The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mmm19
Got a D and a B last year which averaged to a C overall for AS

This year I retook the paper I got a D in and got 94/100 UMS! Also got A's in both A2 papers so got an A overall :smile:

Damn that's a great improvement, really happy for you :smile: you did good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Retook unit 2 and got 85/100, 93/100 last year on unit 1
Original post by mmm19
Got a D and a B last year which averaged to a C overall for AS

This year I retook the paper I got a D in and got 94/100 UMS! Also got A's in both A2 papers so got an A overall :smile:

Congrats
Did you do ideolgoies?
Original post by xxvine
Congrats
Did you do ideolgoies?

Yea i retook People and Politics and did ideologies for A2, 82 and 85 UMS. How did you find it? The grade boundaries were increased by 10 marks this year!
I got an A in both papers and I wrote the 40 marker baso on codification...hehe lols
I got a full marks (UMS) on paper 1 and a C in paper 2. Do you think it is worth me getting a remark? It's really going to drag my UMS down when I apply to Cambridge. I am honestly baffled as I really cannot understand how I got a C, I thought I did better on paper 2. I have looked through the mark scheme - so I know I didn't misunderstand a question. Very agitating. Doesn't seem to be an anomaly after speaking to my friends and seeing posts on this forum - e.g. Abstract_Prism.
Original post by Oddwatermelon
I got a full marks (UMS) on paper 1 and a C in paper 2. Do you think it is worth me getting a remark? It's really going to drag my UMS down when I apply to Cambridge. I am honestly baffled as I really cannot understand how I got a C, I thought I did better on paper 2. I have looked through the mark scheme - so I know I didn't misunderstand a question. Very agitating. Doesn't seem to be an anomaly after speaking to my friends and seeing posts on this forum - e.g. Abstract_Prism.

Yeah maybe you should, you might have been robbed a couple of marks by a different examiner, if it still comes back low maybe retake it if you can cope with that

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 88/100 in Unit 1 - no idea how. Thought i messed up the EU 25 marker
92/100 Unit 2 - Exam went amazingly well.
Somehow I got full UMS in unit 1 and 97 on unit 2
I got an A!!! SO SO SO HAPPY, WELL DONE GUYS :smile:
Guys what text books did you use for AS?
Original post by xxvine

I just used the edexcel gov and politics for as fourth addition isn't that what most people used

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine

No text book :s spooky
Original post by xxvine

The best textbook you could use is:

Essentials of UK Politics Textbook by Andrew Heywood
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Essentials-UK-Politics-Andrew-Heywood/dp/113753074X

This^ thing is set out WAY clearer) than the Edexcel Government and Politics for AS (4th Edition), which I've linked below =)

Textbook by Neil McNaughton
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Government-Politics-AS-4th/dp/1444178806

I cannot praise Heywood enough, lol- life saver!
(plus my teacher found a lot of errors in the McNaughton one- v. unreliable, do not recommend, but take a look).

Hope that helped =D
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by oawad98
Late reply but I got an A! Unit 1: 90 Unit 2: 82

Well done you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oawad98
Thanks!!!

I actually can't wait for A2 US politics, it will be really good.

Ohh you're doing us politics..well I hope you enjoy it cause it seems to be an interesting topic with their election coming up so that's an advantage for the exam next year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IRoranth
The best textbook you could use is:

Essentials of UK Politics Textbook by Andrew Heywood
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Essentials-UK-Politics-Andrew-Heywood/dp/113753074X

This^ thing is set out WAY clearer) than the Edexcel Government and Politics for AS (4th Edition), which I've linked below =)

Textbook by Neil McNaughton
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Government-Politics-AS-4th/dp/1444178806

I cannot praise Heywood enough, lol- life saver!
(plus my teacher found a lot of errors in the McNaughton one- v. unreliable, do not recommend, but take a look).

Hope that helped =D

Apparently the Heywood book has limited info especially for unit 2.
Original post by mollyadtr
Ohh you're doing us politics..well I hope you enjoy it cause it seems to be an interesting topic with their election coming up so that's an advantage for the exam next year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ideologies is boring apparently
It's hard as well many say
Original post by xxvine
Apparently the Heywood book has limited info especially for unit 2.

It's not that limited, it has the facts down and i thought it was really helpful.

Then again, with examples, it's quite scarce. But you have to do your own research for examples, so it's filled with current affairs. Unless it's for like, the Constitution or Judiciary section. Those are pretty ancient concepts, so i'm sure you can have ancient examples lol.

(I'm not sponsored by Heywood, LOOL I just really like the textbook) :biggrin:

PS: I had both textbooks and these packs my teacher used to make- they're extra helpful when you use them alongside one another- i recommend you do that with your teacher's resources, too :smile:
Original post by xxvine
Ideologies is boring apparently
It's hard as well many say

Can't wait 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending