The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I got 4 As in my AS results (Physics/Maths/Eco/Arabic) and I have an average UMS of 83% should I consider applying to the computer science course in Cambridge or Oxford
Original post by domaths
How do Cambridge treat extra general subjects like EPQ, Critical Thinking etc. I did Global Perspectives Pre U and got an M1 (equivalent to a B). I would usually think a B isn't very good for Cambridge but because it's not one of my 4 A Levels does it really matter? I will be applying economics if that makes a difference.

Doesn't really matter.
I got AAAB for my AS levels, with the 3 A's being in Physics, Chemistry, and Computer Science (which I have now dropped). The B was in Mathematics - 3 UMS off an A. I got 78 UMS in C1 & C2, and 81 UMS in S1. I'll probably get a predicted grade of A in Maths, and I plan to resit C1 & C2 next year, but nonetheless my Maths UMS is terrible. I don't know my raw marks yet for Physics and Chemistry but I will request them once I return to college.
Should I even bother applying for Physical NatSci?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello, I failed to make my STEP condition and have been pooled. Something that I'm very concerned about is that college officers will be put off by the 2,2 and won't even go on the check how narrow the miss was. Is my concern justified? I do understand that the pool is a second chance and no one is obliged to look at my file again. Still I really hope that perhaps if a college looked beyond the 2,2 and at the marks and at my other achievements I might stand some chance of getting fished
Reply 464
How many mathematicians are placed in the pool each summer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 465
Original post by DarkEnergy
I got AAAB for my AS levels, with the 3 A's being in Physics, Chemistry, and Computer Science (which I have now dropped). The B was in Mathematics - 3 UMS off an A. I got 78 UMS in C1 & C2, and 81 UMS in S1. I'll probably get a predicted grade of A in Maths, and I plan to resit C1 & C2 next year, but nonetheless my Maths UMS is terrible. I don't know my raw marks yet for Physics and Chemistry but I will request them once I return to college.
Should I even bother applying for Physical NatSci?

Sorry but what do you have to lose?? I applied to maths when my further maths ums was the practically the lowest A grade it could've been and I got an offer. If you've wanted to go to Cambridge then you stand a ok chance of an interview with those grades at which point is down to yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Good luck for tomorrow! :smile:

I think that the rule of thumb you need is that you should be happy to talk in some depth about things that you mention on your application. We don't expect you to know everything about it, just enough to show that you have read and thought about this topic. It's not necessary to have loads of different topics but if you do have some evidence of breadth in your interests then that is good. Cambridge History starts out very broad before narrowing down.

Thank you so much! I'll surely keep to that rule of thumb :smile:

I know you're flooded with these questions. I underperformed in my paper 2 history. We aren't too sure why or how, so we might be sending it back for a remark. I got a high B overall, but 60/60 in paper 1. Is it still worth applying for cambridge to read History, my passion and my strongest subject?

I got A's in my other two subjects. They're still going to predict me an A* for history because they know I have the ability, something just went horribly wrong in paper 2 (or the marker was too harsh, as in that paper most of the information came from wider reading and the arguments are a little obscure. Rather than what was more likely to be on the marker guides and came from the textbook. This is only because of my interest in the topic of paper 2, so I may have overwhelmed a little or gone off track. I also didn't finish the paper because I put too much time and got carried away with the essay).

AAB at AS with bad GCSES because of my complex medical issues. Is it still worth applying? :frown: I don't want to get my hopes up if I won't have a chance.

Full marks in my other Histoy paper though, and in all my work throughout the year :u:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello,

I've got a few questions I would like to ask if it's no hassle. first off: If someone were to do a levels early would it benefit them? I've finished my maths a level in year 11 and further maths in year 12. I however unfortunately only got an A* in maths and an A in further - hoping through remarks i can get it to an A*. Would this work to one's favour or would they have some sort of leverage over other applicants? Also seeing as I have done 2 a levels early if I were to sit only one during year 13 would that go against me?

Thank you.
Hello everyone and welcome to a new Ask an Admissions Tutor thread, back for its fourth year.

I will be here for the next month to answer your questions about admissions to Cambridge, especially if you are planning to apply this year but also to help those already holding an offer for this year and waiting for your results.

Do please fire away and I'll answer them as well and as quickly as I can.

I want to apply to maths, and I'm sitting advanced Highers in maths and mechanics and an A level in physics. I would be a mature student. What are my chances of being invited for an interview given my current academic profile will have very little mathematics on it? And is there anything I can do to help get an interview? I was considering doing the first few unit tests for my Advanced Highers to have a grade for them on the application.

Thank you :smile:
Hi, I know a standard offer for Nat Sci is A*A*A. I got an A* in maths A level this summer so could that be part of the offer? Thankyou
Original post by krishdesai7
Hello, I failed to make my STEP condition and have been pooled. Something that I'm very concerned about is that college officers will be put off by the 2,2 and won't even go on the check how narrow the miss was. Is my concern justified? I do understand that the pool is a second chance and no one is obliged to look at my file again. Still I really hope that perhaps if a college looked beyond the 2,2 and at the marks and at my other achievements I might stand some chance of getting fished

Sorry to hear that mate :frown:.
Someone with 2,2 was fished by my college last year and it couldn't have been closer then yours.
I hope you get in man :frown: best of luck let us know how it goes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tempora_mutantur
Hello, I have received AS results for Maths and Further Maths, and I am wondering if they would help to make a competitive application to read economics.
C1, C2, C3 - 100
Further Pure 1 - 91
Mechanics 1 - 96
Statistics 1 - 94
Decision 1 - 98

I am slightly concerned about the statistics result, given that the economics tripos was described as being applied statistics. Should I be considering a resit? I am planning to take S2 and S3 this year.

I apologise if this query is too specific.

Hello and thanks for your question. Well done on your results. There's no need to resit S1, it's a strong score and you need to concentrate on next year and keeping up this good performance rather than trying to rectify something that isn't going to be of concern.
Original post by hunter0raf42
Hello and thankyou for helping answer so many questions! The info here has been an invaluable addition.

I was hoping to apply for Econ @Cambridge and just got my AS results. I was hoping you could give me a bit of advice on this

AS - 5A's // My only topic of concern are my Mech and FP1 Modules in which I scored 75 each. My other modules /C1-96/C2-99/S1-91/S2-88/ are all okay.

Do you think my M1/FP1 modules will be a significant disadvantage and also which subject would be the most appropriate to drop.

Thankyou!

Hello and you're welcome, it;s a pleasure to be able to help. Obviously your results in Maths are a bit up and down but there is evidence of good performance there. M1 isn't really important for Economics but FP1 is a bit of a concern. Basically your Maths results are a bit on the low side but not so much as to rule you out or anything at this stage. Your other results seem very good so well done. I can't tell you what you should drop as you haven't told me what subjects they are! :smile:
Hi,

I got my A2 results yesterday, and am considering applying to Cambridge for English and taking a gap year. Would these grades be considered normal for an applicant, or would they help me to stand out?

Thanks: I am deliberating whether or not it's worth sacrificing the Durham offer I currently hold.

English lit: A* (400/400)
History: A* (388/400)
Latin: A (352/400 - but pending investigation, seems a little low compared to my expectations)
EPQ (English-related) : A* (47/50)

Religious studies AS: a (194/200)
10A*S and 1A at GCSE.
Original post by thatawesomekid
I averaged only 90 ums in maths, should I plan to retake my lowest scoring module for an application to do medicine? 77-ums in S1

There's no need to retake applied modules as the resist will not have happened before you apply and even if you do better it won't affect whether you get an A* in Maths as that comes from C3 and C4. The best thing to do is to look forward and concentrate on putting together as strong an application as you can and doing well in next year's exams.
Original post by jdizzle12345
I got 86UMS in AS Further maths (M1: 96, FP1: 89, M2: 73) which although is not terrible, it is on the low side of Cambridge. However, I am applying for Philosophy, which is relatively unrelated to FM and many applicants will not do this subject. Will I be at a disadvantage for this?

Without seeing your whole application I can't speak definitely about how your FM result would be judged. It's by no means a bad result, however, for someone who is not doing a heavily maths based subjects (though I appreciate that there is some maths in Philosophy). My instinct, therefore, is that it isn;t something you need to worry about much.
Original post by jneill
Dr Spencer, can I just give you an "official" thank you so much, for being around and available and active today. It really makes a difference to have actual Cambridge staff participating and assisting stressed applicants. And makes the job of TSR STs and SLs so much easier.

Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A pleasure, as always. It's been great to be able to help on what is a stressful day for students. Question answering will be a little lighter from me today as I'll be spending quite a lot of the day in the Pool (the Summer variety rather than the outdoor one at Christ's!) but I'd encourage people to keep asking and I'll certainly answer as soon as I can.

I guess I can use this opportunity to say that this is the last thread that I'll be running in this guise as I'm leaving Christ's next month to move to Murray Edwards College to become AT there. I'll be back, however, under a new banner with them, however, to continue my presence here.
Original post by Atticusfalls95
Thank you for your reply. I sat my GCSEs in June 2012 and got A*A*A*AAAAAB. In light of my completed A Levels in 2014, would they play an important part in determining admission? I'm not sure how I leapt from a B in GCSE History to an A* at A Level, but I guess I am a late bloomer.

I doubt that your GCSEs are going to play a massive part in the assessment at this stage given how far removed they are from when you are going to apply.
I guess I can use this opportunity to say that this is the last thread that I'll be running in this guise as I'm leaving Christ's next month to move to Murray Edwards College to become AT there. I'll be back, however, under a new banner with them, however, to continue my presence here.

Ooooh! Congratulations! :smile:
Original post by Watawata
Thanks a lot for your answers and help.

Kind of unrelated, but I don't want to miss the chance of asking. Any insight on tuition fee loans for EU students applying for 2017/2018 entry? I'm kind of worried these will be discontinued; I imagine there are no definitive answers yet (I read somewhere an announcement about this was to be made in early September), but even an educated guess would be nice, if at all possible, since I have to decide between enrolling in university in my home country for this year or waiting to apply to the UK.

At this stage I can only point you towards what the university has said in @jneill's post.

Latest