The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pooles
sure but its a new course and its very differently structured from traditional courses so they wouldnt know what works best as its not been tried

Or maybe they do. After all, it's their course, and their rules...

Original post by claireestelle
Or they could be comfortable with not all places being filled or confident there's people with AAA to fill them in clearing

PRSOM
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 261
Original post by abc:)
Do you have to deal with a lot of tears?

Yes. A lot of people were frustrated today.
Reply 262
Original post by jneill
Or maybe they do. After all, it's their course, and their rules...

PRSOM

Hey was only asking for some advice here. Thought thats what the thread was for.Thanks anyway
Original post by pooles
Hey was only asking for some advice here. Thought thats what the thread was for.Thanks anyway

But I'm afraid there's not much advice to give when you've already contacted them, queried their decision and been given a clear answer...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 264
Original post by jneill
But I'm afraid there's not much advice to give when you've already contacted them, queried their decision and been given a clear answer...

Posted from TSR Mobile

but the question i asked was for advice , based on your years of experience, about possibilities. If they don't fill the places then what might happen. Again thought you were here to help but lets leave it there as its obviously something that none of us know.
Original post by Airmed
*AMAs are more appropriate for chat, but since this one is about clearing, I think it is better placed in this forum*

So, from the title: I work at my uni's Clearing Helpline, which is actually really fun! So I thought I would make an AMA so people can ask questions about Clearing, and generally what it is like to deal with students and their queries, etc etc.

So ask away! :h:

Edit: Disclaimer - I am not a god expert on UCAS matters (though I like to think that I have a good knowledge of such things). I am answering these questions based on my own experiences and my training. So, please, don't go quoting me. I don't want to mess up anyone's applications.

So i went into clearing and got a email offer from Queen mary as long ass i confirmed it by 7am the next day, the email offer said i have to confirm their offer, so i put their offer into track, now ucas says my application is referred to the uni. Is that my part done? It specifically says confirm so i thought id have to confirm but the uni said it might take days to process the application and i have until 7am to "confirm" their offer, have i done it right or what?
Thankyou for any help.
Original post by 09aghandhi
So i went into clearing and got a email offer from Queen mary as long ass i confirmed it by 7am the next day, the email offer said i have to confirm their offer, so i put their offer into track, now ucas says my application is referred to the uni. Is that my part done? It specifically says confirm so i thought id have to confirm but the uni said it might take days to process the application and i have until 7am to "confirm" their offer, have i done it right or what?
Thankyou for any help.

Yep you've done your bit. They'll see the timestamp on the referral was before 7am and accept it from their end and you'll be all set.
Reply 267
On my UCAS an offer still hasn't changed, what does that mean?
Original post by ayyeee
On my UCAS an offer still hasn't changed, what does that mean?

You are still under consideration. Which university is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 269
Original post by jneill
You are still under consideration. Which university is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bangor University
Original post by ayyeee
Bangor University

Maybe ping them an email to ask what the status is, if they need any more information from you, and when do they expect to confirm your position.

Include your UCAS ID in the email.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 271
Hi, I was wondering If I should go into clearing if I still have unconditional offers from both my insurance and firm. But no longer want to go to either, should I ring up other uni's first to check whether im eligible for their course, and then decline my offers?
Original post by Dasaw
Hi, I was wondering If I should go into clearing if I still have unconditional offers from both my insurance and firm. But no longer want to go to either, should I ring up other uni's first to check whether im eligible for their course, and then decline my offers?

If you are UF then you're committed to your firm choice and your insurance choice is no longer technically valid. If you no longer want to go to your firm then contact them and ask to be placed into clearing.

This can take some time so the sooner you start it the better. If you have written confirmation from your firm that you're being placed into clearing you can then approach other universities about clearing places.
Reply 273
Original post by PQ
If you are UF then you're committed to your firm choice and your insurance choice is no longer technically valid. If you no longer want to go to your firm then contact them and ask to be placed into clearing.

This can take some time so the sooner you start it the better. If you have written confirmation from your firm that you're being placed into clearing you can then approach other universities about clearing places.

So I can't check whether I'm eligible for their course without first being released by my firm into clearing?
Original post by Dasaw
So I can't check whether I'm eligible for their course without first being released by my firm into clearing?

You can try - they might make you an offer. But those offers are likely to have deadlines of 24 hours or so (which is longer than it usually takes to be placed into clearing - especially once it gets into the weekend).
Reply 275
Original post by PQ
You can try - they might make you an offer. But those offers are likely to have deadlines of 24 hours or so (which is longer than it usually takes to be placed into clearing - especially once it gets into the weekend).

wait, the deadline offer is longer than it takes to be released into clearing? or did you mean it takes longer to be released into clearing and thus I may not make the deadline
Original post by Dasaw
wait, the deadline offer is longer than it takes to be released into clearing? or did you mean it takes longer to be released into clearing and thus I may not make the deadline

It can be

There's no set timescale for a university to place you into clearing. I've known cases that took over a week. It usually takes 24 hours because the request needs to be logged, processed onto the university admissions systems, approved and then sent to UCAS. Most universities only send updates to UCAS once or twice a day.

Most clearing offers will have a deadline attached. You can ask for those to be extended but a clearing university will be more sympathetic and helpful if you have an email from your current firm confirming that they're placing you into clearing.

If you don't want to go to your firm choice then there's no need to delay contacting them to go into clearing.
Reply 277
Original post by PQ
It can be

There's no set timescale for a university to place you into clearing. I've known cases that took over a week. It usually takes 24 hours because the request needs to be logged, processed onto the university admissions systems, approved and then sent to UCAS. Most universities only send updates to UCAS once or twice a day.

Most clearing offers will have a deadline attached. You can ask for those to be extended but a clearing university will be more sympathetic and helpful if you have an email from your current firm confirming that they're placing you into clearing.

If you don't want to go to your firm choice then there's no need to delay contacting them to go into clearing.

True, but in the event that I do get released into clearing and phone up the uni I wish to go to. I'd be in a pickle if I'm not eligible for the course
Original post by Dasaw
True, but in the event that I do get released into clearing and phone up the uni I wish to go to. I'd be in a pickle if I'm not eligible for the course

You could have called both universities in the time you've been posting on TSR umming and ahhing.

If you want reassurance before approaching your firm then try calling clearing universities. Some will refuse to speak to you. UCAS Principles state "10. A provider must not approach an applicant who is holding a firm or an insurance place at a provider (other than their own).". Most universities take that seriously.
So i've made an application formerly through UCAS with my clearing Uni after verbal offer and acceptance. How long does it take for them to officially accept the UCAS application?

Latest

Trending

Trending