The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Accommodation 2016/2017

Hi,

I will be doing postgraduate studies at the University of Surrey and it is really hard to get accommodation. I have tried many different websites including university accommodation.
Can someone give any ideas or refer me to someome?

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hi,

I'm starting post graduate studies as an International student. I was guaranteed accommodation and cheaper accommodation in Band A and B compared to other universities is one the reasons I took Surrey despite that the tuition was a grand higher than my other offers, thought cheaper accommodation would cover it. But they only offered me Band C accommodation. Its weird I don't get to pick the one I can afford.

I was gonna reject and find off campus accommodation. Kindly update me if you've found accommodation or is it really tough?

I'm not sure if they think post grads are made of money or just Internationals

Thanks
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
Hi,I just wanted to tell that it is really strange that they did not provide you with band A (in hazel farm) because the students with priority are the first year undergrad and postgrad, however as I studied there 3 years they said that the priority is given to international students and yet they have not given to you the band A/B room.I was living in Hazel Farm, the first and second year and since then I have kept on applying. You can as well apply for the second semester for the waiting list.I found a room and it is an expensive one so I will try to get band A/B for the second. But as an advice you can try university of surrey lettings (ULC) in facebook, they post adv for people who need to fill in houses. Good luck!Plamen
Reply 3
hey,

yeh its pretty weird! I did my undergrad from Lancaster Uni and it was much different, you got the room you picked

Here they make you choose all 7 forcibly in a "preference" order. pretty ridiculous imo.
Reply 4
Heyy, I'm in the same situation as you however I heard once you move in to your accommodation you are allowed to swap rooms and many people are willing to swap a band A with band C so you shouldn't have to worry
Reply 5
the accommodation crisis at Surrey is ridiculous. Wish I had known before I took the offer to study there, would've gone to another university.
Hello, guys, I was offered a room Band C - Standard, Battersea West at Stag Hill Campus. This is on campus... But I really would like to swap with someone who got Band D room....
Original post by Kristina97
Hello, guys, I was offered a room Band C - Standard, Battersea West at Stag Hill Campus. This is on campus... But I really would like to swap with someone who got Band D room....

Hi,

Room swaps will be available in mid October - have a look here for more info on the process for doing this: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/residents/roomswaps/

Emma :smile:*
Original post by aakashba
the accommodation crisis at Surrey is ridiculous. Wish I had known before I took the offer to study there, would've gone to another university.

We're really sorry you feel this way. I see that my colleague has given you some info in another thread, but if you would like to get in contact with the accommodation team directly to talk to them about it then please do get in touch with them. You can give them a call on*+44 (0)1483 68 2466 if you want to talk to someone in person.*

Emma *
Original post by Amir23
Heyy, I'm in the same situation as you however I heard once you move in to your accommodation you are allowed to swap rooms and many people are willing to swap a band A with band C so you shouldn't have to worry

Hi, this is correct - have a look here for more information about room swaps:*http://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/residents/roomswaps/

(It still has last year's date on but this will be updated in due course).

I hope this is helpful!

Emma*
Reply 10
Personally I have tried calling, and the accommodation team has been incredibly unhelpful, rude and unsympathetic. I agree, if I had known this would be the situation I wouldn't have applied to Surrey.
Original post by Zeina1
Personally I have tried calling, and the accommodation team has been incredibly unhelpful, rude and unsympathetic. I agree, if I had known this would be the situation I wouldn't have applied to Surrey.

Hi,

I'm really sorry to hear this. Could you send us a dm with details so that we can look into this?

Thanks,
Emma*
hi,

I'm starting post graduate studies as an International student. I was guaranteed accommodation and cheaper accommodation in Band A and B compared to other universities is one the reasons I took Surrey despite that the tuition was a grand higher than my other offers, thought cheaper accommodation would cover it. But they only offered me Band C accommodation. Its weird I don't get to pick the one I can afford.

I was gonna reject and find off campus accommodation. Kindly update me if you've found accommodation or is it really tough?

Thanks

hi there, halls seem to be full and I really wanted on campus accomodation, so if you are living off site I'd want that room of that's possible! :biggrin:
Reply 13
hi,

Thanks

Hey, I'm currently staying in a band b room and would like to swap for your room. Do contact me as soon as possible if you're interested thanks! :smile:
Original post by Kristina97

Do you still want to swap??? XD I'm band D on campus and am looking for a band C room
Reply 15
Hi all,

Just received this :

At this time we do not have any single student rooms available for post graduate studentsWe do have 2 x One-bedroom Flats (Stag Hill campus)@ £218.00 per week. If you are interested in one of these then please contact us. They will be let on a 'first-come first-served' basis.....I think i gonna decline........ 218/week!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by Hamdi26
Hi all,

Just received this :

At this time we do not have any single student rooms available for post graduate studentsWe do have 2 x One-bedroom Flats (Stag Hill campus)@ £218.00 per week. If you are interested in one of these then please contact us. They will be let on a 'first-come first-served' basis.....I think i gonna decline........ 218/week!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Hamdi,

Are you looking for accommodation for the 2017/2018 academic year or for the current academic year? If you are looking for accommodation for the next academic year (2017/2018), then applications for this have not yet opened, so you will still be able to apply for on campus accommodation when online applications open on 20 February at 10am. Please find more info here: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/applicants/students/index.htm

All the best,
Ashley
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by University of Surrey
Hi Hamdi,

Are you looking for accommodation for the 2017/2018 academic year or for the current academic year? If you are looking for accommodation for the next academic year (2017/2018), then applications for this have not yet opened, so you will still be able to apply for on campus accommodation when online applications open on 20 February at 10am. Please find more info here: http://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/applicants/students/index.htm

All the best,
Ashley

Hi Ashley. Actually I am postgrad student and the courses commence next february the 6th... Anyway...Good luck for me. And thanks for your answer
Original post by Hamdi26
Hi Ashley. Actually I am postgrad student and the courses commence next february the 6th... Anyway...Good luck for me. And thanks for your answer

No problem :smile:

In that case, the best option may be to look out on the University of Surrey Lettings page - landlords or other groups of students often advertise rooms via this page. You can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/UniversityofSurreyLettings/

Spare Room is also a good option, with many people looking for housemates or lodgers :smile: https://www.spareroom.co.uk/

I wish you the best with finding accommodation!

All the best,
Ashley
Reply 19
Original post by University of Surrey
No problem :smile:

In that case, the best option may be to look out on the University of Surrey Lettings page - landlords or other groups of students often advertise rooms via this page. You can find it here: https://www.facebook.com/UniversityofSurreyLettings/

Spare Room is also a good option, with many people looking for housemates or lodgers :smile: https://www.spareroom.co.uk/

I wish you the best with finding accommodation!

All the best,
Ashley

Really thanks Ashley, hope to join you soon.

Quick Reply

Latest