The Student Room Group

University - just need some advice anyone please?

Today like any other A level student I recieved my A level results. Before results day I already had an unconditional offer from a standard university and I intended going there because it was close to home.
I'm going to study English, so i recieved my results today which were BBC. I'm dissappointed as I had a lot going on during the year and tried ny best.
My only problem is that i got the C in English, which i'm supposedly meant to be good at after getting a*'s af gcse.
I don't know whether I should do this course at university or change my mind.
What would you do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated please and thanks☺️
Original post by Maryam0598
Today like any other A level student I recieved my A level results. Before results day I already had an unconditional offer from a standard university and I intended going there because it was close to home.
I'm going to study English, so i recieved my results today which were BBC. I'm dissappointed as I had a lot going on during the year and tried ny best.
My only problem is that i got the C in English, which i'm supposedly meant to be good at after getting a*'s af gcse.
I don't know whether I should do this course at university or change my mind.
What would you do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated please and thanks☺️

A*s at GCSE in English are misleading - as you've probably experienced, English just steps up so much in A-level and can be quite difficult. It doesn't mean that you're bad at it though.

But at the same time, if you think you're not going to be able to cope with the essays / exams at uni, it's worth speaking to someone who's studied (preferably at your uni) to ask how they've found it, what the difficulty is like etc before deciding whether it's the subject for you. There's also more to a uni than it just being local, so perhaps you have more options than you think.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
A*s at GCSE in English are misleading - as you've probably experienced, English just steps up so much in A-level and can be quite difficult. It doesn't mean that you're bad at it though.

But at the same time, if you think you're not going to be able to cope with the essays / exams at uni, it's worth speaking to someone who's studied (preferably at your uni) to ask how they've found it, what the difficulty is like etc before deciding whether it's the subject for you. There's also more to a uni than it just being local, so perhaps you have more options than you think.

Yeah its not really about it being local, they offer the best English course. I've already spoken to someone who has studied at the uni I am going to, they said I would really enjoy it since its different to A-level.
Honestly, its not about coping with the essays, all my subjects were essay based and I was only a few marks of A's in them and along with that I did the epq.
Anyway thanks for your advice and taking your time out to reply☺️

Quick Reply

Latest