The Student Room Group

Anyone get bad results at AS but mint results at A2??

Scroll to see replies

What are you classing as mint?:biggrin: My boyfriend got EEUU at AS then worked really hard and got BBC at A2 so it is definitely possible. He's pretty bad at exams too so if you don't mind exams it's doable when you put a lot of work in
Original post by Callum323
At AS I got BBCC in biology, chemistry, maths and physics repectively. I got biology remarked to an A, just barely, so ABCC. I dropped physics as it was my worst subject.

At A2 I got AAA, chemistry was 1 UMS off an A* and biology was 3 UMS off an A*. I thought I worked hard at AS but this year I worked so much harder and it paid off :h:

I hope this is me as I got ABCC also and hope to get at least AAA

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got BBCD at AS in Maths, Physics, Computing and Chemistry respectively. At A2 I dropped Computing and Chemistry and decided to pick A-Level Further Maths and do it all within the year.

Got my results yesterday and got A*AB in Maths, Physics and FM respectively. I got rejected by Bath unfortunately who wanted A*AA but I went through clearing and got offers from Birmingham, Manchester, Exeter and Nottingham for Maths. I really let myself down with D1 which was one of my FM modules as I got a U in it (33 UMS), if I managed to get a high B in it then I would have gotten an A in FM.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 43
I got a low C in AS German and yesterday I achieved a good A grade at A2. Now i'm going to studying it at uni as part of a joint honours degree
Original post by Kaddy_Dee
I got BDDE for AS and yesterday I got A*AAA in F.Maths, Maths, Physics, English Lang/Lit :smile:

I still can't believe I went from an E in further maths to an A*.... Hard work and effort really does pay off.

Hi, I got a B in AS Maths yesterday and I'm gutted. It was close to an A (3 UMS off) but either way I want to be aiming for top marks, not just 'scraping' an A. Could you please share some tips how to bring my Maths up to an A and potentially an A*? I got 78 UMS in each C1 & C2, and 81 in S1. I will be doing C3, C4, and M1 next year.

Also, a great set of results. That's really inspiring.
thanks for your reply! I wasnt expecting long reply from you and you did.

I got 55 (grade D) and wish to pull my grades up to A.

You are motivating me to work harder.
once again, thank you :smile:
Original post by Ninjakam119
What did you get the D in? I dropped physics which was at a D, but my maths AS was borderline C/D (if I dropped 1 more ums it would have been a D rather than a C) So it's certainly possible. You've got to use this as a lesson and learn from your mistakes, otherwise you'll end up with similar grades. Whenever you feel like your slacking, remember you don't want to be in the position you are in now again. I even went so far to make a picture of my AS grades as my phone's background so whenever I looked at it, I knew I couldn't let that happen again. When you see your other friends not working hard early on, or tell you that you're working hard, remember if you really want those top grades you're going to have to work harder than them to get them, but It'll be worth it. Feel free to message me if you want any specific subject advice.
Got a D in business at as, and a B at a2.... 2 marks of an A
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
There were two As and 1B in my Maths AS class and majority Ds Es and Us with maybe 1 or 2 Cs. The A2 class got quite a few As and Bs and a couple A*s. A guy at my school who got something like CEU at AS just got A*A*B and is now going to UCL IIRC from my facebook.

How did he apply to UCL with CEU , did he use predicted grades ???
AS is a bit of an adjustment for everybody. I did pretty well in AS and got ABC however in A2 I changed my attitude and approach to college and got A*AA yesterday (photography, history and psychology)
- retook a unit in both psych and hist, retakes are a lot easier once you learn A2

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey, i got a grade D for physics AS and wish to get A for A2.
Based on your post, does it means that is it possible to get A for physics at A2 despite grade D in AS?

I got BDDE for AS and yesterday I got A*AAA in F.Maths, Maths, Physics, English Lang/Lit :smile:

I still can't believe I went from an E in further maths to an A*.... Hard work and effort really does pay off.
I got ADEE as A Level and managed to leave college with A*ABC!
Reply 51

Please share how you did it! Revision techniques, tips etc. I didn't take the same subjects as you but I need help on how to turn an E into something higher :frown:
Original post by TheLifelessRobot
I got BBCD at AS in Maths, Physics, Computing and Chemistry respectively. At A2 I dropped Computing and Chemistry and decided to pick A-Level Further Maths and do it all within the year.

Got my results yesterday and got A*AB in Maths, Physics and FM respectively. I got rejected by Bath unfortunately who wanted A*AA but I went through clearing and got offers from Birmingham, Manchester, Exeter and Nottingham for Maths. I really let myself down with D1 which was one of my FM modules as I got a U in it (33 UMS), if I managed to get a high B in it then I would have gotten an A in FM.

Hi, I got a B in AS Maths yesterday and I'm gutted. It was close to an A (3 UMS off) but either way I want to be aiming for top marks, not just 'scraping' an A. Could you please share some tips how to bring my Maths up to an A and potentially an A*? I got 78 UMS in each C1 & C2, and 81 in S1. I will be doing C3, C4, and M1 next year.

Also, very good results. Bath's loss imo, you're clearly a hardworking and motivated student.
Original post by trevorwaris
thanks for your reply! I wasnt expecting long reply from you and you did.

I got 55 (grade D) and wish to pull my grades up to A.

You are motivating me to work harder.
once again, thank you :smile:

No problem, if its mathematically possible, however improbable you can do it! If I didn't do badly at AS I wouldn't have worked hard at A2 and wouldn't have got great grades, so in that respect I'm lucky I didn't do as well I wanted to at AS.
Bad AS grades isn't the end of the world. Many of my peers (nearly everyone) did better than me at AS, but they didn't have the feeling of disappointment like I had and didn't work hard so many ended up getting lower grades than they were expected/needed and trust me, if you feel bad about missing AS grades, missing A2 grades and uni offers are 100 times worse. Look at AS grades as the equivalent of a half time in a sports match, you can still win at the end of it!
I got ACCC at as level at got A*A*C at A2

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got BBCC in my AS Levels, and then AABB overall. I got all A's in my second year, so it's definitely possible.
Reply 56
They were not bad AS results, but a lot less than I wanted.

AS: AABBC
A2: A*A*A(b) and A*EPQ

My advice: RESITS! Literally resit every exam you can, that you did not get an A in at AS
Original post by Glutenfree
Plz... I need some success stories to make me feel better

:burnout:

It's seriously common. I, on the otherhand, had this in reverse.
Original post by DarkEnergy

Also, very good results. Bath's loss imo, you're clearly a hardworking and motivated student.

I'm not sure there is much that I can add to the advice that you can already get but one of the most important things is becoming comfortable with how certain topics can be manipulated so that they become more difficult in exams. Being able to continuously perform algebraic manipulation is also important, for A2 this came in the form of differential equations.

Also I started some C3 revision while I was still in school in Y12 and that helped. What I used to do when going through past papers was ignoring questions that I thought were easy or that I thought that I could already do, don't do this, I've come short in many exams because of this.

I also like Mechanics much much more than Statistics so that helped me out too.

Here are my Maths results:

Core 1 - 85 UMS
Core 2 - 81 UMS
Statistics 1 - 68 UMS
Core 3 - 100 UMS
Core 4 - 100 UMS
Mechanics 1 - 100 UMS
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheLifelessRobot
Also I started some C3 revision while I was still in school in Y12 and that helped .

So you self-taught C3 after year 12 exams? What resources did you use?

Quick Reply

Latest