The Student Room Group

BTEC Distinction* substitute for A*?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Computer Geek
BTEC D* is about the same as a B at A2 for most universities that accept BTEC, so I'm going to say it's unlikely.

No it's like an A* a D*D*D* at national diploma level would give you over 300 UCAS points
Original post by nulli tertius
You won't have made your offer unless the offer conditions specify that a BTEC can be substituted for A levels.

If you get an offer BBB and you get A*A*C, you haven't made your offer.

Whether they will accept you is a different matter.

Especially if the C isn't related to your degree.
Say i finished A2 next year with A*BC in maths , further maths & Physics with a D* in btec Ict & wanted to study maths at Uni , but the requirements were ABB would i have a good chance of getting in?
Original post by English-help
Say i finished A2 next year with A*BC in maths , further maths & Physics with a D* in btec Ict & wanted to study maths at Uni , but the requirements were ABB would i have a good chance of getting in?

Yes

If you get A*B in maths and FM for an ABB maths course then you're in with a very good chance. Maths courses rarely give a **** about grades beyond the maths/FM results (apart from STEP results for some courses).
Reply 24
Kent is asking for AAB for CompSci, I have decided that I want to take up double BTEC to qualify for the two A's (achieve Distinction for both the 6 units) and get a B or a C which still calculates the UCAS points needed to get on to the course. Do you think that this is a safe idea?
Original post by PQ
Yes

If you get A*B in maths and FM for an ABB maths course then you're in with a very good chance. Maths courses rarely give a **** about grades beyond the maths/FM results (apart from STEP results for some courses).

Okay thanks!:smile:
Original post by Dnkz7
Kent is asking for AAB for CompSci, I have decided that I want to take up double BTEC to qualify for the two A's (achieve Distinction for both the 6 units) and get a B or a C which still calculates the UCAS points needed to get on to the course. Do you think that this is a safe idea?

You should contact them and ask about the subjects you're hoping to study too

Their website asks for DDD from a BTEC ED - they're not using direct tariff equivalents. https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/124/computer-science#!entry
Reply 27
I checked which university and contacted Kent via the hotline and they said they will consider all application on a case-by-case basis, regardless of their qualifications. This explains why Which University says that their offer rate is 38%. It doesn't guarantee me or any others a place but it ensures that the ones with a good personal statement and mitigating factors will probably be considered against the others who don't show this.
Original post by Dnkz7
I checked which university and contacted Kent via the hotline and they said they will consider all application on a case-by-case basis, regardless of their qualifications. This explains why Which University says that their offer rate is 38%. It doesn't guarantee me or any others a place but it ensures that the ones with a good personal statement and mitigating factors will probably be considered against the others who don't show this.

That's promising

I think if you're applying with a mix of BTEC and A levels for their course I'd try to get your predictions (and then meet those predictions) to D*D* for the BTEC. From their standard offer it does look like they don't consider it to be a direct equivalent so out performing at BTEC might be needed.
Original post by ckfeister
What a load of bulls***

Pearson BTEC Subsidiary Diploma (QCF): D* 56 points
A-Level Maths: A* : 56 points

It is the
s a m e.
But not all universities accept BTEC, majority do.

How about instead of using the UCAS tariff to back up your story, you find a case where a university has accepted a D* at BTEC over A2 Maths at A*?

How about find a university that has a BTEC requirement that is in line with the UCAS tariff?

Let's look at BCU, say their Computer Science course:

For BTEC, they want DMM - 280 UCAS points, which in your case is the "same" as ABB.

For A2, they want BBC. So why the discrepancy if A Levels are the same as BTEC?

Let's look at the higher end, the University of Manchester, say their electronic engineering course:

For BTEC, they want DDM, which is the "same" as AAB

For A2, they want AAA with Maths and Physics. So why the discrepancy again?

One last example to prove what you're saying is wrong, look at the University of Birmingham, Computer Science:

For BTEC, they want D*D* in place of 2 A Levels, with the third having to be A Level Maths at A.

For A2, they'd happily take someone with AAA including maths, so why is there yet another discrepancy?

Is this all just coincidence or do universities not value BTEC?
How about instead of using the UCAS tariff to back up your story, you find a case where a university has accepted a D* at BTEC over A2 Maths at A*?

How about find a university that has a BTEC requirement that is in line with the UCAS tariff?

For BTEC, they want DMM - 280 UCAS points, which in your case is the "same" as ABB.

Let's look at the higher end, the University of Manchester, say their electronic engineering course:

One last example to prove what you're saying is wrong, look at the University of Birmingham, Computer Science:

For BTEC, they want D*D* in place of 2 A Levels, with the third having to be A Level Maths at A.

For A2, they'd happily take someone with AAA including maths, so why is there yet another discrepancy?

Ok so,
University of Kent, Mathematics with Secondary Education.

requirements;
A in Maths; CC in 2 other A-Levels... or MM(CC), gg.

Also,
D* = A*
D = A
M = C
P = E

So BBC can't be DDM as thats AAC so DMM is BBC, logical people these days.
Ok so,
University of Kent, Mathematics with Secondary Education.

requirements;
A in Maths; CC in 2 other A-Levels... or MM(CC), gg.

You're forgetting that tariff you mentioned earlier, pretty sure that M is a B, not a C on that scale.

Did you miss post 19

Oxford consider BTEC to be tariff equivalent to A levels
You're forgetting that tariff you mentioned earlier, pretty sure that M is a B, not a C on that scale.

M is a C, not a B,

M tariaff points is 32.
B is 40 points
C is 32 points.

MMM would be CCC
DDM would be AAC
DMM is ACC which is same as BBC.

Get facts before trying to think BTEC is inferior.
M is a C, not a B,

M tariaff points is 32.
B is 40 points
C is 32 points.

MMM would be CCC
DDM would be AAC
DMM is ACC which is same as BBC.

Get facts before trying to think BTEC is inferior.

It's better if we don't even talk about BTEC being inferior to A Levels, this was just how universities view BTECs.
It doesn't matter. Once you apply they will lay our your offer in terms of the distinction and two other requires grades. You wouldn't need to convert between them. Depends what course you want to do as well, if it's business related then a D* in business would make your A* I suppose.
It's better if we don't even talk about BTEC being inferior to A Levels, this was just how universities view BTECs.

Only top elite universities don't accept. I'm actaully doing BTEC Dip Science + homeschool A-Level Maths (currently I find it super easy A-Level maths) and to become Maths teacher :smile:
No it can't. Maybe substitute for a C
They should take you on but i think its up to the university, not all of them accept BTECS

Quick Reply

Latest