The Student Room Group

Do most women/females with high functioning autism?

Have a hard time getting into relationships?:frown:

I do and have mostly been single all my life and I'm in my late twenties. I know I'm kind,intelligent, funny, attractive and outgoing at times. I have trouble getting into careers and have troubles understanding at times. My family worry what will happen in the future on my own. I have never really worked to look for it. I wanted it the come naturally and when the times right.

These have caused a lot of anxiety and its difficult moving on. I know autism doesn't define you but are most women like me accept it in the end?
"Female autism" isn't exactly the same as autism seen in males, if anything, they are better at coping in life than males on the spectrum
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
"Female autism" isn't exactly the same as autism seen in males, if anything, they are better at coping in life than males on the spectrum

Not entirely true, women can have it harder has its less common and most likely to get undiagnosed.
Original post by Anonymous
Not entirely true, women can have it harder has its less common and most likely to get undiagnosed.

ok so were you diagnosed? Or do you just identify with the symptoms?
I know it's hard but regardless of who you are, you need to connect with as many people as possible; it's how humans survive. The internet has unfortunately been brandished as an excuse for many humans to not go out and talk with one another...
Reply 4
Original post by shawn_o1

if you want to see female autism, just have an argument with your girlfriend.
Have a hard time getting into relationships?:frown:

I do and have mostly been single all my life and I'm in my late twenties. I know I'm kind,intelligent, funny, attractive and outgoing at times. I have trouble getting into careers and have troubles understanding at times. My family worry what will happen in the future on my own. I have never really worked to look for it. I wanted it the come naturally and when the times right.

These have caused a lot of anxiety and its difficult moving on. I know autism doesn't define you but are most women like me accept it in the end?

Can having aspergers syndrome count for this aswell or does it have to be high functioning autism specifically?

We tend to hide it better, which I think is Shawns point.

Don't have an interest in relationships at all. Both people who have asked me out, have just been desperate..
Asperger syndrome is often regarded as high functioning autism.
I'm autistic and I struggle a lot with friendships, let alone relationships. Being a closet lesbian as well doesn't help matters at all, and I do honestly think I would live my whole life single if nothing changes.

I do have a crush but I find it extremely hard to talk to her, even though she's a nice girl. I'm dying to get to know her a bit more but she's in another year group and I keep worrying I creep her out.
I have heard that girls can be affected differently from boys - while (or rather, since) it's harder to detect, it causes a lot of social and emotional difficulties. I feel I have quite a 'masculine autism'. I'm not good at disguising it or blending in, and have rather unusual quirks more often associated with males on the spectrum. When people talk to me I think they immediately know I have some sort of condition.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending