The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Is the Chemistry course good at Kings?

Well they're a good uni so presumably yes. Ask the uni if you can be put in touch with current students to talk to and visit if you can.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Bloom77

Hi! I'm studying chemistry with biomedicine at King's and going into 2nd year this September. I'm really happy with the course! Lecturers and assistants are always happy to help. Besides, the university has very good resources(labs, etc). Currently, 1st year is common for both Chemistry and Chemistry with Biomedicine students. From 2nd year onwards some subjects are different (one in 2nd year and 3 or 4 in 3rd year). You can check the student handbook of the department of chemistry (kcl webpage) if you are interested in the structure of the course.
If you have any more questions please feel free to ask! :smile:
Original post by Silvia55
Hi! I'm studying chemistry with biomedicine at King's and going into 2nd year this September. I'm really happy with the course! Lecturers and assistants are always happy to help. Besides, the university has very good resources(labs, etc). Currently, 1st year is common for both Chemistry and Chemistry with Biomedicine students. From 2nd year onwards some subjects are different (one in 2nd year and 3 or 4 in 3rd year). You can check the student handbook of the department of chemistry (kcl webpage) if you are interested in the structure of the course.
If you have any more questions please feel free to ask! :smile:

Thank you so much for your reply.
Did you originally want to apply for chemistry with biomedicine?
And what sort of careers are there at the end?
Are there any graduates for this course yet?
Chemistry doesn't appear to be on the leagues table, is there a reason for thi?
thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by Bloom77
Thank you so much for your reply.
Did you originally want to apply for chemistry with biomedicine?
And what sort of careers are there at the end?
Are there any graduates for this course yet?
Chemistry doesn't appear to be on the leagues table, is there a reason for thi?
thank you!

Yes, I did, It was one of my five choices. Although it doesn't appear in any league table because the department of Chemistry at KIng's was reopened in 2012 so the first generation of Msci graduated this year and the first of Bsc last year, so when I applied last year it wasn't ratified yet by the Royal Society of Chemistry (I think it is now). Also, I guess it takes some time to evaluate certain aspects like employability.I decided to go for it because King's, besides from being a very good uni, appeared very high on the tables in pharmacology and other biosciences, which has a lot of relation with Chemistry and Biomed. (Plus, don't always trust legue tables blindly!)
The Msci and Bsc in Chemistry (not with biomed) was offered for the first time last academic year (15/16), so they are introducing modules designed specifically for this degree with more relation with material sciences, such as Nano-scale and extended systems in 2nd year.
About your careers question, I want to do a PhD after my degree and work in scientific research, but I now that many people in my class will do different things, maybe not even related with Chemistry! From this degree you can go into posgrad Medicine, business/finance sector, work in industry, teaching, etc.
Original post by Silvia55
Yes, I did, It was one of my five choices. Although it doesn't appear in any league table because the department of Chemistry at KIng's was reopened in 2012 so the first generation of Msci graduated this year and the first of Bsc last year, so when I applied last year it wasn't ratified yet by the Royal Society of Chemistry (I think it is now). Also, I guess it takes some time to evaluate certain aspects like employability.I decided to go for it because King's, besides from being a very good uni, appeared very high on the tables in pharmacology and other biosciences, which has a lot of relation with Chemistry and Biomed. (Plus, don't always trust legue tables blindly!)
The Msci and Bsc in Chemistry (not with biomed) was offered for the first time last academic year (15/16), so they are introducing modules designed specifically for this degree with more relation with material sciences, such as Nano-scale and extended systems in 2nd year.
About your careers question, I want to do a PhD after my degree and work in scientific research, but I now that many people in my class will do different things, maybe not even related with Chemistry! From this degree you can go into posgrad Medicine, business/finance sector, work in industry, teaching, etc.

This is unbelievable, you've made my day! I managed to get a place to study Chemistry Bsc through adjustment so hearing about how good it is is really encouraging. I am currently aiming to work in either the business/finance sector or in industry. Hopefully I enjoy the course as much as you did!
Reply 6
Original post by kieton123
This is unbelievable, you've made my day! I managed to get a place to study Chemistry Bsc through adjustment so hearing about how good it is is really encouraging. I am currently aiming to work in either the business/finance sector or in industry. Hopefully I enjoy the course as much as you did!

Congrats! Glad to hear that!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest