The Student Room Group

Should I join the Royal Navy?

So this summer I had a brilliant holiday on a P&0 cruise ship. The staff were brilliant and couldn't do enough for you, the food and drink was excellent, as were the swimming pools and entertainment. It would be great joining the navy. I explored the whole ship and chatted with the captain about ships and working on a ship and I thought maybe joining the Royal Navy is the best option for me as I could very easily adapt to the lifestyle I experienced on a cruise.

How would being in the Navy on a long voyage differ from being on a cruise as a passenger?

I'm not sure if I should go in as a rating or officer. I have 3 A' levels B ,C and D.

I've seen a careers adviser and got the usual information. Has anyone else had these ideas? Any one got any advice?
Yes I have considered a career in either the Navy or army for quite a while now. Although being on a leisure cruise ship and a war ship, differs greatly. You are not catered for hand and foot by the crew and you will soon find out that it's far from a relaxing voyage when you're sailing towards a war zone. If you want to get more of an opinion about a life in the Royal Navy, you could watch the channel 4 series, Royal Navy school. It'll give you a basic idea of what you will be going through in basic training. I'm not an expert, but I've been researching this sort of thing for a few months now as I myself am in the crossroads of where to go next. Just ask if you have any more questions, I've got a good chance of helping you out.
Reply 2
Original post by Harold Godwinson
Although being on a leisure cruise ship and a war ship, differs greatly.

I rather suspect the OP knows this and is being facetious.
well I have considered joining the RAF or Army for a couple years now (bif difference I know).
Original post by Ambitious1999
So this summer I had a brilliant holiday on a P&0 cruise ship. The staff were brilliant and couldn't do enough for you, the food and drink was excellent, as were the swimming pools and entertainment. It would be great joining the navy. I explored the whole ship and chatted with the captain about ships and working on a ship and I thought maybe joining the Royal Navy is the best option for me as I could very easily adapt to the lifestyle I experienced on a cruise.

How would being in the Navy on a long voyage differ from being on a cruise as a passenger?

I'm not sure if I should go in as a rating or officer. I have 3 A' levels B ,C and D.

I've seen a careers adviser and got the usual information. Has anyone else had these ideas? Any one got any advice?

I definitely think you should head down to the local careers office & say you want a job on that big new boat that launches aircraft off it. #banter

Or alternatively, I'm sure you'd fit right in on a Royal Navy Astute class submarine - they have excellent sound systems (if you like listening to Russian subs), spacious living quarters (if you're a dwarf) and if you hate sunlight then it'll be perfect.
Reply 5
Go for it if you think you’re capable, but don’t expect it to be like that holiday. They’re two different things.

Oh btw, how’d it go ?

Latest