The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry B (Salters) F334/F335 Exam Thread 2016 (14th/22nd June)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LazyEye
I think f334 boundaries will be

A* - 70/90
A - 64/90
B - 58/90
C - 53/90
D - 47/90
E - 42/90

What does everyone else think

I think they are slightly too high; the paper was harder than last year imo so I reckon the A* will be more like 69ish

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm hoping A will b 62/63 as well but I can't judge how OCR will do it
F335 will probably be 80/120 for an A even though it was harder than last year. I can't see them going lower than that
Reply 803
f334
62/90raw = 72/90ums (a)

f335
79/120raw = 96/120ums (a)

f336
40/45raw = 72/90ums (a)

http://www.ocr.org.uk/i-want-to/convert-raw-marks-to-ums/
Original post by LazyEye
I'm hoping A will b 62/63 as well but I can't judge how OCR will do it
F335 will probably be 80/120 for an A even though it was harder than last year. I can't see them going lower than that

Your grade boundaries predictions were on point !!!!!!!!!! Well done

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone who got an A/A* please helpNow please could you tell me how you did that well?

I got a B and I worked so hard. I did all past papers properly, read the OCR Book (and did the questions in these books) , read the CGP book too. I knew the content inside out, but still did not do well.

Could you please tell me all your unit scores and tell me exactly how you revised, what you used and what past papers did you do ( old spec too?) because I might be be retaking and I really need advice.
Original post by Kira Yagami
Anyone who got an A/A* please helpNow please could you tell me how you did that well?

I got a B and I worked so hard. I did all past papers properly, read the OCR Book (and did the questions in these books) , read the CGP book too. I knew the content inside out, but still did not do well.

Could you please tell me all your unit scores and tell me exactly how you revised, what you used and what past papers did you do ( old spec too?) because I might be be retaking and I really need advice.

Have you considered getting a copy of your papers back and then if you / your teachers think it's worth it going for remarks? If you're considering a resit I would get your papers back anyway (I resat this year) as it helps you see where you go wrong on the day.

Also, check with the board about resitting as the spec is changing this year - I have no idea which specification you've just done but if it's the old one maybe just double check before committing.

Best of luck! :smile:
Original post by kidlikethat
Have you considered getting a copy of your papers back and then if you / your teachers think it's worth it going for remarks? If you're considering a resit I would get your papers back anyway (I resat this year) as it helps you see where you go wrong on the day.

Also, check with the board about resitting as the spec is changing this year - I have no idea which specification you've just done but if it's the old one maybe just double check before committing.

Best of luck! :smile:

Thanks for the advice, how did you do?
Reply 808

Hi Kira,

When I was studying I used the Chemical Ideas book for the course like a Bible! I would read one section from the book at a time, relevant to what was being studied in class and then write shortened down notes of that section and store them for reference in a folder.

However, after a while this method got quite tedious so I began to make digital notes with more colour and images to go along with the text (Make them fun!). I printed these notes off and read through them - writing down the date on the notes when I had read through them. Each time I would read through and add extra notes to the digital copy. Eventually I had a set of quite extensive notes for myself! I also ended up making very brief flashcards and doing all of the topical questions from the Chemical Ideas book. Try lots of methods and one will be sure to work effectively!

I think the main thing to remember with this course is that it is quite heavy on factual information so the key is repetition and lots of perseverance! :-)
Original post by Ligand
Hi Kira,

When I was studying I used the Chemical Ideas book for the course like a Bible! I would read one section from the book at a time, relevant to what was being studied in class and then write shortened down notes of that section and store them for reference in a folder.

However, after a while this method got quite tedious so I began to make digital notes with more colour and images to go along with the text (Make them fun!). I printed these notes off and read through them - writing down the date on the notes when I had read through them. Each time I would read through and add extra notes to the digital copy. Eventually I had a set of quite extensive notes for myself! I also ended up making very brief flashcards and doing all of the topical questions from the Chemical Ideas book. Try lots of methods and one will be sure to work effectively!

I think the main thing to remember with this course is that it is quite heavy on factual information so the key is repetition and lots of perseverance! :-)

Thanks! So you just used chemical ideas for content and nothing else right (the big thick black and white page book). Also how many past papers did you do, all of them?

How did you do in each unit? I found F335 in particular hard this year.
Reply 810
Thanks! So you just used chemical ideas for content and nothing else right (the big thick black and white page book). Also how many past papers did you do, all of them?

How did you do in each unit? I found F335 in particular hard this year.

No problem - yes I just stuck to that one for content. Sometimes I referred to the revision book for the course to just check some ideas and put them into a simpler context. Sometimes that larger book can explain things in a difficult way!

As regards to past papers, I did all of them.. multiple times haha. I made sure that I kept all copies and compared my scores for the same exam and looked in very close detail at the areas I was losing marks and also if I was losing the same marks as I did in the previous attempt. I would then make detailed notes on the weak areas.

I did briefly look at some legacy papers. Some of the content in them is useful but I found that sometimes the questions asked weren't very relevant to the course today. Mark schemes are much more brief for the older papers too. For improving exam technique I would concentrate on the most recent past papers.

F334 83/90
F335 120/120

I found that the exams this year were very different to anything I have seen before. It seems they are getting tougher on the mathematics within chemistry so maybe that is an area to consider carefully.
Original post by Ligand
No problem - yes I just stuck to that one for content. Sometimes I referred to the revision book for the course to just check some ideas and put them into a simpler context. Sometimes that larger book can explain things in a difficult way!

As regards to past papers, I did all of them.. multiple times haha. I made sure that I kept all copies and compared my scores for the same exam and looked in very close detail at the areas I was losing marks and also if I was losing the same marks as I did in the previous attempt. I would then make detailed notes on the weak areas.

I did briefly look at some legacy papers. Some of the content in them is useful but I found that sometimes the questions asked weren't very relevant to the course today. Mark schemes are much more brief for the older papers too. For improving exam technique I would concentrate on the most recent past papers.

F334 83/90
F335 120/120

I found that the exams this year were very different to anything I have seen before. It seems they are getting tougher on the mathematics within chemistry so maybe that is an area to consider carefully.

Again, thanks :smile: Are there any other tips you can give me? I literally did exactly what you did but only ended up with a B. I have a terrible sleeping problem maybe that messed me up, but something is up because I did really well in past papers.

How did you take notes exactly and do you have the digital ones still? And did you do the questions in the chemical ideas book? How did you do in F331 and 2. Did you watch any videos to aid your understanding?

Also what are you doing at uni and at which uni? And how did you di in other subjects. Thanks a lot btw:smile:

Another thing, HOW DID YOU DO THAT WELL lol , like I really don't get it, 120/120? Like you must be special or something, I work so hard but can't get marks like that, I really don't know why :/
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks for the advice, how did you do?

That's alright! Also look for OCR A and edexcel questions online as some of the specififcstions cross over - means you can look at questions you've not seen before :smile:

I'm super close to what I wanted to requested the remark today😁
Reply 813
Again, thanks :smile: Are there any other tips you can give me? I literally did exactly what you did but only ended up with a B. I have a terrible sleeping problem maybe that messed me up, but something is up because I did really well in past papers.

How did you take notes exactly and do you have the digital ones still? And did you do the questions in the chemical ideas book? How did you do in F331 and 2. Did you watch any videos to aid your understanding?

Also what are you doing at uni and at which uni? And how did you di in other subjects. Thanks a lot btw:smile:

How many hours roughly per day were you revising for? and another important factor is timing in the exam. Were you ok for time?

My notes were done just pen and paper and I would usually write a title and the bullet point notes, sometimes writing a longer phrase paragraph for something more tricky. I did most of the questions in the Chemical Ideas but once I had understood the topic I moved straight on. I didn't really use videos at all for Chemistry but I did use them in Maths.

Last year my results weren't quite as good as I concentrated harder on maths/physics. In F331 I got 74/90 and F332 120/150. I got an A with these results but only just!

I am going to study Chemistry at Durham University with A*A*A in Chemistry, Maths and Physics.
Reply 814

Sorry to hear about your B, I managed to get an A* despite my coursework being a B grade.
I got 90/90 in F334 and 120/120 F335.

I'm not sure my tips are gonna be the most helpful since I find I'm the sort of person that can remember things well so spend more time revising by answering questions than by actually reading through text books. I hate chemical ideas. It is possibly one of the worst organised books I've ever seen. I read through the Heinemann revision guides and often underline key bits. But I find my most important bits of revision is doing past papers, you should be doing every past paper available (I didn't bother with the old spec but of course that'd help too). When you mark it though and get something wrong, look at the correct answer and then also google or look up in chemical ideas that bit of chemistry to refresh yourself and ingrain that piece of information.

If theres a particular area you struggle with the test bank things are invaluable as you can easily find multiple questions from a certain topic.

I'm not too sure what other advice I can offer, but if you have any questions or anything then feel free to ask me and I'll try my best to help out.
Original post by Bruhh
Sorry to hear about your B, I managed to get an A* despite my coursework being a B grade.
I got 90/90 in F334 and 120/120 F335.

I'm not sure my tips are gonna be the most helpful since I find I'm the sort of person that can remember things well so spend more time revising by answering questions than by actually reading through text books. I hate chemical ideas. It is possibly one of the worst organised books I've ever seen. I read through the Heinemann revision guides and often underline key bits. But I find my most important bits of revision is doing past papers, you should be doing every past paper available (I didn't bother with the old spec but of course that'd help too). When you mark it though and get something wrong, look at the correct answer and then also google or look up in chemical ideas that bit of chemistry to refresh yourself and ingrain that piece of information.

If there is a particular area you struggle with the test bank things are invaluable as you can easily find multiple questions from a certain topic.

I'm not too sure what other advice I can offer, but if you have any questions or anything then feel free to ask me and I'll try my best to help out.

Thanks so much, and congrats, how did you do that well, like WOW? Did you think you did that well after the exams? how did you do in the other units?

Also did you do the questions in the books that you used too? And just to clarify, for revision you just used the thin heinmenns book and the thick chemical ideas right. This year i actually retook and I still could not get an A but you got full ums in the hardest exams... like how? Please give me any other tips you can, also how did you master all the calculations and stuff.

what did you get in your other subjects and what are you doing at uni and at what uni?

Please help, I really appreciate, I work so hard and do so well at past papers but can't do that in the real exam, it is so frustrating.
Reply 816
Thanks so much, and congrats, how did you do that well, like WOW? Did you think you did that well after the exams? how did you do in the other units?

Also did you do the questions in the books that you used too? And just to clarify, for revision you just used the thin heinmenns book and the thick chemical ideas right. This year i actually retook and I still could not get an A but you got full ums in the hardest exams... like how? Please give me any other tips you can, also how did you master all the calculations and stuff.

what did you get in your other subjects and what are you doing at uni and at what uni?

Please help, I really appreciate, I work so hard and do so well at past papers but can't do that in the real exam, it is so frustrating.

I got a C in both A2 modules, and end up with B overall (just what I need). Well, forget chem, I got A in Physics and Maths, and got into firm, at University of Birmingham for Engineering. ^^
Reply 817

I didn't think I'd done that well no, but looking at grade boundaries getting full UMS you could drop 23 marks in F335 (97/120 gave 120 UMS) I think its probably about what I thought I'd get in terms of raw marks.

In F331 I got 81 and F332 147.

I didn't do any of the questions in the books (I actually always used to moan when my teacher made us do chemical ideas questions in class aha). I used the Heinemanns one yes, I barely touched chemical ideas although some of the reaction mechanisms in the back were quite useful.

Maths is by far my best subject so the chemistry calculations came quite easily to me as the actual maths involved is very easy its just the manipulation of data which is difficult. If you struggle with those there's probably plenty of questions online so I'd just practice a lot.

I did maths, further maths, chemistry and physics and got an A* in all of them, and hope to go to uni to do a maths degree. I got an offer from Cambridge but didn't meet the STEP grades so was unsuccessful there. However I'm having a year out so am going to apply to other uni's in Autumn, possibly Oxford.
Reply 818

I may be late but hopefully I can still chip in.
90/90 F334
108/120 F335
90/90 F336

I had a thorough understanding of the content seeing as I actually enjoyed chemistry, which was probably aided by the extra reading I did for my oxford interviews (didn't get through), using other courses' textbooks and stuff.

Throughout the 2 years, all questions in the chemical ideas book were answered, as well as the end of topic tests. Gave very little shits about chemical storylines.

My teacher also compiled every past paper question from each topic (Steel story, What's in a medicine etc.) from old and new spec into targeted question packs. These probably helped in being so familiar with how they ask questions and what the mark schemes want for the marks.

Did every past paper in the months leading up to the exams, doing 1 a week from the new spec, and more as exams got closer. I wouldn't bother making loads of revision cards as they didn't help me. Instead I made revision cards on the questions which came up almost every year of their standard answers in bullet points so they were easy to remember.

I did make proper revision cards on functional group tests, reaction conditions and colours and whatnot.

In the end doing so many questions and understanding mark schemes helped in realising the key words for every question so the marks were easy to obtain. As my teacher said, once you get bored of answering questions for a topic, you finally know it.

Also helps that I found the maths really easy with being good at maths itself, even though this year's questions were difficult. Even then, the calculations happen to have a very similar structure anyway.

With regards to the individual investigation, I only slightly understood what I was talking about and used previous examples from my school to help me, and I talked **** for 10,000 words and managed to make it seem like I knew it all.
Original post by vca
I may be late but hopefully I can still chip in.
90/90 F334
108/120 F335
90/90 F336

I had a thorough understanding of the content seeing as I actually enjoyed chemistry, which was probably aided by the extra reading I did for my oxford interviews (didn't get through), using other courses' textbooks and stuff.

Throughout the 2 years, all questions in the chemical ideas book were answered, as well as the end of topic tests. Gave very little shits about chemical storylines.

My teacher also compiled every past paper question from each topic (Steel story, What's in a medicine etc.) from old and new spec into targeted question packs. These probably helped in being so familiar with how they ask questions and what the mark schemes want for the marks.

Did every past paper in the months leading up to the exams, doing 1 a week from the new spec, and more as exams got closer. I wouldn't bother making loads of revision cards as they didn't help me. Instead I made revision cards on the questions which came up almost every year of their standard answers in bullet points so they were easy to remember.

I did make proper revision cards on functional group tests, reaction conditions and colours and whatnot.

In the end doing so many questions and understanding mark schemes helped in realising the key words for every question so the marks were easy to obtain. As my teacher said, once you get bored of answering questions for a topic, you finally know it.

Also helps that I found the maths really easy with being good at maths itself, even though this year's questions were difficult. Even then, the calculations happen to have a very similar structure anyway.

With regards to the individual investigation, I only slightly understood what I was talking about and used previous examples from my school to help me, and I talked **** for 10,000 words and managed to make it seem like I knew it all.

wow, thanks. So what were the main revision guides that you used and did you do all the questions in these books too. also do you have the packs your teacher gave you for the past paper questions and did you do old spec papers too?

Any other tips please? I'm retaking. Thanks A LOT!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending