The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by botmun2
I was offered a place for deferred entry to Queens' College (October, 2017 entry). The requirement for STEP was: S, 1 in any order in STEP 2, and 3. But unfortunately, I ended up really bad - 2, and 1 in STEP 2, and 3 respectively! :frown:Could anyone tell me if there is any chance of my getting accepted? :/

[P.S.: I've got a bronze medal at IMO 2015, and got another this year (2016). Also, I have two APMO bronze medals]

No reply? :frown:Someone? Please?
Original post by botmun2
No reply? :frown:Someone? Please?

Have you told your college to attach the fact to your file that you got another bronze at the IMO this year?
Cause otherwise they wont know.
You do stand a chance i think as quite a few people with 2,1 get in.
Best of luck man.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
I can say he is okay.
Just worried about the pool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When are pool results announced?
Original post by IrrationalRoot
When are pool results announced?

I think throughout the day but you will hear about it by 6/7pm most likely christs AT said. Peterhouse AT said at the very very latest monday is possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mathemagicien
Usually A2s, although there is nothing stopping you from doing it during AS... but I would advise against the latter

Aha yh I will be taking during A2s :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got 1's, thanks for all the help lads & ladies
Original post by Zacken
If you're doing GCSE's, it's a bit early for you to be thinking about all of this. Chill out a bit. Anyway, it's called the sixth term examination paper, so it's sat in the sixth term, i.e: along with your A2's. You do the exam where you normally do your A2's, most likely your school. The centre provides the centre, not sure what you're asking there.

Oh I'm getting my results next week so I'm just starting to prepare my life decision ahaha. Oh ok! Thank you :smile:
And I was asking whether the exam is only provided at a different centre or can it be done with your school. Sorry the wording was terrible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mpaterson
Got 1's, thanks for all the help lads & ladies

Ladies is 'ladettes'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ladies is 'ladettes'

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Lads and lasses" it should be
Have you told your college to attach the fact to your file that you got another bronze at the IMO this year?
Cause otherwise they wont know.
You do stand a chance i think as quite a few people with 2,1 get in.
Best of luck man.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot for giving a suggestion!

And no, I didn't! :frown:

Is it too late for letting them know it? :|
Original post by botmun2

Worth a try anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
"Lads and lasses" it should be

Nah, ladettes. This isn't the old west bro

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by botmun2

I dont know, send it now.
Did they know aboht last years medal?
I dont know, send it now.
Did they know aboht last years medal?

Yes, they do know about it! In fact, a good part of my ucas personal statement was about my math Olympiad stuffs. :3
Original post by botmun2
Yes, they do know about it! In fact, a good part of my ucas personal statement was about my math Olympiad stuffs. :3

I get the feeling they don't even read personal statements. I was asked in my interview whether I knew what an integral was or not, despite mentioning that I had covered C3 and C4 (not to mention you do integration in C2)...
Original post by drandy76
Nah, ladettes. This isn't the old west bro

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ladette: "a young woman who behaves in a boisterously assertive or crude manner and engages in heavy drinking sessions."

LOL.
I get the feeling they don't even read personal statements. I was asked in my interview whether I knew what an integral was or not, despite mentioning that I had covered C3 and C4 (not to mention you do integration in C2)...

I dunno if you're talking about a particular college but they at least read my personal statement during the interview if not before it (at Girton)
Methinks the loquaciousness of it must have been rather off-putting next to my semi-mute minimalist verbal delivery. I mentioned Euler's identity, and they asked if I could derive it (I said yeah, but they didn't make me..), and they asked about some other crap I'd talked about being interested in like fractals
Ladette: "a young woman who behaves in a boisterously assertive or crude manner and engages in heavy drinking sessions."

LOL.

Drinking is a euphemism for integration

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL.

The lad is a male version of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I dunno if you're talking about a particular college but they at least read my personal statement during the interview if not before it (at Girton)
Methinks the loquaciousness of it must have been rather off-putting next to my semi-mute minimalist verbal delivery. I mentioned Euler's identity, and they asked if I could derive it (I said yeah, but they didn't make me..), and they asked about some other crap I'd talked about being interested in like fractals

Lucky, for my interview all I was asked was questions from my pre-interview test, no discussion of maths at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending