The Student Room Group

What are the GCSE requirements for getting into medical school?

What grades to you need at GCSE (and in which subjects)? Also, what else do they look for besides academic achievements?
Have a look at each course/uni website eg Cambridge and they'll tell you what they require. Good luck!
It varies depending on med school. That's a common theme - med school requirements vary hugely and you need to ensure your application profile fits with what individual med schools want.

For now ensuring you get the best GCSE profile possible should be your priority, if that's your stage of education. Work experience and voluntary work will be the steps after that alongside AS/A2.
Here is the list of GCSE requirements for all Medical schools in the UK.

Original post by fishy789
what else do they look for besides academic achievements?

Relevant work experience is invaluable. You could volunteer in a local care home or hospital, or get some paid work if possible. Places are very competitive, but it will definitely make you stand out from other applicants!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
It varies depending on med school. That's a common theme - med school requirements vary hugely and you need to ensure your application profile fits with what individual med schools want.

For now ensuring you get the best GCSE profile possible should be your priority, if that's your stage of education. Work experience and voluntary work will be the steps after that alongside AS/A2.

Thanks a lot for our advice, I'm at GCSE level, going into year 11 in September, so i will work on it.
How should i revise/plan so i get the top grades in everything?
Original post by honour
Here is the list of GCSE requirements for all Medical schools in the UK.

Relevant work experience is invaluable. You could volunteer in a local care home or hospital, or get some paid work if possible. Places are very competitive, but it will definitely make you stand out from other applicants!

Thanks a lot for your advice
Search for the requirements of the unis you prefer.
Medical schools like work experience in a caring environment (eg care home) and some hospital experience. Email your local care/nursing homes and call your local hospital.

Quick Reply

Latest