The Student Room Group

Want to get an A in Maths AS

So I did AS Maths this year with Edexcel as my exam board. I did it a year early (so I'm going into year 12 now) and I want to know what I could do to bump my low B to an A? I got 82 UMS in C1, 73 for C2 and 60 for D1 and I want to do medicine in uni. What is required for an A and should I retake just D1 or retake D1 and C2?
Original post by Fatimah21
So I did AS Maths this year with Edexcel as my exam board. I did it a year early (so I'm going into year 12 now) and I want to know what I could do to bump my low B to an A? I got 82 UMS in C1, 73 for C2 and 60 for D1 and I want to do medicine in uni. What is required for an A and should I retake just D1 or retake D1 and C2?

I hope you're going to do all of A-Level Maths next year, because not all Med Schools accept A-Levels done early over three years.*

Personally, I'd retake both D1 and C2. If you're doing C3/4 too, C2 will seem very easy.*
Reply 2
Original post by usycool1
I hope you're going to do all of A-Level Maths next year, because not all Med Schools accept A-Levels done early over three years.*

Personally, I'd retake both D1 and C2. If you're doing C3/4 too, C2 will seem very easy.*

What do you mean by all of A level Maths? I'll definitely continue doing C3, C4 and either S1 or M1.
What do you mean by all of A level Maths? I'll definitely continue doing C3, C4 and either S1 or M1.

As in, I hope you're doing those modules in year 12 and not year 13 :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by usycool1
As in, I hope you're doing those modules in year 12 and not year 13 :tongue:

Yep, definitely:smile:. But I'm quite worried that universities might not accept my maths grade because I did it a year early:frown:.
Reply 5
Yep, definitely:smile:. But I'm quite worried that universities might not accept my maths grade because I did it a year early:frown:.

They will accept your maths grade, but they not be willing to accept a lower grade than they would otherwise expect just because you did it early.
Reply 6
Original post by Tau
They will accept your maths grade, but they not be willing to accept a lower grade than they would otherwise expect just because you did it early.

Fair enough, I would understand why. I really do want to get a better grade. Did you do Maths A level this year too?
Reply 7
Fair enough, I would understand why. I really do want to get a better grade. Did you do Maths A level this year too?

I just finished Y12 but I did AS + A2 Maths this year, then I'll do Further Maths AS + A2 next year.
Reply 8
Original post by Tau
I just finished Y12 but I did AS + A2 Maths this year, then I'll do Further Maths AS + A2 next year.

Woah, AS AND A2??:eek4: Good luck with Further Maths next year! Did you find AS Maths this year harder then the past papers cause that's how i felt tbh?
Reply 9
Woah, AS AND A2??:eek4: Good luck with Further Maths next year! Did you find AS Maths this year harder then the past papers cause that's how i felt tbh?

Thank you, good luck in A2 :smile: I found C1 and C2 pretty standard to be honest, but I didn't D1 so I can't comment on that.
Reply 10
Original post by Tau
Thank you, good luck in A2 :smile: I found C1 and C2 pretty standard to be honest, but I didn't D1 so I can't comment on that.

Thank you! What module did you do instead?
Reply 11
Thank you! What module did you do instead?

I did S1 and M1, then this year I'll do M2 and D1.

Quick Reply

Latest