The Student Room Group

MsC Animal Behaviour personal statement help!

Hi everyone :smile:

I have decided to apply to do a MSc in Animal Behaviour at Manchester Met, the course starts in January.
I have a BA Hons Psychology (2:1) and according to entry requirements they do accept students with psychology degrees. I don't have any A-Levels in biology, I just have a C at GCSE.

So far in my personal statement I have written about the first time I studied animal behaviour in psychology, and how this interested me, and that I have done work experience at a vets and grown up with animals etc. I've also written about how I have taken up photography as a means of studying animal behaviour. I've written about how my undergraduate degree prepared me as I've studied research methods and statistics so I know how about lab work.

My main issue is that for the last three years I've been working as a support worker for adults with mental health. I know this doesn't have any relevance for an animal behaviour degree but I feel like there must be some transferable skills that I can write about. I just think otherwise it's going to sound like I've done nothing for the last 3 years.

The truth is that I have tried to ignore that I feel passionate about animals because my family didn't think I'd be able to pursue a career in it, so I haven't done a lot of actual work experience in the last few years.

I would really appreciate any help (sorry for the long story). I just really want to get on this course because it's the first time I've been excited about something in ages and I feel like I've finally realised what I want to do in life. I will be so disappointed if I get rejected!

Any help would be great, thank you :smile:
Original post by Jessica_Rabbit
Hi everyone :smile:

I have decided to apply to do a MSc in Animal Behaviour at Manchester Met, the course starts in January.
I have a BA Hons Psychology (2:1) and according to entry requirements they do accept students with psychology degrees. I don't have any A-Levels in biology, I just have a C at GCSE.

So far in my personal statement I have written about the first time I studied animal behaviour in psychology, and how this interested me, and that I have done work experience at a vets and grown up with animals etc. I've also written about how I have taken up photography as a means of studying animal behaviour. I've written about how my undergraduate degree prepared me as I've studied research methods and statistics so I know how about lab work.

My main issue is that for the last three years I've been working as a support worker for adults with mental health. I know this doesn't have any relevance for an animal behaviour degree but I feel like there must be some transferable skills that I can write about. I just think otherwise it's going to sound like I've done nothing for the last 3 years.

The truth is that I have tried to ignore that I feel passionate about animals because my family didn't think I'd be able to pursue a career in it, so I haven't done a lot of actual work experience in the last few years.

I would really appreciate any help (sorry for the long story). I just really want to get on this course because it's the first time I've been excited about something in ages and I feel like I've finally realised what I want to do in life. I will be so disappointed if I get rejected!

Any help would be great, thank you :smile:

Patient observation (as in taking your time and not getting bored, not 'sick person') ?
Non-judgemental approach to observation, reporting and analysis?
Understanding of observer bias and presence issues?
A calm, non-excitable manner regardless of surrounding tensions?
Say stuff like you're fascinated by psychology and want to apply that in terms of animal behaviour.

Talk about how your work experience is relevant *(which it is re psychology).

Paragraph about how the course relates to you study interests and/or career plans.

:smile:*
Thank you guys, I'm just working on re-drafting it now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending