The Student Room Group

So scared for my gcses

Scroll to see replies

Original post by caitlinford3
I taught myself core,additional and further additional for chemistry and physics, as well as some geography units and I didn't start until the end of January! I don't think there's any need to do it yet :smile:

Well that's given me some hope! Thank you for the advice.
Try every thinkable technique and find what works for you. Honestly, you do not know how much this actually means. When I say try everything, I literally mean eveerrrrry way that anyone has ever suggested to revise, because there is no perfect way that works for everyone. You just have to try it all and see what really works for you.

Start early. In fact, start as soon as you're ready but give yourself enough time to rinse and repeat. Treat mocks like the real thing, because if you're going to fail you need to fail hard and fast so you learn not to make the same mistakes for the real thing.

I really do wish someone had told me this BEFORE exams, but I am waiting on results day now and you really don't want to be in a position like this - where you find out how to smash your GCSEs, after you've already done them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfslayer1
Try every thinkable technique and find what works for you. Honestly, you do not know how much this actually means. When I say try everything, I literally mean eveerrrrry way that anyone has ever suggested to revise, because there is no perfect way that works for everyone. You just have to try it all and see what really works for you.

Start early. In fact, start as soon as you're ready but give yourself enough time to rinse and repeat. Treat mocks like the real thing, because if you're going to fail you need to fail hard and fast so you learn not to make the same mistakes for the real thing.

I really do wish someone had told me this BEFORE exams, but I am waiting on results day now and you really don't want to be in a position like this - where you find out how to smash your GCSEs, after you've already done them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!! Great advice!
Reply 23
Original post by Happilygrey
Yeah I really understand what you mean! With the sciences I can easily recite the information but i just find it hard to apply the knowledge to the longer questions because after I look at the mark scheme I see how I should of answered it but I answered it without really reading the question.

I did exactly the same! On six mark questions I would always look at the mark schemes first if I had no idea how to answer and then go "ah yeah I would've wrote that down" which I've found to be a bad habit!

but in the actual exam when you're under the stress the six mark questions and the longer questions don't seem as bad because you realise the 2 or 3 questions that came before actually give you the basic information to be able to answer that question plus the way most questions are phrased you realise that they have the answer hidden within them
Original post by an_r
I did exactly the same! On six mark questions I would always look at the mark schemes first if I had no idea how to answer and then go "ah yeah I would've wrote that down" which I've found to be a bad habit!

but in the actual exam when you're under the stress the six mark questions and the longer questions don't seem as bad because you realise the 2 or 3 questions that came before actually give you the basic information to be able to answer that question plus the way most questions are phrased you realise that they have the answer hidden within them

Yeah I think it's just one of those things I have to practice and not stress out so much lol
So I know people that are doing A levels are like GCSEs are so easy. But I'm so worried about my GCSEs, I'm lacking motivation and I'm trying to revise in advance so nearer the time I'm not so unprepared. Anyone got any advice?
gcses aren't easy. They're easier in the sense that you don't have as much stuff to learn and the questions in exams are easier. just find a way to study that you enjoy. Maybe use bbc bitesize or my maths. revise a little bit each day. so maybe do a couple revision questions a day ect.
So I know people that are doing A levels are like GCSEs are so easy. But I'm so worried about my GCSEs, I'm lacking motivation and I'm trying to revise in advance so nearer the time I'm not so unprepared. Anyone got any advice?

Funnily enough I was just talking to someone else about this issue! It really annoys me! I've just done my AS levels and I really don't think GCSE's are easy. Yes, the content in A level *is* harder but you have to do so many subjects at GCSE and that's harder in many ways because they aren't all subjects you want to do! I feel you man :smile:
Original post by amylaraman
gcses aren't easy. They're easier in the sense that you don't have as much stuff to learn and the questions in exams are easier. just find a way to study that you enjoy. Maybe use bbc bitesize or my maths. revise a little bit each day. so maybe do a couple revision questions a day ect.

Thanks!!
No problem at all,

I wish you the very best, you'll do great!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same, i have never got higher than D's and I tried SO hard. I will cry if I get Cs. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Im_trying
Same, i have never got higher than D's and I tried SO hard. I will cry if I get Cs. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

We'll be okay. Good luck x
There's a lot of contradictory advice in this thread! Whilst you don't want to burn yourself out, consistency is key I think.
So my advice would be to create good habits now - work out the foolproof way to motivate yourself and prevent you from procrastinating - even if you make some mistakes now it's not the end of the world because you have a bit of time still. This way by the time exams are looming you will have a solid study plan and just be able to get on with it!
Good luck!
Tip: READ ur revision guide often starting from September and keep reading over and over again like in school or before u go to bed idk but throughout the entire year, it will be so much easier to memorise later on during April time esp bc it improves ur photographic memory like you will be able to remember page layouts and key points in a chronological order. This tip was unusual but given by my science teacher and honestly it actually works lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
We'll be okay. Good luck x

Yeah lets hope so
Hi I am also going to yr 11. I am scared too. And english is too much cuz I have lots of poetry to learn and obviously on top of that I have 3 books to revise and etc. It's too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Raji2001
Hi I am also going to yr 11. I am scared too. And english is too much cuz I have lots of poetry to learn and obviously on top of that I have 3 books to revise and etc. It's too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I know English is so hard cause we have to remember all the poems!!
Any revision tips?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest