The Student Room Group

What is this A level reforms?

It's an irony that I'm bringing this up while the results dat is less than 24 hours away.

Not a long ago, I read an article which was about this "controversial" a level reforms. So far, what I know is that AS level is no longer considered and this's triggering many elite institutes to come up with their own admission tests. It also mentioned that AS levels are the best predictors of how well a student will perform. If I understood it correctly, it sounded as if A level is becoming more IB-like such as taking all exams at the end of A2. Can you tell me what the reforms exactly about and how is it controversial?

I'm sure by this point, you may have noticed that I'm an IB student. If I explain about myself, I was an IB graduate from this summer. Also, good luck on the results day TSR (y)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

EDEXCEL student here.

To sum it up, AS Levels is basically just a mock now. Your AS grades will only be used for predicted grades if you are not able to continue with Year 13 (which you use for uni obviously). Reformation is still in the first phase so certain AS subjects (Chemistry, Physics, etc.) will NOT contribute anything to your overall A-Level grade. In other words, unless you can't continue year 13, the results don't mean anything.

It's a shame Maths is only getting the new spec in the new phase though :frown:.
Reply 3
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

I've realised that there was a specific education forum in TSR as soon as I began this thread. So I started a same thread in that forum (still no reply tho) as I didn't figure out how to remove this thread but it's fine thanks.
Reply 4
Original post by CaptainJackFail
EDEXCEL student here.

To sum it up, AS Levels is basically just a mock now. Your AS grades will only be used for predicted grades if you are not able to continue with Year 13 (which you use for uni obviously). Reformation is still in the first phase so certain AS subjects (Chemistry, Physics, etc.) will NOT contribute anything to your overall A-Level grade. In other words, unless you can't continue year 13, the results don't mean anything.

It's a shame Maths is only getting the new spec in the new phase though :frown:.

So to summerise, it became more like GCSE or IB style? Also you have my sympathy, being lab animals for the new system is pain in the a$$. I was also first yr student who took newly styled exams in natural science :tongue:
Original post by jk2212
So to summerise, it became more like GCSE or IB style? Also you have my sympathy, being lab animals for the new system is pain in the a$$. I was also first yr student who took newly styled exams in natural science :tongue:

Yeah, it became more like GCSE. As of now, like I said, certain AS subjects would be standalone qualification. By September 2017, every AS subject under edexcel's board is going to be a standalone qualification.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest