The Student Room Group

Gawker has closed down

For the first time ever, Gawker is a reliable source: http://gawker.com/gawker-com-to-end-operations-next-week-1785455712

This is excellent news for anyone who hates Gawker and everything it represents. Let's hope that eventually its sister sites, such as Kotaku, soon follow suit.
Excellent news
Reply 2
I don't understand. What's bad about the website?
Reply 3
Original post by Trapz99
I don't understand. What's bad about the website?

It accesorizes concern, virtue signals, witchhunts, smears, hoodwinks people into agreeing with very irrational views, capitalises on the unfounded fears of young people who have bought into the lies and manipulations of the professionally offended movement, and it's all just clickbait. They create hate against normal people, large demographics, and brainwash kids with anti-intellectual "feels before reals" nonsense all in the name of ad-revenue.
Reply 4
Original post by KingBradly
It accesorizes concern, virtue signals, witchhunts, smears, hoodwinks people into agreeing with very irrational views, capitalises on the unfounded fears of young people who have bought into the lies and manipulations of the professionally offended movement, and it's all just clickbait. They create hate against normal people, large demographics, and brainwash kids with anti-intellectual "feels before reals" nonsense all in the name of ad-revenue.

Well it's freedom of speech but if they chose to close down by themselves then that's fine. I just hope no one was forcing them to do so.
Hopefully some day buzzfeed will be next!
Original post by Trapz99
Well it's freedom of speech but if they chose to close down by themselves then that's fine. I just hope no one was forcing them to do so.

The courts more or less forced them to by ordering them to pay $140 million in damages to Hulk Hogan after they released a sex tape of him online.

I'm not opposed to a website having an editorial standpoint, or hosting content, which I disagree with politically, but when you go around exposing people's personal lives as they did in that and other cases, for no other reason than to capture clicks and eyeballs, you deserve everything you get, and I'm glad someone finally took them down.
Reply 7
Original post by AperfectBalance
Hopefully some day buzzfeed will be next!

What's wrong with buzzfeed? They have their first amendment rights.
Original post by Trapz99

You have the right to exercise freedom of speech but don't be surprised if somebody knocks you out for saying something. This is basically what happened to them.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
but when you go around exposing people's personal lives as they did in that and other cases

Were they that much worse than any of the others?

So? Doesn't sound like you to get upset over stuff like this.
Original post by Trapz99
What's wrong with buzzfeed? They have their first amendment rights.

Having freedom of speech does not mean that I cannot hate them for publishing pure **** with 99% of it being clickbait or lies or some "Why white people are bad" or why straight men are bad ****.

Sure I Have the right to stand in public and go HITLER WAS A GOOD GUY, but I dont expect people not to boo and shout at me.
Original post by dingleberry jam
Were they that much worse than any of the others?

I don't really know who the others are or how relatively bad they were. I just know I disliked these guys.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I don't really know who the others are or how relatively bad they were. I just know I disliked these guys.

I don't really know these guys, were they into the phone hacking stuff?
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
Excellent news

Indeed. But on the other hand. If you are backrolled by someone with huge amounts of cash you can basically silence who you like. This is the capitalist version of state censorship.
Fingers crossed that Jezebel and Kotaku follow.
Reply 16
Original post by ByEeek
Indeed. But on the other hand. If you are backrolled by someone with huge amounts of cash you can basically silence who you like. This is the capitalist version of state censorship.

Well, perhaps, but I don't see how that's relevant. Gawker was sued for taking Hogan's private video and broadcasting it. That's a huge invasion of privacy, it has nothing to do with censorship.
Well, perhaps, but I don't see how that's relevant. Gawker was sued for taking Hogan's private video and broadcasting it. That's a huge invasion of privacy, it has nothing to do with censorship.

It kind of is. Hogan wasn't the person bankrolling this legal action. It was actually billionaire Peter Thiel who had a grudge against the company. He effectively hijacked the lawsuit to pursue his own agenda and won. Company gone.

Where as I agree that Gawker was a less than dignified news outfit, it does now set a precedent for exposing public people and it boils down to money. If you have shed loads of money, or you can find a rich someone with a grudge to back you up, you can basically shut down a media organisation. And it doesn't have to be invasion of privacy. I could be corrupt politicians, paedophiles or general illegal activity. But if the person to be exposed is rich, chances are the story will not be covered for fear of litigation.

Now that is really really bad.

We had a case in the UK a few years ago where Scientology and Creationist organisations were suing a science reporter for libel over comments he made about the fact that what they were doing had no basis in fact or science. The facts of the matter had nothing to do with it. The organisations suing were well funded and this was one freelance reporter. Thankfully, the law changed and it went no further but it was a classic example of rich individuals shutting up the media by simply throwing lawyers at them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending