The Student Room Group

can i drop GCSE subject in year 11

kool
(edited 7 years ago)
If you don't want to do the subject entirely because it's hindering your other grades then it's alright to drop it that late in. Just don't drop it once they've entered you for the exam.
Original post by Haroony
hi there i want to drop a GCSE subject DT but because i am about to enter year 11 i dont know if i can because it is too late. I was going to to drop it in late year 10 but i was still wondering if i should or not but i definitely want to now but is it too late please someone help

you have to speak to your teachers and school about this since they have different procedures in place
Reply 3
Why drop the subject? You might as well keep it, put in a little effort, get a C, and that would be another GCSE to your name.
Original post by Haroony
hi there i want to drop a GCSE subject DT but because i am about to enter year 11 i dont know if i can because it is too late. I was going to to drop it in late year 10 but i was still wondering if i should or not but i definitely want to now but is it too late please someone help

You can (and should if you think you're going to do poorly in it). It should be noted that some schools are aren't very favourable to students doing it though, so they might try and make it tedious for you.
Original post by Haroony
i am predicted almost all A's and some B's in my other subjects but for this subject i am probably going to get a C because the coursework is really hard and the theory lessons are like hell

Drop it.
Reply 6
Original post by Haroony
its taking up alot of my time which is affecting my time to focus on other important subjects like maths and english and without this subject i will have 10 GCSE's which is fine because i dont need one more to get into sixth form and uni.

Fair enough.
In our school some students were allowed to drop subjects like geography or history when teachers though that they won't be capable of getting a C or above in Maths or English. Through this they attended English/Maths sessions in the time they were supposed to have History/Geography so maybe you will be able to drop DT, depends on your school.
However, you seem to be a successful student since you are predicted A's and B's - maybe you should give it a go, overall you still have 9 months to work on your DT and since it is a subject where your coursework is usually worth more than your exam it will make it even easier for you as you can get help from your teachers.
Original post by Haroony
i am predicted almost all A's and some B's in my other subjects but for this subject i am probably going to get a C because the coursework is really hard and the theory lessons are like hell

Are you doing aqa product design ?
Reply 9
Why Dt is even a subject? Absolutely hate it.Long Coursework and the exam grade boundries are ridiculously high like 90% A* 80% A.I am doing AQA.Pathetic.
Reply 10
If you do not feel you can continue studying D&T then don't let it stress you out. I did a language at school in my last year and it was very close to the exam and I dropped it. I had a lot of difficulty as the teachers were talking down to me a lot and kept making me go to the class although the teacher kept picking on me and I couldn't concentrate. I talked to my parents and they ended up calling the school and it was sorted out very quickly.
Reply 11
I'm doing graphic products at the moment. My interests have always been with science and psychology but I'm very good at tech and like doing creative things so I thought I'd get bored if I didn't take it. BIG MISTAKE. I'm in exactly the same position as you, I need to quit or I might never sleep again. My anxiety is bad enough as it is and my therapist agrees it's best for me. My advice is, do what you want, don't think about the future because trust me, what matters is right now. And people only care about your A-levels anyway lol
quite a lot of my friends have dropped subjects because they weren't performing very well in them, so, it isn't unusual.
talk to your teachers and head of year about it, they are meant to consider your best interests. therefore, they will let you (in my opinion.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest