The Student Room Group

Question about submitting grades to universities while applying

My A level grades are very poor and even after resits I can't manage to get a good enough grade. So is it possible to apply to American/Canadian universities just with my SAT 1 score, and SAT subject test scores and IGCSE grades? (I can submit just 1 AS grade, which is the only subject I somehow did good in)..If my question isn't clear enough, feel free to ask me to clear any doubts you have about my current academic situation! Thanks
Chances are, without a decent set of A level marks, you're going to have a difficult time getting into the mid-tier US schools.

I can't think of a way around it since since you've already retaken the exams. More so if you were projected to do well and didn't follow the projections.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by zombiejon
Chances are, without a decent set of A level marks, you're going to have a difficult time getting into the mid-tier US schools.

I can't think of a way around it since since you've already retaken the exams. More so if you were projected to do well and didn't follow the projections.

I just can't seem to manage to get good AS grades. But my question is, don't American school students just apply to unis with their SAT scores, high school GPA, ECAs and teacher recommendations? Couldn't I do that? I'd also submit my IELTS score because I'm an international.
Original post by abk07
I just can't seem to manage to get good AS grades. But my question is, don't American school students just apply to unis with their SAT scores, high school GPA, ECAs and teacher recommendations? Couldn't I do that? I'd also submit my IELTS score because I'm an international.

They do, but you are applying from a UK system school, where they expect you to have A level or AS grades.

Different criteria for different schooling systems.
Reply 4
They do, but you are applying from a UK system school, where they expect you to have A level or AS grades.

Different criteria for different schooling systems.

I could always mention that i switched to the American curriculum after my IGCSEs right? Since my school is also a certified SAT center. Sorry if it sounds silly lol. my grades are horrible, and I'm giving repeats, but in January. Grades won't be out before March and it'll be too late to submit them for fall of 2017.
Original post by abk07
I could always mention that i switched to the American curriculum after my IGCSEs right? Since my school is also a certified SAT center. Sorry if it sounds silly lol. my grades are horrible, and I'm giving repeats, but in January. Grades won't be out before March and it'll be too late to submit them for fall of 2017.

So you did GCSE then switched to American curriculum, and still took A levels?

Seems a bit weird to me, and you'll probably have a really in depth conversation with an admissions officer because of it. Also, I highly doubt that being a certified SAT test center would do anything about being an American curriculum school.
Reply 6
So you did GCSE then switched to American curriculum, and still took A levels?

Seems a bit weird to me, and you'll probably have a really in depth conversation with an admissions officer because of it. Also, I highly doubt that being a certified SAT test center would do anything about being an American curriculum school.

Right. It's all really confusing and we don't really have a guidance counselor at school, thus all the questions. But thanks for the help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending