The Student Room Group

A2 level results: did anyone else NOT do brilliantly?

Scroll to see replies

BBB. But i got quite a few horrible unit grades.

2 ums off an A for biology (it goes quickly downhill now)

For maths, C3 and C4 anally penetrated me. D1 was so disgusting that an A dropped to 53/75. I got a D in it anyway. My butt is still sore tbh. I walked out of C4 and waved goodbye to uni hopes.

Lastlty, completely butchered both A2 physics exams. I only got a B in it because i managed to get full ums in the unit 1 retake and pulled my grade up.

But i still somehow got into my firm so I'm not as disappointed as i should be.
Reply 61
Original post by MastersGirl
I only got CCC in my A-Levels in 2012, and I have recently graduated with a 1st class degree and will be studying my postgraduate at Cambridge. Nothing is impossible.

I remember feeling like my life was over at the time, as even clearing universities were rejecting me. Just keep your head up and keep going!

What happened after you got your results?
Reply 62
It's not just important to work hard but to work efficiently and effectively. I know you're disappointed OP, but you should have realised that whatever work/revision plan you were executing was not causing you to improve enough to reach your goals, and so you should have tried something different. It is not enough to simply work like crazy but not step back periodically to examine how you can improve your preparation and understanding.
Reply 63
AQA Psychology screwed me over. Got an A in my unit 2 resit but a D and an E in unit 3 and unit 4... I have no idea how or why.
Original post by BisouX
What happened after you got your results?

Well, I had extenuating circumstances and my grades were bumped up to CCC from DDC if I remember correctly. I then contacted my firm and insurance to see whether there was any chance I could still attend with these new grades, but it was not possible. I remember speaking to a rude lecturer at my insurance who pretty much said that I wasn't clever enough to withstand the content of the course (If only i could speak to him now).

I then made a list of universities with the course that I wanted to do. It was quite niche at the time and only a handful of universities offered it and I wanted to do a placement year which limited options even more. I then called them one by one, each time being told that my grades were not good enough. There was one university left on the list, I had very little hope at this time, but to my surprise they accepted me onto the course.

I made it my mission to make up for my average A-Level grades by working hard at University and participating in as many events as possible. Even with my grades, I managed to obtain a year long placement at a large consumer goods company and get into the postgraduate course of my dreams, with a scholarship.

I completely understand how hard it can be at this time but just think carefully whether retaking is an option or whether you want to continue to university. If you go down the university route, clearing can be quite a disheartening process but keep positive and be motivated. Make a list of the universities which offer your course and call them up ASAP. Its also worth calling the same universities regularly as sometimes if they aren't getting enough students, they will lower the grades.

I now have no regrets about missing my firm and insurance as I have had a life-changing time at my previous university.

Good luck all!
Original post by zabveniye
I worked really hard, revised from the beginning of the year, and frequently got A grades on homework assignments, yet could not get higher than a C for overall A level results. :frown: Makes me really wish that I had taken a different course.

My A2 results are CCD in Biology, Geography and Mathematics respectively.

It's a little depressing seeing threads full of people who got all As and A*s or are disappointed with B grades. I'm not really complaining about them -- I understand it's disappointing not to quite reach your goals even if those goals are extremely high. But some of us found A levels particularly tough and had to work very hard just to scrape our passes.

Anyone else out there? I imagine generally people with grades like AAA are more inclined to post than those with lower passes like mine (CCD) but statistically not everyone can have gotten the very top grades.

Maybe seeing some threads like this in the mix will help some of the less high-achieving students feel less pressured, ashamed or alone

After reading a dozen post I decided to post my story so you could compare.

I AM A RESITTER

What I am about to share is likely to be the lowest point in my entire education and life.

I did Maths, Physics, Chemistry.
After developing an interest for A level maths and a hate for Chemistry I wanted to swap it out for Further Maths

This was well before december and didn't see why I wasn't able to switch.

So lo and behold not only do I fail chemistry I also FAIL PHYSICS

To this day I still hold an interest for physics however I do blame my teachers for being uneffective as many of you will argue that statement.

So after receiving BUU I decided to pull my **** together and use student room for inspiration and help - and revise like crazy.

I chose to resit and do Maths,Further Maths and Economics - since physics wasn't recommended.

I developed a further interest in maths and did all WJEC Maths Past papers and was determined to get 600UMS

Today I recieved AAB
The B in economics does not count towards my final grade however I am happy with it although all I hear are OCR complaints.

I know I didn't put enough effort into economics and focused to hard in maths.

I got 588UMS in maths A level - with an overall A* - my awful exam C3 which I knew I did ALOT of mistakes in. - Lost 11 UMS

I lost 1UMS in C2 thanks to me not unstanding how simple the common chord of a circle is.

It just goes to show how stupid people like me can make a partial comeback.

I am determind to get an A* in economics also at the end of A2 and persuade my teacher to predict me that.

Your grades are much better that some people however - NEVER COMPARE YOURSELF. Aim high...
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm exactly the same :frown: I studied my ass off and I felt really disappointed with my grades, I got ACD though we're looking at investigating the LITA3 exam because it was shockingly low. We're all in the same boat here, I hate seeing how everyone got like A*s but there's nothing I can do now. Oh well, at least we can move forward (and I have to realise that having two unconditionals has to have come from some hard work) and look to the future, even if it's not exactly what we wanted.

Good luck to you all!
Reply 67
BCC, and one of those Cs was RIGHT on the D borderline.

I don't understand how I did so bad. I started revising before Christmas. I dropped my job and my hobbies to make time. I worked damn hard. I hate saying it because my motto is that if you're wasting enough to time to say that, you ARENT working hard enough, but still…I threw everything into those exams, and I'm exhausted.

I was getting As and A*s in papers all year. Predicted AAA, aiming for A*AA. Got all As/A*s for GCSEs so I know I CAN do it. Wanted to study veterinary medicine, too. Gutted doesn't cover it. But I kind of knew it would happen :frown: just my luck.

Sorry to everyone who didn't get a place or is disappointed in their grades <3 I hope you all find answers and get into other unis.
Reply 68
Original post by Gnat
It's not just important to work hard but to work efficiently and effectively. I know you're disappointed OP, but you should have realised that whatever work/revision plan you were executing was not causing you to improve enough to reach your goals, and so you should have tried something different. It is not enough to simply work like crazy but not step back periodically to examine how you can improve your preparation and understanding.

OP and several others have said that they were getting high marks during practice.

I understood my course content. I helped tutor people in my class, for heaven's sake. Sometimes things just don't work out for people, and there's nothing they could have done.

As far as we were concerned, getting high marks on past papers and homework assignments should indicate that your revision IS effective.
Well, I had extenuating circumstances and my grades were bumped up to CCC from DDC if I remember correctly. I then contacted my firm and insurance to see whether there was any chance I could still attend with these new grades, but it was not possible. I remember speaking to a rude lecturer at my insurance who pretty much said that I wasn't clever enough to withstand the content of the course (If only i could speak to him now).

I then made a list of universities with the course that I wanted to do. It was quite niche at the time and only a handful of universities offered it and I wanted to do a placement year which limited options even more. I then called them one by one, each time being told that my grades were not good enough. There was one university left on the list, I had very little hope at this time, but to my surprise they accepted me onto the course.

I made it my mission to make up for my average A-Level grades by working hard at University and participating in as many events as possible. Even with my grades, I managed to obtain a year long placement at a large consumer goods company and get into the postgraduate course of my dreams, with a scholarship.

I completely understand how hard it can be at this time but just think carefully whether retaking is an option or whether you want to continue to university. If you go down the university route, clearing can be quite a disheartening process but keep positive and be motivated. Make a list of the universities which offer your course and call them up ASAP. Its also worth calling the same universities regularly as sometimes if they aren't getting enough students, they will lower the grades.

I now have no regrets about missing my firm and insurance as I have had a life-changing time at my previous university.

Good luck all!

On mobile so too hard to cut down the quote! Sorry!

I remember back in 2012 I had left my previous uni due to medical issues and wanted a fresh start. I was desperate to go to Plymouth. I loved the city.

The lecturer told me back in March 2012 before the applications closed I wasnt good enough for the course and I would simply fail, (despite getting high grades at my previous university) based on my a levels. Then when the course went into clearing - I waited out until the last day of clearing and asked for a place. Safe to say they gave it to me then!!

I made sure I complained A LOT during that course if anything was wrong - and I struggled but I scraped a 2.1 and was part of their very low percentage of graduates to have employment 6 months after graduation in a job related to my degree.

All I'm trying to say from this bitter rant is, a levels do not define your path. It feels like the end of the world, I came out with BC And two AS' at a C and a E. But work experience and different styles of teaching you experience at uni can really help get you on track even if you don't come out with what you want.
Reply 70
I only got CCC in my A-Levels in 2012, and I have recently graduated with a 1st class degree and will be studying my postgraduate at Cambridge. Nothing is impossible.

I remember feeling like my life was over at the time, as even clearing universities were rejecting me. Just keep your head up and keep going!

Postgrad at the University of Cambridge or a university in Cambridge?
YES once again product design!!! the exact same thing happened to me today!!! i got U's last year along with the rest of my class - we all had to re-sit and we only got C's and D's
our coursework got DRAMATICALLY dropped as well my grade went from an A* to a D :frown:
I worked really hard, revised from the beginning of the year, and frequently got A grades on homework assignments, yet could not get higher than a C for overall A level results. :frown: Makes me really wish that I had taken a different course.

It's a little depressing seeing threads full of people who got all As and A*s or are disappointed with B grades. I'm not really complaining about them -- I understand it's disappointing not to quite reach your goals even if those goals are extremely high. But some of us found A levels particularly tough and had to work very hard just to scrape our passes.

Anyone else out there? I imagine generally people with grades like AAA are more inclined to post than those with lower passes like mine (CCD) but statistically not everyone can have gotten the very top grades.

Maybe seeing some threads like this in the mix will help some of the less high-achieving students feel less pressured, ashamed or alone

ADD :frown: TRIED HARD but oh well
I can relate.
My friend was talking about how "rubbish" she did beforehand. Just for her to come out with a's.
Honestly I feel pathetic tbh. It's upsetting to know that someone did way better than you even though you put in the same effort. Like I feel so disappointed and low. I am happy for everyone achievements and smiling and congratulating everyone but deep down I am hurt of my own.
I got BBBBC for my AS results today - not shatteringly brilliant (especially when taking my original predicted grades into account) but I know others felt the same way (several of my friends were Oxbridge hopefuls).

Anyway I just wanted to say this was a very good idea for a thread as it's still important to recognise that we all (or at least most of us) worked our butts off in one way or another and we should still be proud and share our results without judgement :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yua
Postgrad at the University of Cambridge or a university in Cambridge?

I'll be doing an M.Phil at the University of Cambridge.
Original post by Professor Oak
Congratulations! You should be proud of your Bs :biggrin:. What are you off to study at uni?

ahh I wish I could but I felt like I worked so hard this year and was expecting A's :frown: I'm studying chemistry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scitty
BCC, and one of those Cs was RIGHT on the D borderline.

I don't understand how I did so bad. I started revising before Christmas. I dropped my job and my hobbies to make time. I worked damn hard. I hate saying it because my motto is that if you're wasting enough to time to say that, you ARENT working hard enough, but still…I threw everything into those exams, and I'm exhausted.

I was getting As and A*s in papers all year. Predicted AAA, aiming for A*AA. Got all As/A*s for GCSEs so I know I CAN do it. Wanted to study veterinary medicine, too. Gutted doesn't cover it. But I kind of knew it would happen :frown: just my luck.

Sorry to everyone who didn't get a place or is disappointed in their grades <3 I hope you all find answers and get into other unis.

I understand exactly how you feel..... thought I worked so hard this year and still didn't get the grades I want...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by bubblegumcat
ahh I wish I could but I felt like I worked so hard this year and was expecting A's :frown: I'm studying chemistry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where are you studying Chemistry?

I was expecting AAB or in a worse case scenario ABC/BBC ended up getting BBD and everything about my results felt wrong, because i worked so hard. I worked extra hard for Mathematics so that i wouldn't get an A not a B, but life is unfair.
Warwick was my firm and Birmingham my insurance Both turned me down. I looked in clearing and saw that the MChem i applied for was in clearing so i called... and i called... and i called but no answer( i called them a total of 49 times).
In the end i decided to call other uni's but got turned down by Sussex,Surrey and Edinburgh so i called Cardiff and they accepted me instantly so MOST of the disappointment has gone down the drain.

Hey! I got CCD too in Sociology, Media Studies and English Language respectively. It was my own fault though didn't revise much at ALL! It was my own fault so I don't feel too bad just trying to figure out what to do next.

Quick Reply

Latest