The Student Room Group

Applying to LSE with BBC at AS?

LSE is my dream university. My AS grades took me by surprise - I'm aware they're quite low for a uni like LSE but I was under the impression that as long as I am predicted the grades of a typical offer, along side an amazing personal statement (which I'm hoping to have), I stand a fair chance of recieving an offer? Am I right to think this?

Update: I do 4 A levels. The fourth is a linear course - my mock exam received a B also. Therefore BBBC overall
(edited 7 years ago)
What do you wish to study?

Don't forget It is such competitive university with people applying with AAA/ grades and good GCSEs.. And a good set of predicted grades and perfect personal statement.

You could sit your a2 exams and reapply in ur gap year maybe ?
Original post by lulucoco98
What do you wish to study?

Don't forget It is such competitive university with people applying with AAA/ grades and good GCSEs.. And a good set of predicted grades and perfect personal statement.

You could sit your a2 exams and reapply in ur gap year maybe ?

I realise this! Feeling vvvvv disheartened :frown: I hope to study politics & international relations or politics & philosophy, if that makes any difference.

I see reapplying in my gap year as a good option, however I'm still not guaranteed to get an offer then, which worries me.

Thanks for your reply.
Original post by elleinterrupted
I realise this! Feeling vvvvv disheartened :frown: I hope to study politics & international relations or politics & philosophy, if that makes any difference.

I see reapplying in my gap year as a good option, however I'm still not guaranteed to get an offer then, which worries me.

Thanks for your reply.

Don't feel disheartened, those are good grades!! And u can still apply to good Russell groups if that helps- have a good think and chat to a parent or knowledgeable teacher!!

Thanks for your reply.

Do LSE offer degrees in those combinations?
Original post by ageshallnot
Do LSE offer degrees in those combinations?

They do indeed
They do indeed

Ah yes, hidden under the heading of 'Government'! Great usability (not) on the most old fashioned uni website in existence!!! :smile:

Given that both courses want AAA, your record of BBC (even with adequate predictions) isn't going to excite them. Have a go, but as you suggest applying post A-level with (hopefully) at least AAA might be a more successful option. No one is ever guaranteed a place on any course. If you don't get in this year or next, then go somewhere else good and excel. Then if LSE is still an itch you need to scratch, consider a postgrad course there.
Original post by ageshallnot
Ah yes, hidden under the heading of 'Government'! Great usability (not) on the most old fashioned uni website in existence!!! :smile:

Given that both courses want AAA, your record of BBC (even with adequate predictions) isn't going to excite them. Have a go, but as you suggest applying post A-level with (hopefully) at least AAA might be a more successful option. No one is ever guaranteed a place on any course. If you don't get in this year or next, then go somewhere else good and excel. Then if LSE is still an itch you need to scratch, consider a postgrad course there.

Very true - the ten minute long explanation as to why the new courses are named 'politics & ..' as opposed to their traditional 'government' seemed to make sense to them at the open day.

I see. Thanks very much for the advice.
Very true - the ten minute long explanation as to why the new courses are named 'politics & ..' as opposed to their traditional 'government' seemed to make sense to them at the open day.

hot

Did they try to explain the orange, underlined, 1997-vintage links on their website??? :tongue:
No harm in applying tbh.

LSE cares a lot about your personal statement, so if you have the right predictions and a sick personal statement then you should have at least a chance.

Did you have any extenuating circumstances that affected you during your exams? If so then you can mention them to the LSE admissions team.
Reply 11
i applied to do law at LSE and apparently I made it to the final stage where they picked the best candidates out of a narrowed selection pool. i think it was my predictions (A*AA) and personal statement that got their attention, but then they asked for my AS grades. my AS grades aren't great, just ABBD and they rejected me after seeing them :frown:But law is a pretty competitive course there, I'm not sure if the standards would be as harsh for you. either way, there's no harm in applying!
Reply 12
Wouldn't do it. Despite it being a dream, you have to have something to back it up. And do you have 3 As levels only? If so then definitely don't apply with this.
I know it's sad but you will save your time and a uni on UCAS as LSE will probably say no from the get go (despite an incredible personal statement).
Original post by 130398
Wouldn't do it. Despite it being a dream, you have to have something to back it up. And do you have 3 As levels only? If so then definitely don't apply with this.
I know it's sad but you will save your time and a uni on UCAS as LSE will probably say no from the get go (despite an incredible personal statement).

No I have 4. The fourth is linear but my mock exam this year I received a B. Therefore BBBC technically.
Original post by anonwinner
No harm in applying tbh.

LSE cares a lot about your personal statement, so if you have the right predictions and a sick personal statement then you should have at least a chance.

Did you have any extenuating circumstances that affected you during your exams? If so then you can mention them to the LSE admissions team.

Thanks for the optimism. I'd have to look into extenuating circumstances as I may have something to write. Thank you.
Reply 15
No I have 4. The fourth is linear but my mock exam this year I received a B. Therefore BBBC technically.

Doesn't really change much. Had a classmate last year who applied with AAAB (Maths, Further Maths, Computing and Economics). To be fair, he did apply for Economics and got a B in As (resat the module he messed up in January and got 98% in it for a high A) but his other 3 were all above 90 UMS. His personal statement was...well...quite damn impressive and he had 8 A* at GCSE with 1 B.
Guess what, he got rejected from the begging.
I know that Economics is a very competitive course in LSE but so are most of them.
If your course is not competitive then maybe, just maybe.
(I approach things with pessimism, so don't be thrown off too much)
I aplied to LSE with ABC at AS, I got the the last stage of the process and was declined because of the 'quality of other candiated Personal Statement'. So I think its worth a try to apply.
Original post by hascho9
I aplied to LSE with ABC at AS, I got the the last stage of the process and was declined because of the 'quality of other candiated Personal Statement'. So I think its worth a try to apply.

Thank you for this.
Thank you for this.

"
The feedback we have received from the Admissions Selector indicates that your application was unsuccessful as a consequence of the exceptional standard of the personal statements of other applicants this year. " .
- this was for Finance and Statistics

Just dont be like me and flop second year aswell

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending