The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by saran23
Well, there was an occasion where I had to translate for a patient when the translator didn't show up during the ward rounds.

But yeah, I'll definitely find some community care support work soon.

Thank you :smile:

That is brilliant, and shows how you played role in delivering Quality Patient care, by helping to make sure the patient understood correctly.

Original post by 123ash
That is brilliant, and shows how you played role in delivering Quality Patient care, by helping to make sure the patient understood correctly.

Yes I guess that would be a good thing to bring up if I am privileged enough to get an interview :smile:

Good Luck to us all*
Sat UKCAT today and got average of 680. Bye bye Warwick :cry: All the best those applying there!
Who attended the open day? They definitely said they don't consider the SJT part of the UKCAT didn't they? I am sitting the UKCAT at the end of September and Warwick is the only UKCAT uni I am applying to so if I can skip revising that section, as well as DA, I can focus more on the three that count!
Sat my UKCAT today and managed 750 (Band 2). Verbal reasoning 680. So assuming no massive rise in the UKCAT averages i'll be applying to Warwick, Newcastle, Southampton and Kings/Barts
Original post by Marathi
Who attended the open day? They definitely said they don't consider the SJT part of the UKCAT didn't they? I am sitting the UKCAT at the end of September and Warwick is the only UKCAT uni I am applying to so if I can skip revising that section, as well as DA, I can focus more on the three that count!

They did say that and it's on the website too.
Original post by sean0219
Sat my UKCAT today and managed 750 (Band 2). Verbal reasoning 680. So assuming no massive rise in the UKCAT averages i'll be applying to Warwick, Newcastle, Southampton and Kings/Barts

Same as me (without Kings)
Reply 147
Original post by sean0219

Well done!! brilliant score!
Reply 148
Original post by kimsiclez
Sat UKCAT today and got average of 680. Bye bye Warwick :cry: All the best those applying there!

Oh no, Im so sorry to hear. Are you taking any other entry exams?.

I'll be crying too as practice mocks are below 500!! and the test is less than a week away!
Original post by 123ash

I'll be crying too as practice mocks are below 500!! and the test is less than a week away!

I'm doing gamsat but haven't properly started revision for that yet! Was kinda banking on ukcat to work out but oh well. Ohh I hated the practise mocks, found the real thing much easier (especially QR!). A week is plenty of time though to brush up, you have nothing to worry about!*
Original post by 123ash

Where else are you applying?
Do Warwick ask for contact details for referees or do we have to get written ones?

Because I thought we'd have to fill in the form which asks for contact details but the website says

"A named contact at your place of work experience
You will be asked to provide references to evidence your work experience which you will need to bring with you should you be invited to attend our selection centre. We recommend that you ask for references at the time of your placements. References should include details of your role, how what you did met our criteria and the total number of hours you completed."

And I have no idea who I would ask for my volunteering since I spend most of my time with the catering staff and very little time with the nurses and HCAs and the volunteering officer may not be able to provide much about what I did exactly because she doesn't supervise me on the wards or anything.
Reply 152
Original post by aspiringmedic123
Where else are you applying?

Kings, Warwick, Barts, and newcastle/southampton.

But tbh, I'm prepared and accept that the entry journey to being successful in GEM is going to be long with a lot of tears and unsucessful moments.*

What about you?*
Reply 153
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
Do Warwick ask for contact details for referees or do we have to get written ones?

Because I thought we'd have to fill in the form which asks for contact details but the website says

"A named contact at your place of work experience
You will be asked to provide references to evidence your work experience which you will need to bring with you should you be invited to attend our selection centre. We recommend that you ask for references at the time of your placements. References should include details of your role, how what you did met our criteria and the total number of hours you completed."

And I have no idea who I would ask for my volunteering since I spend most of my time with the catering staff and very little time with the nurses and HCAs and the volunteering officer may not be able to provide much about what I did exactly because she doesn't supervise me on the wards or anything.

Should you get invited to their selection day you will need to bring a written document detailing your duties whilst on work experience and the number of hours you spent there. As well as this, Warwick want contact details. Last application cycle the selection days were very early January so it is worth figuring out who can write you a good reference reasonably soon!
Original post by YesMED
Should you get invited to their selection day you will need to bring a written document detailing your duties whilst on work experience and the number of hours you spent there. As well as this, Warwick want contact details. Last application cycle the selection days were very early January so it is worth figuring out who can write you a good reference reasonably soon!

Hello there,

Just to clarify, do we need to bring just a single written document for one particular work experience(50hrs max)so that they can check the credibility of our work experience claims or a collection of references from all of our work experiences that we list on their online form(amounting to 70hrs)?

(I hope the question makes sense :smile:)
Reply 155
Original post by saran23
Hello there,

Just to clarify, do we need to bring just a single written document for one particular work experience(50hrs max)so that they can check the credibility of our work experience claims or a collection of references from all of our work experiences that we list on their online form(amounting to 70hrs)?

(I hope the question makes sense :smile:)

you will need references from enough separate work experiences to total more than 70 hours (i.e. at least two references), but if possible get references from all of your work experience placements!
UKCAT's in the bag so I'll definitely be applying to Warwick! Top choice above Newcastle and King's, hoping 700 in VR is good enough for their interview ranking
Original post by sophmlg
UKCAT's in the bag so I'll definitely be applying to Warwick! Top choice above Newcastle and King's, hoping 700 in VR is good enough for their interview ranking

Should be barring some sort of catastrophe; Warwick want about the VR mean across everyone taking the UKCAT. I don't think it's ever been above 700 :smile:

Good luck!
Original post by MJK91
Should be barring some sort of catastrophe; Warwick want about the VR mean across everyone taking the UKCAT. I don't think it's ever been above 700 :smile:

Good luck!

Thank you! Brilliant, I couldn't remember their exact cut off point but I know it's VR before the total combined score. I recognise your username too, you're at Warwick right? I'm so keen to go there, I loved the open day
Original post by sophmlg
Thank you! Brilliant, I couldn't remember their exact cut off point but I know it's VR before the total combined score. I recognise your username too, you're at Warwick right? I'm so keen to go there, I loved the open day

Yeah I'm just heading into 2nd year, very relieved to get first year out the way as it's a b****h. Glad you enjoyed it, the atmosphere is great; everyone from staff to student are pretty approachable :smile: Do you have any questions or anything?

Best of luck in your application! Don't forget the 70 hours requirement :P

Latest

Trending

Trending