The Student Room Group

Studying medicine in bulgaria or romania

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ForestCat
Perhaps. But I wouldn't underestimate the difficult of treating patients who don't speak the same language. Plus it isn't all about the medical students. The younger generations might not mind, and probably speak very good English. But how many older patients will want to have to go through a translator because their medical student hasn't bothered to learn the language. Why would they want to go through that in their own country, why should they?

that is true. Do u have any advice on my situation? anything would be much appreciated. I feel very stuck
Original post by PND98
that is true. Do u have any advice on my situation? anything would be much appreciated. I feel very stuck

You're taking a gap year and thats the advice I would normally give. Smash the UKCAT/BMAT and do everything you can to get in this year. Take a 2nd gap year if necessary. I don't think going abroad is the miracle option that everyone seems to think it is. Especially in the wake of Brexit. No one knows how easy it will be to get back in 6 years time.
Reply 22
You're taking a gap year and thats the advice I would normally give. Smash the UKCAT/BMAT and do everything you can to get in this year. Take a 2nd gap year if necessary. I don't think going abroad is the miracle option that everyone seems to think it is. Especially in the wake of Brexit. No one knows how easy it will be to get back in 6 years time.

okay thanks. What's your opinion on doing a degree such as neuroscience and then applying to medicine if i dont get in after my gap year.
Original post by PND98
okay thanks. What's your opinion on doing a degree such as neuroscience and then applying to medicine if i dont get in after my gap year.

Whilst I don't normally advocate aiming for GEM, I think its preferable to going abroad. But you have to be happy with the degree you pick and be able to do well in it. But see how results day goes, see how the UKCAT goes and apply strategically this year and hopefully you'll get in.
Reply 24
Whilst I don't normally advocate aiming for GEM, I think its preferable to going abroad. But you have to be happy with the degree you pick and be able to do well in it. But see how results day goes, see how the UKCAT goes and apply strategically this year and hopefully you'll get in.

okay thanks!
Reply 25
hey! do u know people studying abroad?
its best to ask them whats its like

every system has its pros and cons- in terms of jobs, what I know is that you wont have an issue coming back- I called the GMC to ask them, and that's what they said as of this august.

in terms of the language- its like everything else, it takes time but if you work at it its good because you learn another language. its true you do have to communicate with patients in that language, but I know of people who have done their clinicals in the uk- this helps them when it comes to getting jobs in the UK.

ive applied to Czech medical schools because they seem to have better hospitals in my opinion- larger, better equipped and most doctors and professionals speak English.

there no problem in going through the post grad course, but its a lot more competitive and you might not get in

I know people from Czech medical schools who have gone straight into F2 and know working fine
Reply 26
Original post by lavaman
hey! do u know people studying abroad?
its best to ask them whats its like

every system has its pros and cons- in terms of jobs, what I know is that you wont have an issue coming back- I called the GMC to ask them, and that's what they said as of this august.

in terms of the language- its like everything else, it takes time but if you work at it its good because you learn another language. its true you do have to communicate with patients in that language, but I know of people who have done their clinicals in the uk- this helps them when it comes to getting jobs in the UK.

ive applied to Czech medical schools because they seem to have better hospitals in my opinion- larger, better equipped and most doctors and professionals speak English.

there no problem in going through the post grad course, but its a lot more competitive and you might not get in

I know people from Czech medical schools who have gone straight into F2 and know working fine

okay thanks! Do u know the names of these czech medical schools?
Original post by PND98
Hello haha.
Yeah I considered doing neuroscience but I'm thinking its even more difficult to get into medicine via being a graduate but its certainly an option. It says on a lot of the bulgarian and romanian medical schools that its degree being GMC approved will not be affected by brexit, so that shouldnt be a problem. Yeah the quality of the education might not be as good. im not sure which bulgarian uni is the best in terms of quality of education So i'm not sure haha

Romanian med schools are much better than Bulgarian ones tbh
Reply 28
Original post by Rhaenys10

how come?
Well now from 2020, the UKMLA will be implemented. It's an exams UK student will also have to take as well as foreign students to practice in the UK. So brexit has no real effect on it to be frank.
Original post by Rhaenys10

Why is that
Just throwing my hat into the ring of this dead thread because this came into my feed. I study in Cluj, România. I'm in my second year. I was born in London and did my GCSEs and Alevels there. 3a*s, 6as and a b, followed by AAB in German, Biology and Chemistry. Took a gap year working in a hospital in Germany and then applied to Cluj.

The level of teaching is excellent. The anatomy department is a bit outdated, but big deal. Everything else is very good. The course is in English and you learn Romanian on the side in lessons. Besides, there's no better way of learning a language than being immersed in a country. It's normal to feel a bit homesick every now and then, but everyone else in your year is going through exactly the same thing. It's in the EU, so if you''ve only got a British passport you may be in a sticky situation, but as of yet its not a problem. The degree is fully recognised. It's a 6 year course, the 6th being the same as F1.

Aside from that fees are half of what they are in England, and the cost of living is very cheap. I rent a luxury apartment with a flatmate I met on Facebook and we pay €500 a month together. Including rent I comfortably get by on €550. It's exciting to learn about the new culture in a very nice city where over 25% of the population are students. You can rent a car and go hiking in some pretty amazing wilderness.

As far as getting home is concerned, there are direct flights to multiple places in England from the airport and the airlines are all cheap.

I can absolutely recommend it if your heart is set on medicine. I mean really if you're studying far away from home you're going to see your family about the same amount anyway, so why be afraid?
Reply 32
Original post by Alaric III
Just throwing my hat into the ring of this dead thread because this came into my feed. I study in Cluj, România. I'm in my second year. I was born in London and did my GCSEs and Alevels there. 3a*s, 6as and a b, followed by AAB in German, Biology and Chemistry. Took a gap year working in a hospital in Germany and then applied to Cluj.

The level of teaching is excellent. The anatomy department is a bit outdated, but big deal. Everything else is very good. The course is in English and you learn Romanian on the side in lessons. Besides, there's no better way of learning a language than being immersed in a country. It's normal to feel a bit homesick every now and then, but everyone else in your year is going through exactly the same thing. It's in the EU, so if you''ve only got a British passport you may be in a sticky situation, but as of yet its not a problem. The degree is fully recognised. It's a 6 year course, the 6th being the same as F1.

Aside from that fees are half of what they are in England, and the cost of living is very cheap. I rent a luxury apartment with a flatmate I met on Facebook and we pay €500 a month together. Including rent I comfortably get by on €550. It's exciting to learn about the new culture in a very nice city where over 25% of the population are students. You can rent a car and go hiking in some pretty amazing wilderness.

As far as getting home is concerned, there are direct flights to multiple places in England from the airport and the airlines are all cheap.

I can absolutely recommend it if your heart is set on medicine. I mean really if you're studying far away from home you're going to see your family about the same amount anyway, so why be afraid?

Hi I am looking to apply to study medicine in Romania - keen to understand which agency / if you went through one? (I am currently looking at medlinkstudents - they seem legitimate and really helpful!)

AND generally how did you pick the uni? There are several others, but why Cluj?

Any info would be helpful :smile:

Thanks!
Original post by spate88
Hi I am looking to apply to study medicine in Romania - keen to understand which agency / if you went through one? (I am currently looking at medlinkstudents - they seem legitimate and really helpful!)

AND generally how did you pick the uni? There are several others, but why Cluj?

Any info would be helpful :smile:

Thanks!

Hey, sorry for getting back to you so late, exams have a way of keeping you preoccupied! If this information is reaching you later than the deadline for this application cycle then that's too bad. For future reference; application agencies, as a rule, are a massive waste of money. First of all they can't guarantee your place like they advertise (if you're applying to any respectable uni in Romania they see bribery as pretty unethical). Secondly, unless you're made of money, it's extortion. You can quite easily build your own application by carefully reading through the guidelines. The money you spend on an agency would be much better spent on a plane ticket (and a short holiday) to see the country and university where you might spend the next six years of your life! That's how I did it. Being curteous to the secretary who I handed my application to certainly didn't do any harm either. She gave me tips on some more things that might help my application that weren't specifically mentioned in the guidelines. In answer to your other question: Cluj was the only university I applied to. While putting all your eggs in one basket isn't normally recommended, I had a good feeling about it. Through the research I did about the university and the city, it was the only one in Romania I was interested in. I have absolutely no regrets.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending