Maths year 11

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
How would I do question 4 though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
How would I do question 4 though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the length is being rounded to 1dp then you look at the second decimal place to decide how it should be rounded. You know like 5.06 is 5.1 to one decimal place. And 5.01 is 5.0 to one decimal place. So the answer will be 2.0X where X represents some digit. Hope this makes Sense.
Reply 1042
Original post by B_9710
If the length is being rounded to 1dp then you look at the second decimal place to decide how it should be rounded. You know like 5.06 is 5.1 to one decimal place. And 5.01 is 5.0 to one decimal place. So the answer will be 2.0X where X represents some digit. Hope this makes Sense.

I got this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you rounded your upper bound to 1dp you would get 3. You should be adding and subtracting 0.05cm not 0.5cm as the length itself is rounded to 1dp.
Reply 1044
Original post by B_9710
If you rounded your upper bound to 1dp you would get 3. You should be adding and subtracting 0.05cm not 0.5cm as the length itself is rounded to 1dp.

Oh okay X

Can you check these please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1045
Original post by B_9710

I did that question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Oh okay X

Can you check these please

Posted from TSR Mobile

These look fine.

Original post by z_o_e
I did that question

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's the question for this?
Reply 1047
Original post by B_9710
These look fine.

What's the question for this?

The question was

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
The question was

Posted from TSR Mobile

So we need to find the upper bound here. As its rounded to 1dp we need to add 0.05 to it because we would round anything less than 2.05cm down to 2.0cm.
Reply 1049
Original post by B_9710
So we need to find the upper bound here. As its rounded to 1dp we need to add 0.05 to it because we would round anything less than 2.05cm down to 2.0cm.

I don't really get this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
I don't really get this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any part in particular?
Original post by z_o_e
Ohhh I was suppose to add the lines downwards
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by z_o_e
I did it like this.. I took the decimals out.
But my final answer can move the two decimal places into the final answer.

But I got it wrong :frown:

I did it on my whiteboard and I got it right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can do either downwards or sideways when you add them up. The problem you had on paper was that when you added sideways, you said that 500+50+25 was 625 when it is NOT. It's 575. The other two are correct and you can add them, you'd get the right answer that way which you'd need to divide by a 100 for the decimal.

Original post by z_o_e
Here I did question 3
Posted from TSR Mobile

This is incorrect. Each length has been rounded to the nearest metre so you need to find the upper bounds of EACH LENGTH and then multiply them together.
That's incorrect. For that one you are looking for 2 bounds between which all the numbers would round to 2.7.Here's an example. For 1, the LB is 0.5 and UB is 1.5. What about something like 2.5? Well we know that 2.45 will round to it and numbers less than 2.55 will do as well. So those are out bounds. Rather than adding/subtracting 0.5 from our original value, in this case it;s 0.05.
Reply 1052
Original post by RDKGames
You can do either downwards or sideways when you add them up. The problem you had on paper was that when you added sideways, you said that 500+50+25 was 625 when it is NOT. It's 575. The other two are correct and you can add them, you'd get the right answer that way which you'd need to divide by a 100 for the decimal.

This is incorrect. Each length has been rounded to the nearest metre so you need to find the upper bounds of EACH LENGTH and then multiply them together.
That's incorrect. For that one you are looking for 2 bounds between which all the numbers would round to 2.7.Here's an example. For 1, the LB is 0.5 and UB is 1.5. What about something like 2.5? Well we know that 2.45 will round to it and numbers less than 2.55 will do as well. So those are out bounds. Rather than adding/subtracting 0.5 from our original value, in this case it;s 0.05.

Okay let's start off with question 3

What's the first step?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Okay let's start off with question 3

What's the first step?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly, notice that the question wants the largest possible volume, therefore how do we get the largest possible volume? By taking the upper bounds of each length.
Reply 1054
Firstly, notice that the question wants the largest possible volume, therefore how do we get the largest possible volume? By taking the upper bounds of each length.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep. Now imagine these are the lengths of that cuboid and the volume of that cuboid will be the largest possible one for the original question.
Reply 1056
Yep. Now imagine these are the lengths of that cuboid and the volume of that cuboid will be the largest possible one for the original question.

I multiply all the answers to get the largest volume possible?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
I multiply all the answers to get the largest volume possible?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep.
Reply 1058
Yep.

What about the 4th one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest