The Student Room Group

Help!! Won't get into my dream uni for law because of bad as results!

My ideal course is Law at King's College (which requires A*AA) but so far I have disappointing AS results and I don't think they will even look at my application. I got:
Greek: A
English literature: A
History: B
Economics: C
Maths: C
For A2 I will be taking English Lit, History and Maths/Economics
WHAT CAN I DO TO IMPRESS THEM SO THEY GIVE ME AN OFFER ANYWAY??
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Apply with achieved A2s?
If you can get predicted AAA or even AAB they may give you an offer if you have a well rounded personal statement and by that I don't mean a naive student who Dosent know the realities of a law degree (thinks it's like suits etc, or goes the other way and things it Dosent involve a general awareness of things going on in the world), and providing you put some real character and honesty in to your statement. The cliched desire to read letters of a law student is definitely something I would avoid in your ps.....thing outside of the box abit and think long term, in stuff you might want to do after uni and a wider interest in law
Reply 3
Original post by neal95
If you can get predicted AAA or even AAB

What should I do if my school isn't willing to predict me those grades and in fact predicts me lower than that but I am able to get A*AA by the end of A2. Do I have still a chance?
Original post by Tati1998
What should I do if my school isn't willing to predict me those grades and in fact predicts me lower than that but I am able to get A*AA by the end of A2. Do I have still a chance?

Apply and if they aren't happy about it do it anyway lol. If not, pick a uni you know you can get into, smash your exams and go through adjustment. Failing that, achieve AAA+ grades, take a gap year, get some experience, then apply with those grades in hand. You will probably get an unconditional
Gap year, focus on your a levels this year
My ideal course is Law at King's College (which requires A*AA) but so far I have disappointing AS results and I don't think they will even look at my application. I got:
Greek: A
English literature: A
History: B
Economics: C
Maths: C
For A2 I will be taking English Lit, History and Maths/Economics
WHAT CAN I DO TO IMPRESS THEM SO THEY GIVE ME AN OFFER ANYWAY??

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/entry-requirements/index.aspx
"AS-level results are usually available when an application is made through UCAS. If you can, please provide your AS-level results, AS unit grades, and/or Unit Mark Scores (UMS). These results supplement a referee’s A-level predictions but do not replace them for selection purposes. "
Why are you dropping Greek when it was one of your best grades?

As for what you can do: ace your LNAT and get good predictions (so get studying now for next year, apply later on in the autumn/winter after you can demonstrate to your referee and subject teachers that you have upped your game.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Why are you dropping Greek when it was one of your best grades?

Well I am half Greek (and the other half Ethiopian) and was born in Greece so I thought that unis don't find it as impressive if I get a high grade in it or will ignore the grade because it's my mother tongue.
Well I am half Greek (and the other half Ethiopian) and was born in Greece so I thought that unis don't find it as impressive if I get a high grade in it or will ignore the grade because it's my mother tongue.

According to http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/entry-requirements/index.aspx the only subjects they disregard are General Studies and Critical Thinking.

Why not contact them and ask about Greek A level.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
Why not contact them and ask about Greek A level.

Thanks, you're right I should do that.

Quick Reply

Latest