The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IrrationalRoot
Lucky, for my interview all I was asked was questions from my pre-interview test, no discussion of maths at all.

I think they mainly covered the pre-interview test in mine, i.e. most time was devoted to that. Not that there was much to cover, as I basically just had a confidence crisis and sat there staring at the clock. Well, I "solved" a mechanics question by forgetting what gravity is.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I think they mainly covered the pre-interview test in mine, i.e. most time was devoted to that. Not that there was much to cover, as I basically just had a confidence crisis and sat there staring at the clock. Well, I "solved" a mechanics question by forgetting what gravity is.

Lol I also struggled way too much with a mechanics question that seemed like it was supposed to be quite straightforward; I could tell my interviewer was getting fed up (although he was already fed up with me before the interview). Did you get an offer?
Original post by botmun2
Yes, they do know about it! In fact, a good part of my ucas personal statement was about my math Olympiad stuffs. :3

what country.
Lol I also struggled way too much with a mechanics question that seemed like it was supposed to be quite straightforward; I could tell my interviewer was getting fed up (although he was already fed up with me before the interview). Did you get an offer?

My interviewers were rather exasperated, kept trying to lead me to conclusions and I was just staring at the paper. I got pooled but no offer. I assumed it was down to the tests but I also had only 2 relevant subjects at AS and they had to take it on faith that I'd get A*A* doing maths A2 and further maths A level in one year. Dunno how reasonable their assessment was as I never did STEP II and III. I have to be honest found Warwick less challenging than I was expecting. But then again, everyone says it steps up a lot in the second year so I might eat my words there.
My interviewers were rather exasperated, kept trying to lead me to conclusions and I was just staring at the paper. I got pooled but no offer. I assumed it was down to the tests but I also had only 2 relevant subjects at AS and they had to take it on faith that I'd get A*A* doing maths A2 and further maths A level in one year. Dunno how reasonable their assessment was as I never did STEP II and III. I have to be honest found Warwick less challenging than I was expecting. But then again, everyone says it steps up a lot in the second year so I might eat my words there.

Yeah I also got pooled with no offer; think it's quite harsh that I wasn't given a chance.
I don't like that you found "Warwick less challenging than I was expecting." That's the main thing I've been fearing...
Yeah I also got pooled with no offer; think it's quite harsh that I wasn't given a chance.
I don't like that you found "Warwick less challenging than I was expecting." That's the main thing I've been fearing...

Well it is what you make it. I tended to ignore the harder exercises on sheets, and just do the bare minimum to get strong assessment scores and do well in my exams. In the end, there's probably still plenty of people who did better than me this year, whether due to talent or a better work ethic, and I'm sure I could have done better myself with more work (I did very well all in all I think, but the point is I could have made it more challenging by aiming higher). In addition I did the very easy Logic 1 module for 15 CATS and only overcatted by 9 CATS (you have to do 120 CATS and can do a max of 150). I'm sure that with different module choice and going up to 150 CATS it would have been a lot harder.
Well it is what you make it. I tended to ignore the harder exercises on sheets, and just do the bare minimum to get strong assessment scores and do well in my exams. In the end, there's probably still plenty of people who did better than me this year, whether due to talent or a better work ethic, and I'm sure I could have done better myself with more work (I did very well all in all I think, but the point is I could have made it more challenging by aiming higher). In addition I did the very easy Logic 1 module for 15 CATS and only overcatted by 9 CATS (you have to do 120 CATS and can do a max of 150). I'm sure that with different module choice and going up to 150 CATS it would have been a lot harder.

What results did you get in your first year if you don't mind me asking?
I'm definitely gonna be doing all the harder exercises on the sheets, can't do maths without hard problems :smile:.
What results did you get in your first year if you don't mind me asking?
I'm definitely gonna be doing all the harder exercises on the sheets, can't do maths without hard problems :smile:.

I got a first with 86% average. Lots of variation in modules but in general I did well in the important ones (78, 88, 92 and 90 in "required cores"). The ones I've looked at are quite fun and interesting. At certain points, especially if you have a decent social life, you may find the assessed parts very time consuming if not super hard.
I got a first with 86% average. Lots of variation in modules but in general I did well in the important ones (78, 88, 92 and 90 in "required cores":wink:. The ones I've looked at are quite fun and interesting. At certain points, especially if you have a decent social life, you may find the assessed parts very time consuming if not super hard.

Wow well done, hopefully you'll end up with a first then.
Reply 3209
Hello. I've been summer-pooled by Christ College studying mathematics, the offer was A*A*A and 1 in STEP II and III. I achieved A*A*A* and 1 and 2 in STEP II and III, missing the grade 1 in STEP III by 2 marks.

I was unsuccessful from summer-pool; I've just received an e-mail from Christ Admission saying that:
"If your School is in process of querying one or more of your A level results and if as a result of this you are successful in meeting the terms of your offer there will be a place at Christ’s College for you."

Does this apply to STEP and could I get my STEP III remarked and how to do this if it's possible?

Many Thanks!
Original post by box036
Hello. I've been summer-pooled by Christ College studying mathematics, the offer was A*A*A and 1 in STEP II and III. I achieved A*A*A* and 1 and 2 in STEP II and III, missing the grade 1 in STEP III by 2 marks.

I was unsuccessful from summer-pool; I've just received an e-mail from Christ Admission saying that:
"If your School is in process of querying one or more of your A level results and if as a result of this you are successful in meeting the terms of your offer there will be a place at Christ’s College for you."

Does this apply to STEP and could I get my STEP III remarked and how to do this if it's possible?

Many Thanks!

My guess (and the very responsive @Christ's Admissions would know the definitive answer) is that it is unlikely to change.

I am basing this on the fact that for STEP (unlike A levels), Christ's had access to your actual script when they decided to pool you. Knowing you were such a borderline case, it seems unlikely that they would not have already looked at it closely. If there were an obvious error or even a significant question, they would (I assume) have acted accordingly.

I know this is heartbreaking for you. Of course, you should do what you feel you must; I just think the likelihood of a positive outcome is very slim. :frown:

So very sorry.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3211
Original post by gsckmom
My guess (and the very responsive @Christ's Admissions would know the definitive answer) is that it is unlikely to change.

I am basing this on the fact that for STEP (unlike A levels), Christ's had access to your actual script when they decided to pool you. Knowing you were such a borderline case, it seems unlikely that they would not have already looked at it closely. If there were an obvious error or even a significant question, they would (I assume) have acted accordingly.

I know this is heartbreaking for you. Of course, you should do what you feel you must; I just think the likelihood of a positive outcome is very slim. :frown:

So very sorry.

Cheers! Lol I visited the loo 4 times during STEP III exam, only If I've drank less water that 2 mark would of being mine. :biggrin: Oh well, I will get it remark since there's still a chance but moral of the stories is: never over load yourself with water due to excitement!
Original post by box036

Many Thanks!

Thanks to @gsckmom for bringing this to my attention. There were some errors in the marking of a few STEP scripts this year but the numbers were small an have already been rectified. As the email says one can request remarks of A Levels but not of STEP. As gsckmom says, we have access to the scripts and in borderline cases look very closely at them. I'm sorry that you were unsuccessful, I was in the Maths Poolside meeting and was disappointed that you weren't picked out. Best of luck for what comes next.
Reply 3213
Original post by Mathemagicien
Personally, I always aim for a full bladder in exams

I think that I think better like that

Apparently, a full bladder helps decision making, but the only sources I can find with a quick search are psychologytoday and telegraph etc., so take with a pinch of salt https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/choke/201104/got-go-wait-youll-do-your-best-thinking

Mate, where were you before my exam! aha :biggrin:
Love getting an email telling me my STEP grade has been "checked" and down graded from a 3 to a U. What a great email to wake up to :lol:
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Love getting an email telling me my STEP grade has been "checked" and down graded from a 3 to a U. What a great email to wake up to :lol:

Wtf? Ouch! Doesn't matter though, you're still in :smile:.

How much did that cost u
Wtf? Ouch! Doesn't matter though, you're still in :smile:.

Yeah the end of the email said "However, we have contacted the University of Cambridge and they have said that your place still stands" or something like that, was proper annoyed by that email though xD

Original post by newblood
How much did that cost u

It was a check they do anyway, I didn't ask for a remark.
Yeah the end of the email said "However, we have contacted the University of Cambridge and they have said that your place still stands" or something like that, was proper annoyed by that email though xD

It was a check they do anyway, I didn't ask for a remark.

Damn.
Imagine if get an email saying i got 2,2,2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Damn.
Imagine if get an email saying i got 2,2,2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hehe terrifying. I only scraped my 1 in STEP III. They better not check mine just incase it goes down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending