The Student Room Group

First Year Vs Second Year of University?

Hello there freshers and not so fresh students,

Basically I am moving into second year this year after making the most of my freshers lifestyle. I am in a really nice house with my best mates and it all looks like it is going to be good :smile:

I was wondering for those of you in 3rd year (or know of people that have experienced second year) how good 2nd year is compared to being a fresher?

I would like to know how the workload differs, how often you went out, how the parties were different... basically, how much fun did you have in comparison!

TL;DR - Is 2nd year as good as first year?
Second year takes the saying "Work hard, Play hard" to a whole new level and puts a bit more emphasis on the work hard part. I'd guess most people would go out once or twice per week and going out starts shifting more towards house parties and bars than clubbing. It's definitely more fun as you know your way around now and have a group of good friends but still haven't exhausted new opportunities or met everyone.
As with any question regarding someones experience at university, it is what you make of it. In comparison, I had just as much fun with it, but naturally the workload increases a fair bit. You'll have to devote more time to your studies, especially given the 2nd year will (In most cases) be the first to count towards your degree classification.

You can still enjoy the parties and going out, but bear in mind that you elected to come to university to study a degree above all else.
Original post by ScruffyQuaver
Hello there freshers and not so fresh students,

Basically I am moving into second year this year after making the most of my freshers lifestyle. I am in a really nice house with my best mates and it all looks like it is going to be good :smile:

I was wondering for those of you in 3rd year (or know of people that have experienced second year) how good 2nd year is compared to being a fresher?

I would like to know how the workload differs, how often you went out, how the parties were different... basically, how much fun did you have in comparison!

TL;DR - Is 2nd year as good as first year?

Hello :biggrin:

Second Year is really what you make it, like First Year really. It's how you handle the work load and how much you want to go out etc - it also depends on the university and the course you are doing.

For me, personally, Second Year the workload increased and as long as I planned it out I was okay - I put a certain amount of time aside for study and more for free time and what not. I went out at the beginning of term and then when the work picked up, I went out less and probably went out once every other week and then nearer the end I started going out more, the parties aren't much different, perhaps just different people e.g. first years that you've made friends with etc.

I enjoyed Second Year purely because it was moving up in the year, the course, new friends and what not. Plus you already know the workings of university etc.

Best of luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest