The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are Drug Dealers at fault or Drug Addicts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You guys know those adrenaline freaks? You know, extreme climbers, those bat guys flying through the air?

Yea, they don't have a high life expectancy. Why is no one talking about that? Well it's far less people, but it is equally dangerous.

Are the manufacturers of such equipment to blame? The retailers of such equipment?

Why should drug dealers be at blame? Assuming they are just that, not pimps or gangs that for example hook girls on drugs make them dependent so they are obedient or something like that.

Why no mention of parents, friends (bad influences), etc.?
Original post by Blank_Planet
I can't imagine a society where heroin or cocaine are available in pharmacies for everyone though...

You only have to go back 100 or so years.
Reply 22
Original post by dingleberry jam
No need to be sorry, it's just a bit weird, but turns out you have used drugs anyway.

Alochol is not really drugs don't try to use technicalities, reaching for so far for what?

I've had a wine, and maybe a sip of beer but nothing much, and it gets me drunk quickly. Like someone said, all about situations and how it affects each individual person. You can't really say i've taken drugs and experienced when i've only taken a sip of wine at work where it's behind the bar.

Like alcohol? Very hard to come clean off that, similar dependence rate to cocaine too.

Okay, but today we are talking about hard ass drugs, coacine and heroin.
Reply 23
Original post by Brahmin of Booty
The addicts are to blame.

Original post by alevelstresss
Both are at some degree of fault, but I think the actual drug user is majorly more responsible, the risks are becoming exceedingly easy to research.

Why?

Original post by Davalla
Facebook discussions = :facepalm:
Original post by elmosandy
Alochol is not really drugs

Course it is. How is it not?

I've had a wine, and maybe a sip of beer but nothing much, and it gets me drunk quickly. Like someone said, all about situations and how it affects each individual person. You can't really say i've taken drugs and experienced when i've only taken a sip of wine at work where it's behind the bar.
You've taken drugs and got high.

Okay, but today we are talking about hard ass drugs, coacine and heroin.

Alcohol is a hard ass drug.
Why?

Because they're making a choice, when you get to the age of 18, whatever you do is your own fault, all the ramifications are on you. I find it so pathetic that people think adults need to be protected from themselves and their own decisions. A drug dealer is just a businessman, like a pub landlord or a corner shop owner.
(edited 7 years ago)
Drug dealing is a business, probably not the most moral of businesses out there, but certainly not the worst. When you look at the money at stake, the opportunities, the market and all the little perks that come along with the industry, such as working for yourself, no tax, cash in hand...well there's small wonder why so many people choose to deal class A and B drugs.

The consumers are at fault here. They give the dealers their money and often ruin their lives and their finances in the process. If they had a little bit of discipline, they'd get their highs through cleaner habits.

At the end of the day, fast food, cigarettes, alcohol, hookahs and excessive eating are all hazardous. The Asian dude round the corner to me serves the most greasy, disgusting fried chicken burgers I've ever seen, and I'd sooner smoke a cigarette than ever scoff down one of those abominations that some call food. But I can't blame the fella for selling that stuff since others willingly devour it without thinking twice.
Why?

Users are at fault for getting addicted, the health and financial, and even social risks are made abundantly clear nowadays.

But the drug dealers are at fault for already addicted people continuing at ease, and for supplying them originally.
Original post by Brahmin of Booty
Because they're making a choice, when you get to the age of 18, whatever you do is your own fault, all the ramifications are on you. I find it so pathetic that people think adults need to be protected from themselves and their own decisions. A drug dealer is just a businessman, like a pub landlord or a corner shop owner.

You wizard. How did you know what I was going to say?
Reply 29
Original post by alevelstresss
Users are at fault for getting addicted, the health and financial, and even social risks are made abundantly clear nowadays.

But the drug dealers are at fault for already addicted people continuing at ease, and for supplying them originally.

I mean why do you think addicts are the sole fault .
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
You wizard. How did you know what I was going to say?

I got the magic stick

Spoiler

I mean why do you think addicts are the sole fault .

Because they are making a choice.

If I cash in all my investments, empty my bank account and pop to the corner shop to buy thousands of cigarettes I am the one to blame for my own stupidity. It's not the corner shop owner's fault for stocking them. Me. It's all on me. Christ.
Discussion on Facebook today-

Are Drug Dealers at fault for the destruction of addict lives or is it the drug addicts themselves who are responsible? - Which decision would you make to say who's solely responsible? You can have a opinion of both , but I want to know what do you think- who's fault is it? the drug dealer at fault overall or addicts? Which one? ( both meaning you think both are at fault but overall I think .. xyd ..., )

I'm in two sides of this, but I think the Drug Dealer is more in the wrong even if the addicts are more responsible to what happens to their lives.

Some people argue comparable to going to mcdonalds and then blaming them for your bad health but then again I see saying a drug addict is totally fault as saying ' if you didn't wear short skirts you wouldn't be attacked raped, etc ' or even such as ' you put yourself in that position, drunk, anything can happen, you can't defend yourself, you knew this while you were taking a drink, therefore you shouldn't cry rape or whatever'..

Just wanted to know everyone's opinion.

Credits to whoever moved this in society.

* edit, this is not put there to judge, I have not taken drugs, nor do I intend do, just simply following a discussion on facebook where a mother shared a photo of her baby ashes and the comments were filled with ' well, sorry it is sad, but it''s not drug dealers fault at all. '

IMHO both are at fault. Some people are addicted to sniffing glue and aerosols which aren't provided to them by drug dealers. Would you call a pub or a barman a drug dealer? Seeing as alcohol is a drug that has ruined many lives and killed many people over the years.

In terms of Class A and Class B drugs I blame the dealers for continuously providing the addicts and also blame the addicts for their lack of willpower and inability to do drugs and keep their lives in order. I blame the dealers for messing around with ingredients that increase the potency of party drugs. I blame the addicts for getting into the mindset that they can't have a good night out or party unless they're drugged up.

I smoke the herb every now and then, did through college and uni yet I still graduated with a 2:1 and work in senior management now. If you already have a lazy ass mindset then certain drugs will just enhance on that and make you even lazier.
It really doesn't surprise me that low class Brits are drug addled fatties with a tonne of debts based on this thread.
Reply 34
Course it is. How is it not?
You've taken drugs and got high.

Pedantic. Really Pedantic.

So is a little 8 year old who had a sip of alcohol at their aunties brithday family dinner and got tipsy and then never touches alcohol in the space of 22 years can possibly say they've taken drugs? Situations can vary, this is literally one sip of glass of wine and some beers and got light not really comparable to someone who drinks occasionally or has had a fair bit of alcohol. I haven't taken drugs. Alcohol isn't something i've really consumed either. I don't know why we have to reach so far. Weed and cocaine are automatically classed as drugs, people have asked me if I ever smoked or drink, if they were all seen as drugs, the 'or' in the question wouldn't be happening mate.

We are talking about cocaine today. Crack cocaine and heroin. Real drugs that affect people lives in a short space of time. Not weed or anything else, just drugs. You can keep saying alcohol is a drug. Stuff your technicalities.

In reality, it goes like this= people don't use the word drugs to describe alcohol, there's a reason. Alcohol is refereed as alcohol and weed and substances are referered as drugs, if alcohol was realistically seen as as the same in reality, then it wouldn't have a separate name, you can keep your technicalities. Weed,smoking and alcohol are three different things.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Quintilius
IMHO both are at fault. Some people are addicted to sniffing glue and aerosols which aren't provided to them by drug dealers. Would you call a pub or a barman a drug dealer? Seeing as alcohol is a drug that has ruined many lives and killed many people over the years.

In terms of Class A and Class B drugs I blame the dealers for continuously providing the addicts and also blame the addicts for their lack of willpower and inability to do drugs and keep their lives in order. I blame the dealers for messing around with ingredients that increase the potency of party drugs. I blame the addicts for getting into the mindset that they can't have a good night out or party unless they're drugged up.

I smoke the herb every now and then, did through college and uni yet I still graduated with a 2:1 and work in senior management now. If you already have a lazy ass mindset then certain drugs will just enhance on that and make you even lazier.

Okay I am talking about Class A and B drugs.

I asked who you think is too at fault overall, drug dealers or addicts? which one.
Reply 36
Original post by Davalla
Facebook discussions = :facepalm:

lol

How old are you? You're in a tiny minority if you really haven't.

I don't know why it's so unbelievable. iIve lived good 18 years of my life without substances and it's been amazing
I haven't taken any drugs ever in my life so I don't know what you're talking about.

This is a discussion on Facebook, a woman shared a picture of her daughters ash capsule. People complained and commented that it's sad but although it's hard hearing the death of a loved one, her daughters at fault, because she took the drugs. Drug dealer is not to blame, no one is to blame but herself. No fault of dealers. Just all addicts. I don't know if I can think so black and white, I understand it is her fault, but really to place blame, I think the drug dealers are contributing to mass amounts of death caused by substance abuse. I think we're talking about heroin and crack cocaine, things that can really damage your functioning of life.

You have never had any drugs at all?? Not even Aspirin? Because as soon as you say 'Yes, But...' you lose your point because obviously you have taken some form of substance that has affected you physiologically, and that is without my including Alcohol and the most successful drug of the era, Sugar. The fact is that anyone who attempts to make a sweeping blanket statement about 'Drugs', meaning only prohibited substances, is losing at the skill of intelligent informed analysis, and their opinion can be rejected as uninformed.

What is even worse is people being judgemental callous swine about people who have had issues with varying substances, small-minded vindictive cretins using the misery of others to feel good about themselves, the plague of sanctimony. When you see the stream of nastiness some love to spew, if only given an excuse, permission from society to harass a marginalized group, that is one of the worst things that humans can do, picking upon the vulnerable and damaged.
Original post by Blank_Planet
Well the danger of legalizing everything is that we'll end up with a society with many many drugs addicts and people suffering mental problems due to past drug experience. This will cost us money: healthcare costs and loss of productivity. I think we should keep updating the list of permitted drugs with the least harmful ones (adding cannabis is good start...), so there is less incentive to try the worst ones when looking for sth new. I can't imagine a society where heroin or cocaine are available in pharmacies for everyone though...

We can set the tax rate on drugs to be high enough that they cover healthcare cost for the addicts with a slight spare such that it can subsidies other government spending, and it scales so if we have more addicts - cost of caring for them goes up at a slower pace than income from taxes since care can use economies of scale.
The productivity is a valid issue, however I think longer term with rising automation this won't really be a big issue - plus on some level it is self solving, people without jobs can't afford the drugs therefore they'll check into various rehabilitation clinics (funded by tax on drugs) thus turning them into productive members of society.
Honestly though I doubt anywhere near significant number will use these drugs, when countries have legalized much softer drugs the numbers haven't jumped that high. For instance when Portugal essentially decriminalized personal uses (you can still get slap on the wrist but thats a meh), there was only slight increase in proportion of long term users; I think 4% increase overall. Most people just don't care for drugs, and if you take away the 'cool' factor of it being illegal, it'll just fall out of favor naturally.
Reply 39
Governments for forcing them into poverty, (inflation, less jobs and no wage increase)