The Student Room Group

University has ruined my "future"

Bear with me as this will be a long post.Ive posted this message before on another thread but only received a few replies. As most of you are aware results day was yesterday i had been guaranteed a place in my insurance choice but my firm choice which had lower requirements hadnt updated. I was confident of getting in since if one gets into a course with higher requirements its almost illogical to think a lower requirement would reject you. So i rung the uni and said can i get an update they explain my academic results were excellent and fantastic and i had met the requirements but i hadnt given a DBS form check. Now heres the best part! I didnt receive a DBS form.... No reminders no emails no phone calls no post i have proof of this my parents can even vouch since they receive mails and posts nothing... Another university did send this out, now as you can imagine being its my first time going to uni along with the fact my parents didnt attend uni dbs forms and other checks were new to me so i thought nothing of it that one uni asked for it and the other didnt.In fact i thought the first uni would ask for this once my place has been confirmed but nope. They are adamant they sent this off in june.... When the deadline was june anyway... Now to top this all off its happened to another person! Ive contacted them spoken to manager of said department no budging no nothing since the issue is they are "full" and there will be difficulties arranging work experience which i believe isnt right since one more person will not make a difference especially when the intake this time is lower than previous years.

Any help or anything is appreciated
By the way what would be the best thing to do now ive literally exhausted all my options now.
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Bear with me as this will be a long post.Ive posted this message before on another thread but only received a few replies. As most of you are aware results day was yesterday i had been guaranteed a place in my insurance choice but my firm choice which had lower requirements hadnt updated. I was confident of getting in since if one gets into a course with higher requirements its almost illogical to think a lower requirement would reject you. So i rung the uni and said can i get an update they explain my academic results were excellent and fantastic and i had met the requirements but i hadnt given a DBS form check. Now heres the best part! I didnt receive a DBS form.... No reminders no emails no phone calls no post i have proof of this my parents can even vouch since they receive mails and posts nothing... Another university did send this out, now as you can imagine being its my first time going to uni along with the fact my parents didnt attend uni dbs forms and other checks were new to me so i thought nothing of it that one uni asked for it and the other didnt.In fact i thought the first uni would ask for this once my place has been confirmed but nope. They are adamant they sent this off in june.... When the deadline was june anyway... Now to top this all off its happened to another person! Ive contacted them spoken to manager of said department no budging no nothing since the issue is they are "full" and there will be difficulties arranging work experience which i believe isnt right since one more person will not make a difference especially when the intake this time is lower than previous years.

What course was you applying for?

Have you considered going through clearing?

The uni doesn't have to give you a space. It's at their discretion.You don't even know for sure how many students they have on the course at the moment; they could've let in some more through clearing and adjustment. You could spend time arguing your case to the university and why you should have a place there, but its probably futile.

If you don't currently have a place at any university, start looking in clearing. Who knows, you might even find a better course elsewhere at a university you like more than the other one.
Original post by undine_monty
The uni doesn't have to give you a space. It's at their discretion.You don't even know for sure how many students they have on the course at the moment; they could've let in some more through clearing and adjustment. You could spend time arguing your case to the university and why you should have a place there, but its probably futile.

If you don't currently have a place at any university, start looking in clearing. Who knows, you might even find a better course elsewhere at a university you like more than the other one.

Well they havet done clearing and its around 50 students theyve taken on, ive met the grades for the conditional offer but being turned down due to a form i didnt recieve
Well they havet done clearing and its around 50 students theyve taken on, ive met the grades for the conditional offer but being turned down due to a form i didnt recieve

Are you talking about Bath? Do you have an insurance?
Original post by undine_monty
Are you talking about Bath? Do you have an insurance?

Yes i do have an insurance which on paper many would say its better since its a russel group uni, but i spent money on deposit took time to visit the first choice etc so thats why im more annoyed. No it isnt bath
Reply 7
Your future isn't ruined. You just have to do something different than the ideal you had in mind. Welcome to the rest of your life.

If you are proactive, you should be a able to get a decent pace through clearing. If not, take a year out and apply again next year. Just make sure you check DBS form deadlines and chase it up well in advance of deadlines if you hear nothing. If nothing else, this is a valuable lesson in taking control of your own life.

You'll be fine. One university and one mishap isn't going to ruin your future.

Clearly you should enter the formal appeal procedure or file a complaint.

You have to complain to the uni that it was their responsibility to raise the issue and make the request.

Tbh if you are applying for a course that requires DBS checks like nursing or teaching, then you should have been aware of the requirement. If they claim they sent it off in June then they can provide evidence. Im also surprised neither of you chased this up.

At the moment they will just brush you off.

Had I been in that situation, then I would have known enough about my course to realise it needed to be done and chased it up. It is partly your responsibility, but I would have to examine their terms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending