The Student Room Group

A low E remarked to an A?

I achieved an E in AQA Psychology Unit 3. I have been getting A's all year in essays. and got an A* in the other unit 4. I'm confused. and thought both exams went well.

Scroll to see replies

I sure hope so!! Seems like every grade 'A' student has gotten lower marks than they were expected! What has happened to these A-level exams?!!!
Original post by Philip-flop
I sure hope so!! Seems like every grade 'A' student has gotten lower marks than they were expected! What has happened to these A-level exams?!!!

have you experienced something similar?
Original post by manic.high.girl
I achieved an E in AQA Psychology Unit 3. I have been getting A's all year in essays. and got an A* in the other unit 4. I'm confused. and thought both exams went well.

Do you have a university place on the line? If not, you could order a photocopy of your script to see if there's any problem with the marking there before going for a remark.
Original post by usycool1
Do you have a university place on the line? If not, you could order a photocopy of your script to see if there's any problem with the marking there before going for a remark.

Yeah I missed my offer because of it. I've ordered a remark but it's driving me crazy waiting and thinking how the hell this could of happened.
Yeah I missed my offer because of it. I've ordered a remark but it's driving me crazy waiting and thinking how the hell this could of happened.

Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you
Reply 6
okpl;
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by gomc
ive experienced the same in geography - ive been getting a grades, like really high a grades all year (close to full ums), and this time round ive managed to get a c when i thought it went really well
RIP
(this is AS though)

same. its madness I've been getting 90-95% in papers then get a low B. I'm getting a copy of the paper. hopefully just a mad marker.
Original post by tg1998
same. its madness I've been getting 90-95% in papers then get a low B. I'm getting a copy of the paper. hopefully just a mad marker.

What exam boards are they in? just checking to see if AQA has completely messed up their marking
A very similar thing happened to me. I got a C in Unit 3 AQA Psychology and was predicted an a* and thought I had done enough for one swell. I lost my place at Cambridge because of it so am waiting for a priority remark. Hoping someone forgot to mark one of my essays or something. Good luck with yours.
Original post by family'sfailure
A very similar thing happened to me. I got a C in Unit 3 AQA Psychology and was predicted an a* and thought I had done enough for one swell. I lost my place at Cambridge because of it so am waiting for a priority remark. Hoping someone forgot to mark one of my essays or something. Good luck with yours.

thank you, this gives me hope that it's AQA faults and the remark will up the grade. how did you do in Unit 4?
Reply 11
What exam boards are they in? just checking to see if AQA has completely messed up their marking

aqa geography AS

I've read stories about people getting marked up a lot of grades in the remarks (which quite honestly just terrifies me that such errors can occur when marking exams, especially considering how important those results are). I think psychology is far more subjective than physics or maths for example, so there is a higher chance that you will gain more points in a remark. As you got an A* in the other unit and have been getting As all year, you definitely know your stuff.

I hope you are successful with the remark. Good luck.
Original post by gomc
ive experienced the same in geography - ive been getting a grades, like really high a grades all year (close to full ums), and this time round ive managed to get a c when i thought it went really well
RIP
(this is AS though)

Same for biology although not full mums but still As idk though won't bother getting anything remarked I'll just have to convince my teachers I can do better next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
Same for biology although not full mums but still As idk though won't bother getting anything remarked I'll just have to convince my teachers I can do better next year

Posted from TSR Mobile

i did better in my mocks than yesterday and its not like i got complacent i really went for it. i'll have to do the same ugh
Reply 15
I agree that more should be done to make sure the results are accurate. Too much is resting on our futures for there to be so many **** ups. It's not as if you're an average student who may have had a bad day, something isn't right if you came out of it confident and ended up with an E.
Original post by thad33
I agree that more should be done to make sure the results are accurate. Too much is resting on our futures for there to be so many **** ups. It's not as if you're an average student who may have had a bad day, something isn't right if you came out of it confident and ended up with an E.

It's ridiculous isn't it? Either I cocked up and wrote it in pencil or something which I Know I wouldn't of, or they cocked up.
Reply 17
It's ridiculous isn't it? Either I cocked up and wrote it in pencil or something which I Know I wouldn't of, or they cocked up.

It really is. I know I knew everything in the specification and beyond. I did tonnes of papers and even in other exam boards. I didn't even have a bad day, I came out of the exam confident. There was maybe 6 marks that I wasn't 100% on (out of 100). I've been scratching my head at it for the last day and half.

At least my uni place isn't lost because of it so I feel for you there but the amount of work I put into it is hurting when I see the grade. All my other exams went great.

I'm going to get a copy of my paper as well to make sure I haven't done something stupid like miss out a whole page.

Let us know how the remark goes. It'll be interesting to see what has happened.
Original post by thad33
It really is. I know I knew everything in the specification and beyond. I did tonnes of papers and even in other exam boards. I didn't even have a bad day, I came out of the exam confident. There was maybe 6 marks that I wasn't 100% on (out of 100). I've been scratching my head at it for the last day and half.

At least my uni place isn't lost because of it so I feel for you there but the amount of work I put into it is hurting when I see the grade. All my other exams went great.

I'm going to get a copy of my paper as well to make sure I haven't done something stupid like miss out a whole page.

Let us know how the remark goes. It'll be interesting to see what has happened.

Can I ask what the exam board and subject was? and how many grades lower than expected was it?
Reply 19
Can I ask what the exam board and subject was? and how many grades lower than expected was it?

OCR Chemistry. Ended up with 68%, so a C in the paper. 10 UMS off an A overall. So many people seem to have missed out on the A who were expected to get it.

Quick Reply

Latest