The Student Room Group

Should I change my A Level subjects?

I'm waiting for the GCSE Results Day and I'm wondering if I should change 2 of my A Level subjects depending on what I get in some subjects in my GCSEs. The A Level subjects I've chosen are Business Studies, Statistics, Media Studies and Applied Science. I thought that if I get a B or A in Maths and my Sciences overall, I'll change the Applied Science and/or Statistics to Maths/Physics because I'm planning on working in the computer game industry in the future. Should I make this change if I do get those grades in maths and science? Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by DanF2000
I'm waiting for the GCSE Results Day and I'm wondering if I should change 2 of my A Level subjects depending on what I get in some subjects in my GCSEs. The A Level subjects I've chosen are Business Studies, Statistics, Media Studies and Applied Science. I thought that if I get a B or A in Maths and my Sciences overall, I'll change the Applied Science and/or Statistics to Maths/Physics because I'm planning on working in the computer game industry in the future. Should I make this change if I do get those grades in maths and science? Thanks!

Those are not strong subject if you aim to go to a top university.

If I were you I'd change:
Statistics with Maths
Applied Science with Physics
Business Studies with Economics
Media Studies with another traditional subject

To be honest those A level subject are kind of random and don't really gel together. If you want to go into computer games, maybe think of taking maths/computing together, that would be more helpful than maths/physics. I would just really recommend not taking applied science, if you want to take a science just choose one. Biology is the easiest by the way.
Reply 3
My dad said Business and Media would be great because of all the advertising region in the computer game industry. I don't think my school has economics because not enough people were doing it and since I didn't do computer science or ICT in GCSEs, when I had my interview, they told me that it'd be difficult for me to do computing as well as the other 3 subjects. I was originally going to do BTEC ICT but again, not enough people chose that as an option. And I might see if I can change applied science though based on my GCSEs.
My dad said Business and Media would be great because of all the advertising region in the computer game industry. I don't think my school has economics because not enough people were doing it and since I didn't do computer science or ICT in GCSEs, when I had my interview, they told me that it'd be difficult for me to do computing as well as the other 3 subjects. I was originally going to do BTEC ICT but again, not enough people chose that as an option. And I might see if I can change applied science though based on my GCSEs.

Do you have a list of the subjects your college offers/you're able to take? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by surina16
Do you have a list of the subjects your college offers/you're able to take? :smile:

I think this is every subject:
Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths, Statistics, Dance, Fine Art, English Literature, Geography, French, Applied Science, English Lang/Lit, Theatre Studies, Psychology, Media Studies, Computing, Business, Sport, Sociology, Music, German, Design, Visual Media and History.
I'd change to Maths and Physics but Business studies is fine, and very few unis care what the 4th subject is so Media is fine for that.
Them subjects probably aren't the most common combination but do go together fine for the majority of degrees, (and honestly do complement each other in some ways (EG: theres overlap between Physics and Maths, Business and Maths, and Business and Media).
Furthermore looking at that list there are few combinations that would go much better unless you wanted to do 3 sciences and maths.
Reply 7
Original post by AlexS101
I'd change to Maths and Physics but Business studies is fine, and very few unis care what the 4th subject is so Media is fine for that.
Them subjects probably aren't the most common combination but do go together fine for the majority of degrees, (and honestly do complement each other in some ways (EG: theres overlap between Physics and Maths, Business and Maths, and Business and Media).
Furthermore looking at that list there are few combinations that would go much better unless you wanted to do 3 sciences and maths.

I did Spanish, Geography and Food Tech for my GCSEs so it'll be hard to get into most of the subjects. What combinations would you say could suit working in the computer game industry? (I'm thinking of working in the marketing area or somewhere else, not the development area)
Reply 8
Hello! I know everyone is suggesting things here that you could take - but what I personally think is most important is to do something you *know* you'll enjoy - you'll be studying these courses for 2 years so you need to be motivated :smile: Unless you're really really decided on that career, don't choose your A levels based on that career choice - what if you change your mind? I did just this year (I just finished lower 6th) although fortunately I didn't need to change my options to do medicine. Unless getting a lower GCSE grade means you can't do your subjects then I don't see why you shouldn't do them if they are what you *want* to do. Things have a way of working themselves out, and you'll do better at subjects you've chosen because you want to do them, trust me on that :smile:
I did Spanish, Geography and Food Tech for my GCSEs so it'll be hard to get into most of the subjects. What combinations would you say could suit working in the computer game industry? (I'm thinking of working in the marketing area or somewhere else, not the development area)

I meant in a 'while probably not the first combination of subjects people would reccomend those 4 are a good combination given the choices' way...
I don't know what the computer games industry would want but i'd imagine Computing would be a good idea, Business definitely has a lot of marketing content so that would be another good choice, and I believe there is at least some marketing in Media (but have never really looked at the course). Maths is always a good A level and would help with computing (coding requires some maths apparently)
Hi DanF2000,

I feel the job market for computer gaming is low and hard to get into however if you are set on it, business studies, maths and either biology, chemistry or physics will be good. However IT seems to be important. You could look into self taught coding languages such as Python or Java which could boost your CV when it comes to applying.
Have you thought of what degree you want to pursue in university if you plan to go? Suit your subjects to the degree to help your chances of getting it.
What would be the next step after A Levels? You said gaming, but are you planning on a degree first etc.? That should determine what you pick.
Reply 12
I was thinking after A Levels, I'd go to a University (maybe one close by and since I live in East Midlands, I thought either Derby or Loughborough). There, I'd do a course in Computer Game Programming (Derby) or the Electronic and Computer Systems Engineering (Loughborough). I'm not completely certain about these choices but over the next 2 years, I'll have a talk with the careers adviser at school to decide what I'll be doing in the future.
I was thinking after A Levels, I'd go to a University (maybe one close by and since I live in East Midlands, I thought either Derby or Loughborough). There, I'd do a course in Computer Game Programming (Derby) or the Electronic and Computer Systems Engineering (Loughborough). I'm not completely certain about these choices but over the next 2 years, I'll have a talk with the careers adviser at school to decide what I'll be doing in the future.
Have a quick google, look at these two courses (doesn't particularly matter about the uni at this stage) and any other courses which you might go for in the future (if you choose another, then it will already be in the back of your head by now); see what they say:
- Are there any subjects they see as essential?
- Are there any subjects they see as useful?

If there is no preference:
Use the old formula of picking one subject that you:
- need
- are good at
- enjoy
I think this is every subject:
Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths, Statistics, Dance, Fine Art, English Literature, Geography, French, Applied Science, English Lang/Lit, Theatre Studies, Psychology, Media Studies, Computing, Business, Sport, Sociology, Music, German, Design, Visual Media and History.

Ah okay, so you have loads of subjects which you can choose from. Personally, (since you can't do Computing/ICT) I would recommend Maths, Physics and then Business and Media Studies which were 2 of the ones you wanted to do.

This is because if you do Maths, you can still choose to do a Statistics module, and the Maths A Level is much more valued than Statistics if you do decide to change your mind :smile:
Physics is more valued than Applied Science but you will have the option to go down the Engineering pathway much more easily.

I looked at the course website and they don't have any preferred A Levels, but do require 280 UCAS points so you need to make sure that you pick subjects that you can still do well in, not just those that look good. However, it is a good idea to have 2 facilitating subjects incase you change your mind about what degree to do, as having Maths and Physics will open up so many more options :h:

I think it's best if you stick with applied science, I did Maths and Physics and failed both, I really underestimated how hard the exam would be, I now do applied science and it is much easier, not saying its a walk in the park but I am not stressed at all plus my grades are 10x better. If you seriously don't want to be stressed stick with applied science.

Leave you options as they are, you chose a good range, all these people are suggesting what they would do, this isn't about them. If you end up listening to them you may regret changing maths and physics then have to retake. You picked subjects which I know are passable. Despite your GCSE results keep your a level subjects the same, you'll thank me later when results day for your a levels come along.
Reply 17
I can't deal with too much stress so out of everything everyone's said, I'll probably be choosing Business, Media, Maths and Applied Science. Maths gives you a lot of options and applied science isn't the best but since GCSE physics was quite hard to understand, I may stay with it. I'll see what my physics and overall science GCSEs are and if I find out I did surprisingly well in it, I'll do physics. Does anyone know how hard maths and physics are compared to applied science and statistics?
I feel like you'll benefit from Maths rather than Statistics and Physics rather than Applied Science; give these a try and if you don't like/enjoy them, change back. Make sure you enjoy them, we're just giving our opinions but it should be what you feel is best!
Reply 19
I'll let everyone know what my GCSE grades are next thursday where I'll either be sobbing in happiness or devastation or be jumping and running around the house and school! One of the reasons I made this was because I'm doing the A Level summer work and I don't want to have done work for a subject I'm not even going to do. Once I've posted my grades, could someone on here have some final thoughts as to what I should change.
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest