The Student Room Group

Sheffield or warwick with irrelevant course

I want to get into investment banking, i originally had an offer for Economics at sheffield, but managed to get a space on Politics and international studies at Warwick; which would make life easier or expose me to the best probabilities?

its that or a gap year...
Take warwick, do it
Original post by glebp
Take warwick, do it

i feel having no economic/mathematical component will be a pretty bad hindrance when applying to banks so i gotta think on it...

A space cropped up on PPE and they said no cos i didnt have gcse maths at A grade- yet had a B, a D in AS maths and A* economics a level.....
Original post by Economics-newb
i feel having no economic/mathematical component will be a pretty bad hindrance when applying to banks so i gotta think on it...

A space cropped up on PPE and they said no cos i didnt have gcse maths at A grade- yet had a B, a D in AS maths and A* economics a level.....

You don't need maths to work in IB, literally. It is a common misconception

congrats on the A* in econ though, I also got that this morning
Original post by glebp
You don't need maths to work in IB, literally. It is a common misconception

congrats on the A* in econ though, I also got that this morning

Awesome, where u gonna go? i know i dont need maths, but i feel itd help alot having econ from the same uni
Awesome, where u gonna go? i know i dont need maths, but i feel itd help alot having econ from the same uni

warwick but part of my offer was gcse retakes, so im gonna find out next week if i get in
I want to get into investment banking, i originally had an offer for Economics at sheffield, but managed to get a space on Politics and international studies at Warwick; which would make life easier or expose me to the best probabilities?

its that or a gap year...

Hey There

Wait a minute let me get this right so you want to go into the world of Investment banking which is a great profession, I mean wolf of wall street clearly proved that so great choice. and then your dilemma is choosing between Economics and Politics & International studies? The is no comparison here Warwick is a better ranked University but what they Offering wont really touch Investment banking, Where as Economics will. So even though Warwick is great its not gonna equip you with as much knowledge when it comes to Investment banking as Sheffield. Maybe try and call Warwick to try and see if they will offer you a place on one of their Economics courses.

Good Luck
Original post by Zee Frederick
Hey There

Wait a minute let me get this right so you want to go into the world of Investment banking which is a great profession, I mean wolf of wall street clearly proved that so great choice. and then your dilemma is choosing between Economics and Politics & International studies? The is no comparison here Warwick is a better ranked University but what they Offering wont really touch Investment banking, Where as Economics will. So even though Warwick is great its not gonna equip you with as much knowledge when it comes to Investment banking as Sheffield. Maybe try and call Warwick to try and see if they will offer you a place on one of their Economics courses.

Good Luck

since investment banks hire almost exclusively from the G5 (including warwick), and appear to care more about uni name than course- history courses at warwick and UCL both mention careers at goldman sachs.

its ridiculous

tbf, having already done economics at A-level- its only useful if your running the country, not from a finanace point of view. most training is on the job
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by glebp
warwick but part of my offer was gcse retakes, so im gonna find out next week if i get in

Good luck, might see you there soon!
since investment banks hire almost exclusively from the G5 (including warwick), and appear to care more about uni name than course- history courses at warwick and UCL both mention careers at goldman sachs.

its ridiculous

tbf, having already done economics at A-level- its only useful if your running the country, not from a finanace point of view. most training is on the job

This is false, just because statistically more students from G5 get recruited that doesn't mean banks "actively" recruit exclusively from G5. It simply means the majority of the top candidates happen to go there.

The only thing that is exclusive to G5 is all the banks visit them for networking events.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
This is false, just because statistically more students from G5 get recruited that doesn't mean banks "actively" recruit exclusively from G5. It simply means the majority of the top candidates happen to go there.

The only thing that is exclusive to G5 is all the banks visit them for networking events.

i worded it badly- what i mean is they have the best shots, so ive taken up a less relevant course for those benefits
i worded it badly- what i mean is they have the best shots, so ive taken up a less relevant course for those benefits

Is that a smart choice, because I was thinking to do the exact same thing. Like do a degree I like as the banks will almost certainly come to the networking events at these unis.
Original post by glebp

What course are you doing?
Original post by 10Fatanda
What course are you doing?

International management
Original post by glebp
International management

good luck on next week
Original post by Zee Frederick
Hey There

Good Luck

Isn't that the point of the internships, where you learn? I would say take Warwick they are a target uni so many firms will come.
there is no maths in investment banking lol

the hardest we do is division, and excel even does it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending