contact medical schools, explain your situation and see what their advice is? Also for modular A-Levels, can you not just retake the dodgy modules next year, instead of retaking the whole year?
Original post by PolyBrice

I kind of know how you feel. I underachieved and ended up with 'C' grades for Maths and Biology. But I'm self-taught! I would try to rely less on your teachers if I were you and do most of learning/studying outside of lessons. Don't be disheartened by your results though! If you did Biology under the new linear spec then the grade you got at AS will be irrelevant at A2. Whereas for Maths you may need to resit a few modules.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending