The Student Room Group

Question for current University of Cambridge students

I'm starting at the University of Cambridge in October. It says on Cambridge's website that I will have to register with a local GP on arrival. My college says I can pick a GP from one of the local ones.

Did anyone check that you actually had resisted with a GP? Did you have to give your college evidence, or the details of the GP you register with?
Original post by SalGal
I'm starting at the University of Cambridge in October. It says on Cambridge's website that I will have to register with a local GP on arrival. My college says I can pick a GP from one of the local ones.

Did anyone check that you actually had resisted with a GP? Did you have to give your college evidence, or the details of the GP you register with?

Yes you do have to inform College.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift

What will they ask for?
At Caius nobody checked per se, but when I did have a medical issue that a GP needed to see, the college nurse asked which GP I was registered with and I hadn't signed up at this time. I imagine some colleges will bug you until you do register.

It varies college to college, but it is highly important to do so. The college will recommend local GPs, there are loads in Cambridge.

Another common question is if you need to register with a local dentistry, this is not a requirement, you can still get your 6 month checkup outside of term.
Reply 4

Do they contact the surgery to check that you actually are registered there?
Original post by SalGal
What will they ask for?

Details of the surgery you are registered with. Why don't you want to register? It's what you do, you need to register with the GP where you are most usually resident, and if you have an on-going condition is is easier to visit a 'new' GP as your registered GP and your 'old/home' GP as a visitor.
Reply 6
Details of the surgery you are registered with. Why don't you want to register? It's what you do, you need to register with the GP where you are most usually resident, and if you have an on-going condition is is easier to visit a 'new' GP as your registered GP and your 'old/home' GP as a visitor.

Ok. Do you know if they call up to check whether you are actually registered there?
Original post by SalGal
Ok. Do you know if they call up to check whether you are actually registered there?

No I don't, but I don't suppose they do, you are presumed to be an adult, making sensible adult decisions and following the rules. Not sure what they'd do if you had a health incident and they found that you weren't registered though.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/studenthealth/Pages/Fivehealthsecrets.aspx
I never bothered signing up.No one ever checked, dont see why theyd care

Unless you become seriously ill, in which case its your loss
Reply 9
Original post by newblood

Which college are you at? And didn't they ask you to complete a form telling them what GP practice you were registered at?
Original post by SalGal
Which college are you at? And didn't they ask you to complete a form telling them what GP practice you were registered at?

Don't know why you're so reluctant, but I STRONGLY recommend you register with a local Cambridge GP your college recommend. You never know when you need them and it's very easy to do so. You can arrange to see your present GP at home as a visitor during holidays (and all GPs are used to the arrangement).
It's for your own sake, but because your college may check or not.
Reply 11
Original post by vincrows
Don't know why you're so reluctant, but I STRONGLY recommend you register with a local Cambridge GP your college recommend. You never know when you need them and it's very easy to do so. You can arrange to see your present GP at home as a visitor during holidays (and all GPs are used to the arrangement).
It's for your own sake, but because your college may check or not.

Original post by newblood

No I don't, but I don't suppose they do, you are presumed to be an adult, making sensible adult decisions and following the rules. Not sure what they'd do if you had a health incident and they found that you weren't registered though.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/studenthealth/Pages/Fivehealthsecrets.aspx

Original post by Protoxylic
At Caius nobody checked per se, but when I did have a medical issue that a GP needed to see, the college nurse asked which GP I was registered with and I hadn't signed up at this time. I imagine some colleges will bug you until you do register.

It varies college to college, but it is highly important to do so. The college will recommend local GPs, there are loads in Cambridge.

Another common question is if you need to register with a local dentistry, this is not a requirement, you can still get your 6 month checkup outside of term.

One more thing. At my college, all newcomers have a brief meeting with the college nurse when they arrive. What happens during that meeting? Does she just talk to you, or does she measure your height, weight, heart rate etc?Thanks
Original post by SalGal
One more thing. At my college, all newcomers have a brief meeting with the college nurse when they arrive. What happens during that meeting? Does she just talk to you, or does she measure your height, weight, heart rate etc?Thanks

Didn't have this meeting at my college. Although when you have to sign up for the GP, you have to measure your weight, height etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending