The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrMackyTv
It is boring. I just write crap and I get marks. I hate ICT so much, requires you to pay attention all the time and focus which is hard because the subject is really tedious.

Same. I am doing the draft evaluation for the animal shelter and it's really tedious, I get distracted so easily. My teacher can't control the class and I might have her next year.

There's no one in the Skype group who does ICT Edexcel :frown: I don't have anyone to moan about ICT to.

Is IT on Edexcel really that bad? I'm on OCR Cambridge Nationals for IT, and although some tasks were tedious, it wasn't that bad, and the exam was quite straightforward. Too bad there's a lot of unqualified teachers in IT, because it's often not treated as seriously as other subjects. (I would prefer to be doing Computer Science, but my school doesn't offer it) My teacher is quite good and friendly, but next year he's going to split the workload with another teacher which isn't strictly an IT teacher, but we've done most of the coursework and we did our exam this exam season, so we should be fine. If the teacher isn't too good, I'd try contacting your head of year, to see if anything can be done. Or even just see her after-school to ensure that you have properly grasp the concepts.
Original post by DB16
Good luck to y'all. It'll be fine as long as u start nice and early (I started over Easter)
Good luck to all receiving results next week!

Yeah, Easter seems to be a common time to start, although I'm planning on starting a bit earlier just to make sure I'm not too stressed. Good luck with any qualifications you're looking to attain, whether they be GCSEs, A-Levels or otherwise! :biggrin:
Original post by _gcx
MB and JH aren't too bad, a lot of the meanings are quite clear. I haven't started An Inspector Calls yet, we've just watched the film in class. For the anthology, I think we're doing Power and Conflict, and we started with London and Checking Out Me History on the last day of term.

I haven't really started An Inspector Calls either although we were tasked to read it over the summer (I guess I should finish it :colondollar:). My teacher made us work to death over MB and JH so I'm pretty much fine with it. We usually had to write at least 3 paragraphs analysing a section of the novel/play or on an article which reviewed the novel/play. Lucky you're doing Power and Conflict, Relationship poems are very tedious the only advantage is that they're pretty easy to compare.
Reply 43
Original post by _gcx
Yeah, Easter seems to be a common time to start, although I'm planning on starting a bit earlier just to make sure I'm not too stressed. Good luck with any qualifications you're looking to attain, whether they be GCSEs, A-Levels or otherwise! :biggrin:

Yeah that's prob for the best (Easter was much earlier this year and exams started about a week later)
Original post by MissChameleon
I haven't really started An Inspector Calls either although we were tasked to read it over the summer (I guess I should finish it :colondollar:). My teacher made us work to death over MB and JH so I'm pretty much fine with it. We usually had to write at least 3 paragraphs analysing a section of the novel/play or on an article which reviewed the novel/play. Lucky you're doing Power and Conflict, Relationship poems are very tedious the only advantage is that they're pretty easy to compare.

There seems to be a lot of notes required for the anthology, so that will be fun! :biggrin: My Lit wasn't really a problem, but in my Lang I completely blew it and got 2 marks in a 24 marker :biggrin: (going down from a potential A to a low B) I think we should still get the texts though, it shouldn't be a memory test like that, it should be a test of analysation skills.
Original post by _gcx
Is IT on Edexcel really that bad? I'm on OCR Cambridge Nationals for IT, and although some tasks were tedious, it wasn't that bad, and the exam was quite straightforward. Too bad there's a lot of unqualified teachers in IT, because it's often not treated as seriously as other subjects. (I would prefer to be doing Computer Science, but my school doesn't offer it) My teacher is quite good and friendly, but next year he's going to split the workload with another teacher which isn't strictly an IT teacher, but we've done most of the coursework and we did our exam this exam season, so we should be fine. If the teacher isn't too good, I'd try contacting your head of year, to see if anything can be done. Or even just see her after-school to ensure that you have properly grasp the concepts.

Yeah it's just bad, makes you do easy tasks and it's hardly challenging. They need to scrap it completely and do computing instead because it's more useful and less tedious.

My teacher is getting a little better but we still have those moments when she is screaming at the class, slamming her hands on the table and cabinet which only entertains students. Hopefully it should be better in year 11 before I have to complain.
Original post by _gcx
There seems to be a lot of notes required for the anthology, so that will be fun! :biggrin: My Lit wasn't really a problem, but in my Lang I completely blew it and got 2 marks in a 24 marker :biggrin: (going down from a potential A to a low B) I think we should still get the texts though, it shouldn't be a memory test like that, it should be a test of analysation skills.

I completely agree as English is all about analysing and interpreting not memorising. I think the government enjoys setting up kids for failure. Lit is easier than Lang :h: for me anyway! I'm at a grade 7 for English Lit & Lang. Have you finished annotating your anthology...?
Yeah it's just bad, makes you do easy tasks and it's hardly challenging. They need to scrap it completely and do computing instead because it's more useful and less tedious.

My teacher is getting a little better but we still have those moments when she is screaming at the class, slamming her hands on the table and cabinet which only entertains students. Hopefully it should be better in year 11 before I have to complain.

There is this class in my cohort at school and they haven't had an actual teacher for IT since January. Hopefully you get a new competent teacher next month:h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello everyone I'm a bit late but oh well.

My name's Snikerio and I am taking:
English Lit
English Language(both AQA)
Maths(edexcel)
R.S.(I don't know)
Music(OCR)
History(edexcel)
French
German(both WJEC)
Biology
Chemistry
Physics(all OCR)
Stats(edexcel)

I don't really know how I feel about the new exams. All I can say is I'm dreading English (it's a bit too subjective for me to ever really feel confident) but maths should be okay (I managed to get the top mark in the mocks :redface: but only by 3 marks).

My only real hobby is playing the piano, but I want to take up running soon in an attempt to keep fit lol and also I'm trying to teach myself beyond the French GCSE because I hope to live there for a period of my life.

My favourite subject varies hugely depending on the unit and teacher, but I think I could say my A levels would most likely be Maths, Chemistry and French (and possibly music, it depends if I'll have the choice to drop it as I've heard it's much harder than GCSE). Then that leaves me open to science, language and music degrees so it seems like a safe move, and they're all subjects I enjoy.

I want to say good luck to everyone with the new exams and I hope we can help each other whenever we need it :smile: :smile:
I completely agree as English is all about analysing and interpreting not memorising. I think the government enjoys setting up kids for failure. Lit is easier than Lang :h: for me anyway! I'm at a grade 7 for English Lit & Lang. Have you finished annotating your anthology...?

No, we've only annotated 2 :P

I don't have the anthology, our teachers took them in so we wouldn't lose them over the holiday.
Original post by snikerio
Hello everyone I'm a bit late but oh well.

My name's Snikerio and I am taking:
English Lit
English Language(both AQA)
Maths(edexcel)
R.S.(I don't know)
Music(OCR)
History(edexcel)
French
German(both WJEC)
Biology
Chemistry
Physics(all OCR)
Stats(edexcel)

I don't really know how I feel about the new exams. All I can say is I'm dreading English (it's a bit too subjective for me to ever really feel confident) but maths should be okay (I managed to get the top mark in the mocks :redface: but only by 3 marks).

My only real hobby is playing the piano, but I want to take up running soon in an attempt to keep fit lol and also I'm trying to teach myself beyond the French GCSE because I hope to live there for a period of my life.

My favourite subject varies hugely depending on the unit and teacher, but I think I could say my A levels would most likely be Maths, Chemistry and French (and possibly music, it depends if I'll have the choice to drop it as I've heard it's much harder than GCSE). Then that leaves me open to science, language and music degrees so it seems like a safe move, and they're all subjects I enjoy.

I want to say good luck to everyone with the new exams and I hope we can help each other whenever we need it :smile: :smile:

Nice to meet you snikerio! :smile: I think I'm the opposite of you; I got the highest in the mocks for English and I am dreading maths. Since we're both doing AQA English, my advice is that you're best bet is to annotate all the texts you are studying and use the internet a lot.

Good luck :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
No, we've only annotated 2 :P

I don't have the anthology, our teachers took them in so we wouldn't lose them over the holiday.

Ohh that makes sense.:biggrin: If you are going to look over the poems over the last weeks of summer, I think the anthology is online.

I start school on the 5th what about you?
Ohh that makes sense.:biggrin: If you are going to look over the poems over the last weeks of summer, I think the anthology is online.

I start school on the 5th what about you?

Yep, afaik, we're [my school] starting on the 5th Sept., so we still have a while to go! :biggrin:
Original post by _gcx
Yep, afaik, we're [my school] starting on the 5th Sept., so we still have a while to go! :biggrin:

2 weeks and 2 days left. :smile: Best make the most of it!
Reply 54
Original post by _gcx
The school is undecided on the exam board? That's odd that they haven't decided yet in Year 11, what specification have you been learning, or have you just been learning common topics from all of the exam boards [the exam boards differ slightly in content]? It's safe to bet it's going to be AQA though, lol.

Yes each year they decide around December time.We have just been doing the common topics which each exam board have and I'd rather do Edexcel maths than AQA maths lol.
Same. I am doing the draft evaluation for the animal shelter and it's really tedious, I get distracted so easily. My teacher can't control the class and I might have her next year.

There's no one in the Skype group who does ICT Edexcel :frown: I don't have anyone to moan about ICT to.

It's like we go the same school or something-- my class is disruptive, noisy and genuinely don't like IT... and it was optional! :facepalm:
Even worse is that it stops us learning for our theory exams, which we haven't even started yet. And 3 months to go until mocks to learn the whole unit!
And I would join the Skype group, but I'm scared lol. My voice always sounds so squeaky cause my microphone is the shoddy, built-in types.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Od.xiv
Yes each year they decide around December time.We have just been doing the common topics which each exam board have and I'd rather do Edexcel maths than AQA maths lol.

Edexcel is a pretty good choice for Maths! :biggrin:
Original post by Gabzinc
It's like we go the same school or something-- my class is disruptive, noisy and genuinely don't like IT... and it was optional! :facepalm:
Even worse is that it stops us learning or our theory exams, which we haven't even started yet. And 3 months to go until mocks to learn the whole unit!
And I would join the Skype group, but I'm scared lol. My voice always sounds so squeaky cause my microphone is the shoddy, built-in types.

I too would be interested in joining the Skype group, but I am a bit camera and mic shy so I would probably stick to IM.
Anyone doing RE with WJEC?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _gcx
I too would be interested in joining the Skype group, but I am a bit camera and mic shy so I would probably stick to IM.

We only do voice calls, so no cameras involved :smile: It is a bit nerve racking at first but you soon get used to it! If you PM me your Skype username I can add you :smile:

Latest