The Student Room Group

University of Manchester Vs University of Aberdeen

which uni is better to study chemical engineering at?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JustAStudent14

Manchester's department is older (I think that it may even be the birthplace of chemical engineering) and probably closer to where the jobs are at the moment. If there is another oil boom then Aberdeen will be the place to be if you want an oil & gas job, but down at Manchester you are closer to a wider range of industry sectors.
Original post by Smack
Manchester's department is older (I think that it may even be the birthplace of chemical engineering) and probably closer to where the jobs are at the moment. If there is another oil boom then Aberdeen will be the place to be if you want an oil & gas job, but down at Manchester you are closer to a wider range of industry sectors.

So in general are they both employable as in their students have a good chance at getting a job after graduation? I'm not really sure what I want to do after I graduate but I am kinda looking into the oil & gas department as I heard that's where the best pay lies. I'm not too sure though honestly so I'll wait until I start the course.
So in general are they both employable as in their students have a good chance at getting a job after graduation? I'm not really sure what I want to do after I graduate but I am kinda looking into the oil & gas department as I heard that's where the best pay lies. I'm not too sure though honestly so I'll wait until I start the course.

Do you have a chance to visit both departments, or is this an urgent decision?
Original post by Smack
Do you have a chance to visit both departments, or is this an urgent decision?

It's urgent :frown:
Reply 5
2 of my flatmates are chemical engineers at manchester and I've been to the engineering campus several time (I do comp sci). Ngl from what I've seen the course is very demanding. Both of my flatmates are extremely intelligent (one got 3 A* the other 2 A*) and they regularly harp on about the course's difficulty. That said the engineering department in general in Manchester is highly regarded. I know they have employers fairs and things like that, and it's got lots of links to industry. Plus it's in a major city so there's that bonus. Obviously I'm a bit biased, but at the end of the day its up to you OP.
Reply 6

Manchester has a very good reputation for chemical engineering, solid university. However, be prepared for the workload. Chemical engineering in itself is a difficult degree, but I have some friends at Manchester studying chemical engineering who are struggling with the workload. They seem to have to do more work than your average uni. All in all, whichever university you decide to go, your job prospects won't change a whole lot. As mentioned by Smack, Aberdeen obviously has better links to oil and gas considering the North Sea is beside them and many of the companies visit the university.
I've no idea what Aberdeen as a city is like. But as a Manc I can tell you that Manchester has just about anything and everything your heart could desire in terms of shops, nightclubs,restaurants,theatres etc. You will be living there for 3 years so the actual place has to be half decent as well. It's not just about the Uni and the course.
Aberdeen is a pretty good student city (I studied there for 4 years!) It has all of the basics (shops, clubs, movies, restaurants, gyms) and the uni itself is great. I knew some people studying engineering and didn't hear any negative feedback about the department. I know that the oil and gas sector took a massive hit, however, leading to a lot of job losses as the city itself is heavily reliant on oil. But people assume that the industry will get back on its feet again. Just a side note though, Aberdeen is pretty isolated from the rest of the UK. This might not bother you, but getting to Edinburgh/Glasgow takes a good 3 hours by train. Often it's far easier (and cheaper) to fly if you're going to London etc. So if you're hoping to travel frequently then Manchester may be the better choice.
Original post by chocaholic25
Aberdeen is a pretty good student city (I studied there for 4 years!) It has all of the basics (shops, clubs, movies, restaurants, gyms) and the uni itself is great. I knew some people studying engineering and didn't hear any negative feedback about the department. I know that the oil and gas sector took a massive hit, however, leading to a lot of job losses as the city itself is heavily reliant on oil. But people assume that the industry will get back on its feet again. Just a side note though, Aberdeen is pretty isolated from the rest of the UK. This might not bother you, but getting to Edinburgh/Glasgow takes a good 3 hours by train. Often it's far easier (and cheaper) to fly if you're going to London etc. So if you're hoping to travel frequently then Manchester may be the better choice.

I'm just wondering since I'm an ethnic minority if there's much of a diversity in Aberdeen?
Original post by vela1
Manchester has a very good reputation for chemical engineering, solid university. However, be prepared for the workload. Chemical engineering in itself is a difficult degree, but I have some friends at Manchester studying chemical engineering who are struggling with the workload. They seem to have to do more work than your average uni. All in all, whichever university you decide to go, your job prospects won't change a whole lot. As mentioned by Smack, Aberdeen obviously has better links to oil and gas considering the North Sea is beside them and many of the companies visit the university.

I see, how bad is the workload :frown: is it like almost impossible for me to get good grades?
I'm just wondering since I'm an ethnic minority if there's much of a diversity in Aberdeen?

There isn't the same level of diversity amongst the 'locals' as in many other UK towns but the student population is very diverse :smile: Loads of foreign students (me being one of them) and other ethnic minorities from within the UK.
Original post by chocaholic25
There isn't the same level of diversity amongst the 'locals' as in many other UK towns but the student population is very diverse :smile: Loads of foreign students (me being one of them) and other ethnic minorities from within the UK.

I see :smile:
Reply 13
I see, how bad is the workload :frown: is it like almost impossible for me to get good grades?

What did you achieve in your A-levels?

Manchester.
Original post by vela1
What did you achieve in your A-levels?

BCC Chemistry Biology & Maths, my unit 5's brought me down :frown: but I got into Manchester foundation year
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Manchester.

Can you elaborate on why please :smile:
Can you elaborate on why please :smile:

Aberdeen has lower entry requirements, less prestige and less scientific pedigree in general. A quick glance at the multiple Nobel prizes and fields medals won by Manchester engineers and scientists will also prove that Manchester is likely to be the better choice.
Reply 18
BCC Chemistry Biology & Maths, my unit 5's brought me down :frown: but I got into Manchester foundation year

Well to put it bluntly, I don't think you would cope at Manchester. This makes me sound like a jackass I know, but when you go into first year, the majority of the students will be straight A students. The friends that I do know there told me a fair few failed to make it onto 2nd year.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Aberdeen has lower entry requirements, less prestige and less scientific pedigree in general. A quick glance at the multiple Nobel prizes and fields medals won by Manchester engineers and scientists will also prove that Manchester is likely to be the better choice.

I see

Quick Reply

Latest