The Student Room Group

The Current Year 13 Thread 2016-2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by matt.thorne10
Surprisingly well thanks. Managed 300/300 UMS in Maths and 384/400 in Further Maths, getting a tasty 97.7 UMS average. :smile:Did you take any exams this year, if so how did it go?

Wow OMG you smashed it!! I'm so jealous hahah well done! I want to apply to Cambridge too, but unsure if I should now as I only got 90 UMS average in maths and it's my only real unreformed subject apart from general studies :frown: but I got 5 A's so I don't know :frown: decisions
Hey everyone! Wow I feel old now only one year left of school daaamn. How did your AS results go? :smile:

I've been to loads of uni open days (Oxbridge, UCL, imperial, KCL, Cardiff, Brighton) and going to more in September but I'm so indecisive I liked them all and will never be able to pick four :frown:
Original post by isabella1999
Hey everyone! Wow I feel old now only one year left of school daaamn. How did your AS results go? :smile:

I've been to loads of uni open days (Oxbridge, UCL, imperial, KCL, Cardiff, Brighton) and going to more in September but I'm so indecisive I liked them all and will never be able to pick four :frown:

What did you think of UCL???
Mocks first week back :') good ol' year 13..
Woo! Year 13 :biggrin:
Can't wait! I mean, every time I'm going to post in here, it will probably be me complaining about year 13, but nevermind :lol:

So I got AAAA in Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry, which is such s massive relief!

I've been looking at quite a few open days and they've been fun :biggrin:

I need to do my third draft of my PS, adding some stuff I've done over summer...

I'm going to apply to medicine, most likely at Plymouth, UEA, BSMS and Newcastle

:biggrin:
Buzzing!
We're now the oldest in the student body! I'm still the youngest of them, but oh well :lol:
Wow OMG you smashed it!! I'm so jealous hahah well done! I want to apply to Cambridge too, but unsure if I should now as I only got 90 UMS average in maths and it's my only real unreformed subject apart from general studies :frown: but I got 5 A's so I don't know :frown: decisions

Nice, what course are you thinking about? Also don't worry about not being able to apply, you're clearly good enough! If you're applying for a non-mathematical subject then your AS maths really doesn't mean much, and even if you are, 90 is a strong score.

I've also heard that because of AS reform they might put less emphasis on AS results, and more on the new admissions tests. What do you think?
Waaa I feel so old! Last year of school finallyyyy:eek: I'm Rachel btw:banana2:

Have people visited the uni's they would like to go to yet?
Yaaaaaaah been to UEA and Swansea I LOVE THEM
How are your personal statements getting along?
My draft is so boring like "I did this I did that blah blah blah"
What subjects are you currently studying and, what do you hope to study at uni (give the 5 uni's you want to go to)
German, geography, biology. I hope to study genetics at:
Swansea (1st)
UEA (2nd)
Aberystwyth
Chester
Leiceser/Liverpool/Nottingham (haven't decided which one to apply to)

BUUUUT my AS grade for bio was pretty low, so idk if I should apply for that anymore? Can't let go of the grad entry med dream just yet ygm
Nice, what course are you thinking about? Also don't worry about not being able to apply, you're clearly good enough! If you're applying for a non-mathematical subject then your AS maths really doesn't mean much, and even if you are, 90 is a strong score.

I've also heard that because of AS reform they might put less emphasis on AS results, and more on the new admissions tests. What do you think?

Man I hope this is true- surely unis would understand our dilemma? We had 0 past papers to revise from so GIVE ME A PLACE
Whoop year 13! I'm really quite terrified of applying to uni though!
Looking forward to next year, but I'm a little terrified too! Good luck from the outset everyone.

I'm visiting Cambridge (Pembroke college, to be exact) in September. Not sure of my chances of getting in but I know I'd regret not applying.
My other choices I visited over the course of June/July and loved each one of them!

I completed my first draft just on Tuesday and sent it along to my tutor to read. I didn't struggle to write it too much, but there's so much I want to include in the tiny character limit!

What subjects are you currently studying and, what do you hope to study at uni (give the 5 uni's you want to go to)
Chemistry (AQA), religious studies (Edexcel) and Latin (OCR). I'm also on the back end of doing an EPQ on Socrates' unexamined life.

At uni I'd like to study a degree in theology and religion!
Cambridge
Durham
Manchester (applying for two different courses I think - their theological studies in philosophy and ethics course is very similar)
Nottingham
Original post by ImagineCats
Man I hope this is true- surely unis would understand our dilemma? We had 0 past papers to revise from so GIVE ME A PLACE

Also some ppl didn't even do any external exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LouKayenta05

Chemistry (AQA), religious studies (Edexcel) and Latin (OCR). I'm also on the back end of doing an EPQ on Socrates' unexamined life.

Heeeeeey Latin and classics-themed EPQ buddy! Your EPQ sounds absolutely fascinating!
Original post by Zara0526
What did you think of UCL???

I LOVED UCL. The main library was so beautiful, nice atmosphere, all the students and professors seemed really nice and i just really loved it.

The only huuuuge downside was for accommodation, you can't put preference for specific ones you only choose the type. This is a big issue as there was some beautiful accommodation (nice old Georgian houses joined together, big en suite rooms) and some ones I didn't like (my mum said it looked like a prison lol, not so nice, boiling rooms, not a fan). Not being able to choose and getting assigned at random is the worst part

Thanks! And Medicine, so not very mathsy thank god but still relevant. They used to really emphasise science UMS for medicine but as it doesn't exist now who knows 😂 What you applying for? That's seems likely for subjects which just got admissions tests. Medicine has one already so guess will have to sweat that out and try to do well in that aspect!
Thanks! And Medicine, so not very mathsy thank god but still relevant. They used to really emphasise science UMS for medicine but as it doesn't exist now who knows 😂 What you applying for? That's seems likely for subjects which just got admissions tests. Medicine has one already so guess will have to sweat that out and try to do well in that aspect!

Oh right, I'm applying for Economics - trust me to pick the course with the lowest success rate (13.8%) haha. Although I'm a bit scared now because 2 people at my school just got their A2 results and they both got 4A*s, yet neither got into Cambridge :s-smilie: One applied for Econ and the other for Medicine.
Hi Everyone

I studied Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Computing at AS level but will be dropping Computing in the first week and possibly picking up an EPQ
Hoping to study Medicine at either Bristol, Kings Southampton or Brighton and Sussex Medical School

My personal statement is currently in bullet point form but already 2000 characters. Ive been focusing on my UKCAT over summer so personal statement has been put on the back burner
Yesterday didn't exactly go to plan....
I was expecting to get all Cs, maybe even higher, but unfortunately I got DEE. Luckily for me, the sixth form staff were lovely, and reassured me that I'd done well for "someone who's had to move schools, make new friends and complete AS levels all in one year". I was unsure whether to stay on and do my A2 levels, or do 2 years at college doing a media course, though with help from the head of sixth form, my parents and grandparents, I decided to stay on. So, in Year 13, I will be studying English literature and language, Media (retaking the AS exam) and sociology, as well as doing my EPQ. I am really excited to complete my second year of sixth form!!!

After sixth form I hope to go on to a media course at university, but if next year goes really bad I may consider doing college, or doing a foundation year then a degree. :smile: if you didn't get the grades you wanted, take it from me, it isn't the be all and end all. Doors don't immediately shut in your face, if anything new and unexpected doors open for you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh right, I'm applying for Economics - trust me to pick the course with the lowest success rate (13.8%) haha. Although I'm a bit scared now because 2 people at my school just got their A2 results and they both got 4A*s, yet neither got into Cambridge :s-smilie: One applied for Econ and the other for Medicine.

Woah 13.8% that is low! I am not sure what the medicine success rate is but think it was in the 20's, people put off by the two A*s I suppose haha. Oh damn! Don't worry about that though, they could have been rejected for any reason like poor interview or entrance exam, not academics :smile:
Original post by DibbyDabby
Hi Everyone

I studied Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Computing at AS level but will be dropping Computing in the first week and possibly picking up an EPQ
Hoping to study Medicine at either Bristol, Kings Southampton or Brighton and Sussex Medical School

My personal statement is currently in bullet point form but already 2000 characters. Ive been focusing on my UKCAT over summer so personal statement has been put on the back burner

Ooh hey, I'm looking at Bristol and Kings too for medicine! You done the UKCAT yet? And ah I have got a checked draft but not happy with it yet :frown:
Woah, this thread just confirms it, we're actually year 13 now. 😄🎉

Yeah, although my top choice was in construction when I visited the actual area the department was in so I'll try to visit it again.

I haven't visited the other ones yet, or at least the in the correct department so I'll try to visit them in September.

Not good, I accidentally deleted my file by accident and didn't realise it till A week later. :frown:

So now, I'm starting all over again.

Currently, or at least I'm pretty sure I'm able to do it, I'm doing Chemistry, Maths and History. I'm hoping to study Chemistry in Uni.

For the unis, Queen Mary and King's are on top of my list so far but I'm also looking at Greenwich and Brighton at the moment.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest