The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anujsr
Hello,
I want to apply for mathematics. my results were 1A* 4As. I sat my maths A level in year 12 and got 94%. For my AS level I got 93% in physics, 90% in chemistry, 87% in Further maths (although I want to get some of the F.Math units remarked), Economics 82% . Is this good enough? @Christ's Admissions @jneill

List out all your module scores, it can be looked at in more detail.
For maths and FM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
Yes. Although it'll obviously depend on how big the discrepancy is and the teachers reference; they do take predicted grades with a hefty pinch of salt.

Apparently not lol vvvv
Original post by Christ's Admissions
It's unlikely that you would. We'd have to look carefully to see whether there was a mismatch between the predictions and the rest of the application and you would have a chance (if applying for a subject with a pre-interview assessment) to show potential in the admissions assessment but you woulds start on the back foot.

Yeah I'll guess I'll have to beg a little for an A* prediction. It's annoying because I think since they used UMS as a guide in previous years, they'll decide to use raw marks instead which will instead mess things up.
Reply 502
Original post by physicsmaths
List out all your module scores, it can be looked at in more detail.
For maths and FM

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have done the IAL

Maths
C12-200/200
C34-190/200
S1-86/100
M1-87/100

Fmath

F1-87/100 (going to remark)
M2-80/100 (going to remark)
S2-95/100
Original post by jneill
Always worth a try :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course :biggrin:
Original post by champ_mc99
Apparently not lol vvvv

Yeah I'll guess I'll have to beg a little for an A* prediction. It's annoying because I think since they used UMS as a guide in previous years, they'll decide to use raw marks instead which will instead mess things up.

The point is they would be concerned if the prediction is below the typical offer. But the prediction itself doesn't otherwise figure in their assessment of an application. Not least because just about everyone will have A*A*A or higher predictions anyway. That's the "pinch of salt" bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 505
Helloo

Here's what's happened:

Doing AS Levels in Psychology, Maths, English Lit and French and thinking about HSPS at Cambridge. I got AAAB with B in French, but I'm one raw mark from an A so getting my speaking exam remarked. I did surprisingly well in English lit and I was deadd set on dropping it, but it would kind of be unwise not to. So I'm wondering if my application would be more competitive if I carried on with all my A-Levels? I know Cambridge don't discriminate against those Doing 3 A-Levels, but surely if I perform well on a 4th a level too they can't ignore that!
Original post by Abdulzeedo
I'm from Italy, this year I applied for 4 universities with ucas for computer science.

1. UCL (x)
2. Edingburgh (x)
3. Glasgow (conditional offer)
4. University of Manchester (conditional offer)

I got rejected from UCL and Edinburgh, becuase they believed I couldn't get required marks (actually my school refused to provide the predicted grades, so I had to send the grades I obtained in the last term of the previous year), Glasgow and Uni of Manchester gave me a conditional offer.

I did the exams for my "diploma di maturità" (A-level) a month ago and got 100/100 (maximum possibile I think it's equivalent to A*)

My question is, should I waste a year and try to apply the next year for Cambridge? Is there 50/50 chance?

I've already contacted Oxford, Imperial and Cambrigde, their requirment is minimum 98/100 so it should be fine for me, Oxford asked me for my math exams (I got 9/10) and in IETS overall of 7.5

What if I start the 2016-17 session in of the two universities (Manchester or Glasgow) and apply for the 2017-18 session in Oxford, Cambridge or any other Top university starting from the year one again? Would it be possible? there will be less chances?

Thank you!

Hello and thank you for your question. You have met the standard offer for Cambridge in your Italian exams but without being able to see your whole application and compare it to the rest of the field it's impossible to advise you about what to do. If you did decide to apply to Cambridge, then you would have a better chance applying having not taken up your place at another UK university as we try to avoid poaching students from other institutions.
Original post by lot1313
Hello! I'm not sure whether to apply to Oxford or Cambridge as I loved both of them equally when looking around. I want to apply for Law which is AAA at Oxford and A*AA at Cambridge, I'm predicted AAA. My LNAT scores have been 25 and above but my GCSE's weren't so good (2A*s, 5As, 3Bs) which is apparently bad for Oxford as they put some weight on it. I also perform quite well at interview, which do you think is better to apply to?

Hello and thank you for your question. Both Oxford and Cambridge are great for Law and, unlike some other subjects, although there are some differences in the course these are generally reasonably small. If you are predicted AAA, however, your best bet is probably Oxford because, as you know, our offer is A*AA and we tend not to invite people to interview if they are not predicted to reach the standard offer. This is because our average acceptance for a Humanities course is over 2 A*s. I hope that this is helpful.
Original post by vincrows
So I expect Murray Edwards is going to be the most popular college among TSR applicants from next year and all the boys start pretending they're actually a girl.... :tongue:

Very, best wishes for your new position. :smile:
It comes with quicker and more straightforward commuting to the department from your college and definitely much less negotiating through herds of tourists for sure! I quite like Grange Road......except for the bumps....

Thank you! I'll do my best to ensure that happens! :smile:

Not sure the commute to the History Faculty is much quicker down the Hill, I'll have to time it. It will, though, as you say cut out the tourists! I like Grange Road too, I used to live there when I worked at Corpus.
If I reach the grades that were asked of my preference college after I get my priority remarks back next week, are they still obliged to take me?
Reply 510
Hello and I'm sorry that we were unable to accept you. We had a very strong crop of Mathematicians and couldn't relax the offer. All colleges have been encouraged to pool anyone with a 1 in either STEP II or STEP III. You should be a decent candidate in the pool as a number of colleges and not just the ones mentioned above are looking in Maths. Somewhere between 15 and 30 mathematicians get accepted through the Summer Pool each year. it's easily the biggest moving subject in the Summer Pool. Best of luck tomorrow, you should hear by the evening.

Thank you! Is it possible to get STEP III remarked and how to do this? I've just received an e-mail saying:

"If you meet the terms of your offer before 31 August 2016 you will be able to take up your place in October 2016."

Since I was unsuccessful in the summer-pool process. Or is this the end for my application over all?
Thank you! I'll do my best to ensure that happens! :smile:

Not sure the commute to the History Faculty is much quicker down the Hill, I'll have to time it. It will, though, as you say cut out the tourists! I like Grange Road too, I used to live there when I worked at Corpus.

I 'think' it'd be easier (and safer!) to go via a back gate (or whatever they call it) on Storey's Way rather than going down that hill. It'd be nicer, quieter route that way, at least!
Reply 512
Apologise if this is a silly question ...
If someone makes an open application (as undecided between several colleges) if they're interviewed but not taken by the college they were initially allocated to, will they still be pooled, if not outright rejected, to be potentially picked up by anther college?
Thanks
Original post by Jamwaq
Apologise if this is a silly question ...
If someone makes an open application (as undecided between several colleges) if they're interviewed but not taken by the college they were initially allocated to, will they still be pooled, if not outright rejected, to be potentially picked up by anther college?
Thanks

It doesn't matter if you 'started' the process with open application. If the college that interviewed you think other college/s may be interested in you after they decided they/re not taking you, they will put you in the pool. No discrimination :wink:
Hello! I'm a prospective Geography student and got AAAA for AS in Geography, Maths, Physics and Psychology.

To break my results down a little bit:

Geography - 100% UMS
Maths - 98% UMS (for all C1, C2 and M1 modules)
Psychology (refined) - 58/75 on paper 1 (A grade boundary 59) and 56/75 on paper 2 (A grade boundary 47) i.e. 114/150 overall
Physics (refined) - 58/70 for breadth (A grade boundary 43) and 67/70 for depth (A grade boundary 54).

Considering that my Psychology marks are worse than my averages for the other subjects, will this affect my application in any way?
sorry if this is a silly question, would it be realistic to apply for psychology (PBS) at cambridge with Psychology (A) Sociology (A) IT (B) at AS level?
thanks for your time :smile: x
Hi, I'd like to apply to Natural Sciences (Physical) or Engineering. I'm an international student who just finished A-levels.

Mathematics - 93% (one bad module, C12, due to extenuating circumstances) A*
Further Mathematics - 91% (completely self taught) A*
Physics - 88% A
Chemistry - 91% A*
AS Biology - 87% a

Best 3 - 91%

I can see my physics grade possibly being of concern along with my M3 UMS (73, bad day) and my UMS is on the lower side. I aim to possibly retake 3 maths modules to improve my UMS and resit 1 or 2 physics modules to try and get the A*.

Is there any chance I'd make into the interview stage? If it helps, my school performs very poorly in A-levels and I have the best grades from my year.

Is it worth applying at all?

Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ahmedelkafrawy99
I got 4 As in my AS results should I consider applying to the comp sci course in cambridge or oxford ??
My avg. UMS was 83%

How have you calculated your UMS? There's no UMS remember for reformed subjects only raw marks which are not the same thing at all. On previous years a UMS average of 83 would not secure you an interview at Cambridge. For Comp Sci, I would be interested most in your Maths results which are unreformed and do have UMS.
Original post by Mitchb777
Am I disadvantaged if I apply twice? If I were to apply this year (0.1% chance of me getting in I know) and If I complete next year with A*A*A*a and reapply on a gap year will I be disadvantaged because I've applied previously?

Also since I've heard you guys have a strong dislike for gap years would I need to find something related enough to maths to do for the year?

People aren't disadvantaged by applying twice no. A lot of colleges are not keen on gap years for mathematicians but others (like Christ's) are neutral and at least one (Queens') is positive about them.
Original post by bagginses
Hi, got my AS results yesterday and have a few questions about applying for 2017 entry.

(At GCSE I got 12A* and at AS I got 4 A's in English Lit, History, Maths and RS. I am hoping to study History or History and Politics at either Oxford or Cambridge)

1. How are Cambridge dong AS-level UMS averages this year? The only UMS scores I got were for Maths and RS as the other 2 have gone linear. My averages were 91 for Maths and 99 for RS, giving an overall average of 95 - is this how they will calculate UMS averages this year? If so what about my scores in English and History - I would expect to have done better in these than in Maths so should I try and find out my marks and mention in the application?

2. Based on the above information, would you say I had a better chance of being accepted at Oxford or Cambridge?

3. I would love to do History and Politics however at Oxford the acceptance rate is very low compared to straight history, do you think it will be similar with the acceptance rate of the new Cambridge History and Politics course?

4. Which would you say is the better option: a) continuing with all 4 of my AS levels or b) droppping Maths and doing a History-based EPQ?

Thankyou so much, sorry theres so many questions!

Hello, thank you for your questions and congratulations on your results.

1) Unless students have three unreformed AS Levels then they will not have a UMS average. Even then, if they are taking a reformed fourth subject then the best 3 UMS will not necessary tell us what it used to tell us. We are not going to rank people by their UMS as we used to. We are not going to collect raw marks but if your teacher wish to mention them in your reference then that is fine.

2) I'm afraid I really can't say. From what you've told me you look like you'd be a strong applicant at either university. The thing to do is to look at the courses on offer and the differences. All I would say about the new History and Politics degree at Cambridge is that we have looked closely at how it works at Oxford and tried to integrate the two disciplines more closely for students.

3) As we've no data on previous applicants, it's hard to know what the acceptance rate will be for History and Politics. We are hoping that it will be popular among applicants. As in Oxford, students who apply for the joint course will be eligible for an offer in single honours, either from the college to which they originally applied or from another college via the Pool. I expect that quite a lot of H&P applicants will fall into this category even if they are unsuccessful in their joint honours application.

4) I think either option could work fine. it;s not necessary to do 4 A Levels so only continue if you want to and by continuing with Maths you won't affect your performance in the other subjects. An EPQ can be a useful addition to the application as it gives you something to talk about in the PS and at interview but it doesn't form part of the offer.

Sorry not to be more definitive in a lot of my answers but I hope that this is helpful nonetheless. Best of luck! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending