The Student Room Group

GCSE Art

Hi everyone
I am picking my gcse options soon and was thinking to choose Art. If anyone has done/is still doing art as a GCSE, i would appreciate if you shared your experience, advice etc to give me an insight of what it's like. This will further help me to come to a decision whether i should choose art or not.

Speaking as someone who enjoyed art (and is taking it at A-Level) here's my thoughts:

It can be really fun if you know the techniques and there are new skills you learn in art. If you are good at drawing and can handle the pressure then go for it!

For your coursework, you're mainly building up a portfolio to set up in Year 11 as an exhibition to the examiner. You can follow a certain topic which your teacher will usually give a choice over. You have final pieces which are pretty big but if you know what you're doing, can really show your art skills in a good light. I don't know what exam board your school has but we had OCR at ours and we had 60% and 40% (40% being exam work) the 40% ended with a 10 hour exam which builds the pressure, but if you're prepared and can stand being quiet for 10 hours, then can be really rewarding.

That's it really, if you have any questions or need anything, just reply or PM me!
Reply 2
Original post by XLittleSparrowX
Speaking as someone who enjoyed art (and is taking it at A-Level) here's my thoughts:

It can be really fun if you know the techniques and there are new skills you learn in art. If you are good at drawing and can handle the pressure then go for it!

For your coursework, you're mainly building up a portfolio to set up in Year 11 as an exhibition to the examiner. You can follow a certain topic which your teacher will usually give a choice over. You have final pieces which are pretty big but if you know what you're doing, can really show your art skills in a good light. I don't know what exam board your school has but we had OCR at ours and we had 60% and 40% (40% being exam work) the 40% ended with a 10 hour exam which builds the pressure, but if you're prepared and can stand being quiet for 10 hours, then can be really rewarding.

That's it really, if you have any questions or need anything, just reply or PM me!

Hey thanks for your comment :smile:

So I was just gonna ask, for the portfolio do you get to choose a topic of your choice? And what is it made of? (Drawings, paintings, prints etc?!)

Lastly, is Art a subject where there's loadss of work and is quite stressing to handle?
Original post by Amethyst_
Hey thanks for your comment :smile:

So I was just gonna ask, for the portfolio do you get to choose a topic of your choice? And what is it made of? (Drawings, paintings, prints etc?!)

Lastly, is Art a subject where there's loadss of work and is quite stressing to handle?

For us, in Year 10 we got given a range of artists to choose to work on and then your topic starts growing from there. The portfolio is made of everything you say above. Drawings, paintings, prints. You also do work of your own in the style of artist(s) and usually, it's photography and editing then working on drawing/painting some of that. After a while, it all joined together into a final piece in about December time in Year 11.

If you keep on top of the work, take some home and try to complete it, it shouldn't get too stressful. If you love art and get really into it, taking it home and completing it will be so easy it won't be like normal homework! Before the final exam in April Year 11 it is a little stressful but if you just keep your cool and prepare, you'll do brilliantly!
Original post by Amethyst_
Hi everyone
I am picking my gcse options soon and was thinking to choose Art. If anyone has done/is still doing art as a GCSE, i would appreciate if you shared your experience, advice etc to give me an insight of what it's like. This will further help me to come to a decision whether i should choose art or not.

Just finished GCSE art and to be honest, although it was a lot of work, I really enjoyed ! Year 10 was easier than year 11 but when you begin year 10, the work load gives you a bit of a shock though- my first hw I got was a research page with 3 small drawings due two days later - quite tight deadlines... However you do get used to it if you manage your time well and when it comes to the exam season, you don't have anything to revise !
The most time limited part of the year is the end of year 11, I had 3 months to fill my exam sketchbook with research, BIG drawings etc. Use your lunchime or go after school if you can!
If you love art you will enjoy GCSE as it gave me a chance to develop skills and use different mediums such as paint, pen, etching, lino printing and mono printing.
Ask yourself if you love art enough to dedicate 5-10 hours a week for doing the work. If you manage your time then you will find yourself coping fine and doing well in all the rest of your subjects too!
If you don't mind me asking, what level are you at at the moment or can I see a drawing :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest