The Student Room Group

IGCSE CIE English Language

I have this question for so long... Is Speaking and Listening test marked out of 30 or 25? Also anyone has the grade boundaries for this yet?
Reply 1
Original post by puta.madre
I have this question for so long... Is Speaking and Listening test marked out of 30 or 25? Also anyone has the grade boundaries for this yet?

Hi, speaking is marked out of 30 in terms of raw marks. This raw mark is then converted to a weighted mark out of 25. This is why the qualification is out of 125 and not 130. Grade boundaries have been released and can be found here:

http://papers.gceguide.com/IGCSE/English%20-%20First%20Language%20(UK)%20(0522)/0522_s16_gt.pdf

Component 1 is the core reading paper.
Component 2 is the extended reading paper.
Component 3 is the writing paper.
Component 4 is the coursework.
Components 5&6 are speaking.

If you did Paper 2 (reading), coursework and speaking, your grade boundaries are option B2 in the table. Hope this helps!
Original post by ad4m
Hi, speaking is marked out of 30 in terms of raw marks. This raw mark is then converted to a weighted mark out of 25. This is why the qualification is out of 125 and not 130. Grade boundaries have been released and can be found here:

http://papers.gceguide.com/IGCSE/English%20-%20First%20Language%20(UK)%20(0522)/0522_s16_gt.pdf

Component 1 is the core reading paper.
Component 2 is the extended reading paper.
Component 3 is the writing paper.
Component 4 is the coursework.
Components 5&6 are speaking.

If you did Paper 2 (reading), coursework and speaking, your grade boundaries are option B2 in the table. Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot. So regarding speaking and listening, let say I got 27 out of 30, I divide that number by 30 and times by 25 to get the final mark? and then round up to the nearest whole number?
Reply 3
Original post by puta.madre
Thanks a lot. So regarding speaking and listening, let say I got 27 out of 30, I divide that number by 30 and times by 25 to get the final mark? and then round up to the nearest whole number?

27 would calculate to be 22.5. However, Cambridge are harsh in that they will put this down to 22 instead of up to 23. So count this as 22. The grade thresholds confirm that they are rounding down the speakings this year as appose to rounding up like last year.
Original post by ad4m
27 would calculate to be 22.5. However, Cambridge are harsh in that they will put this down to 22 instead of up to 23. So count this as 22. The grade thresholds confirm that they are rounding down the speakings this year as appose to rounding up like last year.

Thanks man

Quick Reply

Latest