The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

URGENT - UCL Natural Sciences students?????

I have received an adjustment offer from UCL for Natural Sciences and I need to reply soon ( by monday ). My firm is an Econ degree from an avg uni but I have always considered chem, eng, and other science degrees as long as they are heavily maths based so it was great to find Nat Sci in adjustment, especially at UCL. I really need some questions answered - PLEASE! I need to make an informed decision and quickly!

Questions:
How much maths related stuff can I stick in there? I really want my Nat Sci experience to lean towards Physical Chem, Maths, and some Physics aspects. I want as much Statistics and also Finance options possible jammed into my degree.

What are the contact hours like? Lectures? Any lab at all?

Teaching - please tell me if it is any good because I have heard bad things about UCL's dpt

What kind of jobs are you guys looking to do? How many people go on to do pharma companies / banking / postgrad etc??

Is Nat Sci seen as a really good degree within UCL? I have heard that some science students get grief from Law snobs apparently

UCL in general - are you happy? do you feel like you are one step ahead with the research, teaching, facilities etc?

finally - what is the best and worst thing about Nat Sci and about UCL???
Reply 1
Original post by minjinoor
I have received an adjustment offer from UCL for Natural Sciences and I need to reply soon ( by monday ). My firm is an Econ degree from an avg uni but I have always considered chem, eng, and other science degrees as long as they are heavily maths based so it was great to find Nat Sci in adjustment, especially at UCL. I really need some questions answered - PLEASE! I need to make an informed decision and quickly!

Questions:
How much maths related stuff can I stick in there? I really want my Nat Sci experience to lean towards Physical Chem, Maths, and some Physics aspects. I want as much Statistics and also Finance options possible jammed into my degree.

What are the contact hours like? Lectures? Any lab at all?

Teaching - please tell me if it is any good because I have heard bad things about UCL's dpt

What kind of jobs are you guys looking to do? How many people go on to do pharma companies / banking / postgrad etc??

Is Nat Sci seen as a really good degree within UCL? I have heard that some science students get grief from Law snobs apparently

UCL in general - are you happy? do you feel like you are one step ahead with the research, teaching, facilities etc?

finally - what is the best and worst thing about Nat Sci and about UCL???

Hey I'm going for Nat sci this September also and although I'm not a current student I might be able to help

There are so many stream combiantions that I am sure you will be able to pick modules that will suit you. Here is a full list:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/mathematical-physical-sciences/natural-sciences/core-streams/stream-combinations
I feel like you may be particularly interested in the Physical Chemistry + (Maths & Stats) stream.
You will definitely have lab sessions and I've heard from a student they did happen quite often. Remember it's a STEM degree and you will naturally have lectures almost everyday.

The lecturers I have met so far were really good and just speaking to them I felt they were really good at their job. I specifically remember speaking to a Neuroscience lecturer and she was so lovely and kind she stuck in my mind, but the others are also just as approachable. You will definitely be able to get help from them whenever needed, they do love their subjects and enquiring about something in your lecture will make them happy if anything (at least that's the impression I got from them).

About careers, I remember seeing a pie chart on the Which University website and a ton of people went into business/management/finance. On the UCL website business destinations are also mentioned in the careers overview on the Nat Sci course page.

I don't see exactly why law students would give science students grief? Lol at least no one will bother with me I'll ruin their life :smile:))) natural sciences is great because you can always brag about how research has been done that Nat Sci students are as good chemists, physicist, biologists, etc as students taking single honours, yet we juggle multiple subjects at a time :wink:

Can't say if I'll be happy yet but last time I visited I left excited about September. Really wanted to go there, hence results day was so stressful as I was so worried I might not get in!

I'm not sure what the worst thing about UCL is, but the for me the best are the feel of the uni, scholarships and the location.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by rxns_00
Hey I'm going for Nat sci this September also and although I'm not a current student I might be able to help

There are so many stream combiantions that I am sure you will be able to pick modules that will suit you. Here is a full list:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/mathematical-physical-sciences/natural-sciences/core-streams/stream-combinations
I feel like you may be particularly interested in the Physical Chemistry + (Maths & Stats) stream.
You will definitely have lab sessions and I've heard from a student they did happen quite often. Remember it's a STEM degree and you will naturally have lectures almost everyday.

The lecturers I have met so far were really good and just speaking to them I felt they were really good at their job. I specifically remember speaking to a Neuroscience lecturer and she was so lovely and kind she stuck in my mind, but the others are also just as approachable. You will definitely be able to get help from them whenever needed, they do love their subjects and enquiring about something in your lecture will make them happy if anything (at least that's the impression I got from them).

About careers, I remember seeing a pie chart on the Which University website and a ton of people went into business/management/finance. On the UCL website business destinations are also mentioned in the careers overview on the Nat Sci course page.

I don't see exactly why law students would give science students grief? Lol at least no one will bother with me I'll ruin their life :smile:))) natural sciences is great because you can always brag about how research has been done that Nat Sci students are as good chemists, physicist, biologists, etc as students taking single honours, yet we juggle multiple subjects at a time :wink:

Can't say if I'll be happy yet but last time I visited I left excited about September. Really wanted to go there, hence results day was so stressful as I was so worried I might not get in!

I'm not sure what the worst thing about UCL is, but the for me the best are the feel of the uni, scholarships and the location.

oh thank you so much for your reply!!! so you're starting it at UCL this year right? yh the only thing i was scared of is that the name of the degree would put employers off but clearly not, you can tell i haven't researched it because it only became an option to me yesterday!!!! i think i'm going to do some more thinking and accept the offer! i nearly want to cry just at the thought of achieving my dream of a good degree at a good uni...it seems so silly but last year after my crappy AS results i thought i would never get into my dream unis (UCL, LSE, etc)

thanks again! also it looks like im gonna be very busy, it says 25 contact hrs a week !!!! i think i might like that it's so full on

btw may i ask what grades you got and what you want to do after it???
Reply 3
Original post by rxns_00

also, are you commuting or moving out?
Reply 4
oh thank you so much for your reply!!! so you're starting it at UCL this year right? yh the only thing i was scared of is that the name of the degree would put employers off but clearly not, you can tell i haven't researched it because it only became an option to me yesterday!!!! i think i'm going to do some more thinking and accept the offer! i nearly want to cry just at the thought of achieving my dream of a good degree at a good uni...it seems so silly but last year after my crappy AS results i thought i would never get into my dream unis (UCL, LSE, etc)

thanks again! also it looks like im gonna be very busy, it says 25 contact hrs a week !!!! i think i might like that it's so full on

btw may i ask what grades you got and what you want to do after it???

No worries!! Always good to help someone out who's so worried!!

And yes UCL is definitely a uni with similar academic standards to other great unis (like LSE, Imperial maybe not as intense as Oxbridge but I have no info to compare) especially when it comes to actual amount of work you have to do. You'll definitely be busy!

I got A*AAAB at A level and after masters im planning on doing a PhD as I'd love to get into scientific research!

also, are you commuting or moving out?

Moving out, I'll be at James Lighthill house which is near Kings cross. If you need a freshers friend you've already got one here! But you'll make plenty of other friends, wherever you end up staying :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by rxns_00

And yes UCL is definitely a uni with similar academic standards to other great unis (like LSE, Imperial maybe not as intense as Oxbridge but I have no info to compare) especially when it comes to actual amount of work you have to do. You'll definitely be busy!

I got A*AAAB at A level and after masters im planning on doing a PhD as I'd love to get into scientific research!

Moving out, I'll be at James Lighthill house which is near Kings cross. If you need a freshers friend you've already got one here! But you'll make plenty of other friends, wherever you end up staying :smile:

aw thank you! what are you planning to lean towards in your stream combos btw?
Reply 6
aw thank you! what are you planning to lean towards in your stream combos btw?

No worries! And mainly astrophysics, physics and maths but also wanted to throw cell bio into it randomly :smile:
Original post by rxns_00

What A levels did you do?
I am applying in my gap year for natural sciences at UCL (among other places)
Original post by rxns_00

Hi!
Hoping, you are still reading TSR sometimes, would you mind to answer few of my questions about the course, please?
I have an offer from UCL but from Medical Sciences with Engineering course, but really thinking of transferring to this one as i like the idea of taking Neuroscience+maths&stats combination.

If everything went good and you took the course you should be in the end of ur second year now right? How do you find the course so far?
Do you like the teaching style at UCL ? What are ur (and maybe some of ur classmates) future prospects? What would u say the main advantages and disadvantages of studying this course at UCL (specifically this course at this uni, cuz social life, living in london etc, to my view, is quite personal)?
Thanks so much!
Reply 9
Do you think UCL would allow me to switch from neuroscience bsc to doing the natsci bsc even though I think I’d still be doing neuroscience as a major and maths as a minor but then is there any point changing the course. I’m Due to start in September.

Quick Reply

Latest