The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Canadian student incoming!

Dear everyone!

So, I've seen that this isn't just for UK students which is fantastic as I have many questions to ask. I had done A Levels alongside my Canadian exams and have managed to achieve A*A*Aab in Physics, Philosophy, Japanese, Biology (AS) and Chemistry (AS). I am coming to study Physics.

I was ecstatic over results day as I managed to get into my firm, Warwick! (Offer was A*AA). My insurance was King's College London (my offer was AAA- A*AB). And for the record, I did go for Cambridge (Trinity, followed by Queens', Natural Sciences, 2 interviews and rejection, sad times), Imperial (rejected the offer of A*A*A, I didn't enjoy my two days spent there, found it dull) and Durham (Natural Sciences, rejected the offer of A*AA, the representatives of the student body seemed to not enjoy the course and found it extremely tiresome, didn't sound attractive).

I have heard such good things about Warwick from their Canadian graduates that are the alumnae of my school so I am pretty excited to start.

I would like to ask a few questions about Warwick. For those studying Physics: How are the tutorials on a personal point of view? - excluding the academia.
How are the labs, again, on a personal point of view?
Do your academics reply to your emails fast/ provide help whenever needed?
What would you say I would need for the first year of Physics that isn't in the reading list?

Society wise, I know it has the biggest society range but how hard is it to actually open a society? (I was thinking of a Star Trek society as I see there is Star Wars).

I have seen 1 or 2 hateful comments to Warwick whenever I check on this thread, so I think I'll throw in my quick share of how UK universities are viewed in Canada. We tend to have many career affairs at the school I attend, they are tailored towards those of different academic capabilities. On the international day, they would present (for the top percentage of students) 10 UK universities, as follows: Oxford and Cambridge (deemed as one, Oxbridge, until later on in the day), London School of Economics, Durham University, Imperial College London, University of Warwick, University College London, King's College London, University of Bristol and lastly University of Edinburgh.

These are the universities that hold the big, corporate names in Canada. I felt that I had to say this whilst making a post of questions as there are people that need to understand rather than portray hatred. I have seen one other post like mine from an Australian student too, which is very similar in that sense.

Besides that, how much does it cost to travel to Birmingham and also, is there anything that can allow me a discount of transport? I will be travelling to Birmingham a lot as I have family there, as well as London (family in King's Cross).

In terms of accommodation, I have chosen Rootes as my first choice, followed by Toil and Westwood. Would you know how likely it is for me to get my first choice and not be put into any 34/30 week contracts? It'll be hella inconvenient for me to get anything but 39!

PS: GUYS, (I've already commented but maybe people haven't seen it) but is there a physics freshers page, I really CAN'T SEEM TO FIND IT!! If there is, could you link it here please!!!!! Also, is there an international students one and especially one for Canadian students? I only know 3 other Canadians going to the UK with me and only 1 of them are going to Warwick too, kinda want to not feel left out.

ALSOOOOOOOO: To those who are from Birmingham and London, what are the top things a student can do that isn't written on the news posts! Like, stuff that only the people of the cities would know?

And is anyone going to the orientation week? I just received email about it, is it worth it?

Thank you for reading this!
Can't wait to hear from you!!!!! Really need to prepare myself for this October!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey there!

Don't worry, I went for Trinity too before I went into the pool. I cannot answer your Physics related questions right now, nor your undergraduate related ones BUT I'll try my best to answer some.

Accommodation, for the 39 weeks, they do tend to prioritise the international students (from what I know), so good luck with that. I stayed in Claycroft during my time which may now open to different types of students, I believe and have heard it is just for postgrads but not too sure.

For coaches, which I used, you can use your NUS card (apply when you get here), saves you a lot of money if you're travelling a lot.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your first year of university!!!!

Little tip, there is a great pub around the corner for whenever you are hungry, not too expensive and far from shabby. :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by LukasAlgebra
In terms of accommodation, I have chosen Rootes as my first choice, followed by Toil and Westwood. Would you know how likely it is for me to get my first choice and not be put into any 34/30 week contracts? It'll be hella inconvenient for me to get anything but 39!

I'm not in a position to answer most of your stuff, but I would, assuming it isn't too different for international and national students, think that you will be likely to get Rootes. This is because in my experience I specifically noted I was quiet in the application, and Rootes, which is probably the loudest accommodation with most partying lol, was my fourth choice, but I still ended up there - there are simply loads of rooms. Of course it does depend on how many put down Rootes as first choice this year
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I'm not in a position to answer most of your stuff, but I would, assuming it isn't too different for international and national students, think that you will be likely to get Rootes. This is because in my experience I specifically noted I was quiet in the application, and Rootes, which is probably the loudest accommodation with most partying lol, was my fourth choice, but I still ended up there - there are simply loads of rooms. Of course it does depend on how many put down Rootes as first choice this year

Gosh, now I'm a tad worried- seems like it is a complete random process! Can I ask, what did you/ do you study?
Reply 4
Gosh, now I'm a tad worried- seems like it is a complete random process! Can I ask, what did you/ do you study?

Well perhaps it seems that way but I am sure there will be rigorous algorithms to maximise happiness (and if international students are prioritised, as said above, you are even likelier to get Rootes). I study Maths (going into second year in October).
Well perhaps it seems that way but I am sure there will be rigorous algorithms to maximise happiness (and if international students are prioritised, as said above, you are even likelier to get Rootes). I study Maths (going into second year in October).

I just have to hope for the best I guess hehe. So, how are you finding Warwick? And out of curiosity, do the Maths dept and Physics dept ever intertwine in anything except from the Maths and Phys course?
Original post by PeterhouseKIL
Hey there!

Don't worry, I went for Trinity too before I went into the pool. I cannot answer your Physics related questions right now, nor your undergraduate related ones BUT I'll try my best to answer some.

Accommodation, for the 39 weeks, they do tend to prioritise the international students (from what I know), so good luck with that. I stayed in Claycroft during my time which may now open to different types of students, I believe and have heard it is just for postgrads but not too sure.

For coaches, which I used, you can use your NUS card (apply when you get here), saves you a lot of money if you're travelling a lot.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your first year of university!!!!

Little tip, there is a great pub around the corner for whenever you are hungry, not too expensive and far from shabby. :smile:

Much appreciated!
Reply 7
I just have to hope for the best I guess hehe. So, how are you finding Warwick? And out of curiosity, do the Maths dept and Physics dept ever intertwine in anything except from the Maths and Phys course?

Course is great, societies are great. Had a terrible social life in first year but that was my fault. Well Maths students are given Physics modules as options but I dunno if the opposite is true.
Course is great, societies are great. Had a terrible social life in first year but that was my fault. Well Maths students are given Physics modules as options but I dunno if the opposite is true.

I see! What societies do you recommend? I play hockey and really enjoy scifi :smile: Also, if you don't mind me asking, what A Levels did you study and what results? Just want to compare the types of maths students to physics students at uni, I would like to join the Maths Society. :smile:
Reply 9
I see! What societies do you recommend? I play hockey and really enjoy scifi :smile: Also, if you don't mind me asking, what A Levels did you study and what results? Just want to compare the types of maths students to physics students at uni, I would like to join the Maths Society. :smile:

Well I've only joined like three lol; I mean they're all enjoyable though (pool, snooker and chess - well, and maths, but everyone joins maths society). The standard of some people is very high and certainly it makes for a far more inspiring environment than school ever did. Looking it up there is a hockey club (difference between clubs and societies is clubs cost more - can feel like a bit of a rip off but eh) and appears to be a Sci-Fi and Fantasy society. I studied Maths, Further Maths, Physics and English Literature getting 4 A*s.
Well I've only joined like three lol; I mean they're all enjoyable though (pool, snooker and chess - well, and maths, but everyone joins maths society). The standard of some people is very high and certainly it makes for a far more inspiring environment than school ever did. Looking it up there is a hockey club (difference between clubs and societies is clubs cost more - can feel like a bit of a rip off but eh) and appears to be a Sci-Fi and Fantasy society. I studied Maths, Further Maths, Physics and English Literature getting 4 A*s.

Great results! How is the Warwick library/ study spaces?
Reply 11

I've never been in the library sorry, I just used my room. :colondollar: But other people use it a lot so it must be alright..
Don't forget to bring your hockey equipment! There's a thriving ice hockey society.
I was ecstatic over results day as I managed to get into my firm, Warwick! (Offer was A*AA). My insurance was King's College London (my offer was AAA- A*AB). And for the record, I did go for Cambridge (Trinity, followed by Queens', Natural Sciences, 2 interviews and rejection, sad times), Imperial (rejected the offer of A*A*A, I didn't enjoy my two days spent there, found it dull) and Durham (Natural Sciences, rejected the offer of A*AA, the representatives of the student body seemed to not enjoy the course and found it extremely tiresome, didn't sound attractive).

Hey! I'm not a current student at Warwick but i'll be joining in October to study Maths and Physics :smile: I got rejected by Cambridge too, and also by Imperial, and I got an offer from Durham but turned it down for Warwick :biggrin:

I've heard that if you put Rootes as your first choice then you're very likely to get it, and apparently Tocil and Westwood are quite undersubscribed so it seems likely that you'd get one of those if not Rootes :u:
Travel wise get a 16-25 rail card, it saves you 30% on pretty much all train fares. The cost of buying the card was covered in the saving I got on 1 ticket to london, and if you buy the card for more than 1 year it costs even less.

For other discounts sign up to UniDays, its free and you get 10-15% off a lot of well known brands. You'll have to wait until you have your university email though as thats how they verify your account.
Reply 15
Original post by AsphodelMist
Travel wise get a 16-25 rail card, it saves you 30% on pretty much all train fares. The cost of buying the card was covered in the saving I got on 1 ticket to london, and if you buy the card for more than 1 year it costs even less.

For other discounts sign up to UniDays, its free and you get 10-15% off a lot of well known brands. You'll have to wait until you have your university email though as thats how they verify your account.

I used my sixth form's email and it worked.
Society wise, I know it has the biggest society range but how hard is it to actually open a society? (I was thinking of a Star Trek society as I see there is Star Wars).

You need to get at least 30 signatures (pass it around any first year Physics/Maths lecture and you'll have twice that), and then there's a filtering process to get the numbers of societies down to something they can afford to run. Not impossible, but not guaranteed either.

Besides that, how much does it cost to travel to Birmingham and also, is there anything that can allow me a discount of transport? I will be travelling to Birmingham a lot as I have family there, as well as London (family in King's Cross).

Pre-booked off-peak same-day open return train to Birmingham is £2.85 (£2.40 for Super Off Peak, £3.90 for anytime) with a 16-25 railcard.

Westwood is on your list: you wont go any further down the list than Westwood. Westwood is massively underbooked every year.

Pretty good. Get busy around exam time, but otherwise fine. The physics department has two different undergraduate workrooms, and 90% of people never find the second one, so if you find that, you'll never be short of a place to study.

Ah, when you say hockey, do you mean field or ice? People wont automatically assume ice in the UK.

Very interesting, we seem to have a lot in common - I'm also going to be joining pool, snooker and chess along with tennis :biggrin:.

How is the chess society? Is it possible to get lessons? Are there many tournaments/teams you can join to compete?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending