The Student Room Group

Do you need work experience...

Im hoping to have predicted Grades of A* C C in A2 for a course which requires currently 300 UCAS points, a good personal statement and some good references. I hated work experience as it was retail and quit after a day (I know I know but my heart lies in a real profession/career which i find interesting) therefore i really don't want to put down that or them as a reference as it obviously doesn't look good that i only did 4 hours.

Qs:
1) Do you need to have done work experience to apply to UNIi
2) Could i mention the work experience in my Personal Statement but avoid putting where i did it/ names for a reference
Original post by Rigby16
Im hoping to have predicted Grades of A* C C in A2 for a course which requires currently 300 UCAS points, a good personal statement and some good references. I hated work experience as it was retail and quit after a day (I know I know but my heart lies in a real profession/career which i find interesting) therefore i really don't want to put down that or them as a reference as it obviously doesn't look good that i only did 4 hours.

Qs:
2) Could i mention the work experience in my Personal Statement but avoid putting where i did it/ names for a reference

Do you need it? No. There's no entry requirement for any uni (as I know) saying you must have done work experience to enter. Work experience is a nice thing to have, of course, especially when you can explain what skills it taught you - even better if the experience is related to your course, but even if it isn't it's still a nice thing to have.

Not absolutely necessary, of course.
Original post by Rigby16

Qs:

Depends what course tbh, unless it's something medical or maybe law you might need some in that industry but not in your local primark
Original post by LennyBicknel
Do you need it? No. There's no entry requirement for any uni (as I know) saying you must have done work experience to enter. Work experience is a nice thing to have, of course, especially when you can explain what skills it taught you - even better if the experience is related to your course, but even if it isn't it's still a nice thing to have.

Not absolutely necessary, of course.

There are some courses where work experience is a must. For example, I want to be a vet, and some demands are pretty tough to meet. I'm sure medicine requires some too. Yes I think for most it is not a necessity and work experience is a bonus, but it's worth bearing in mind some do need it.
Reply 4
Original post by kingLAWZA
Depends what course tbh, unless it's something medical or maybe law you might need some in that industry but not in your local primark

Forensic Psychology
Original post by TheVirtualPhoton
There are some courses where work experience is a must. For example, I want to be a vet, and some demands are pretty tough to meet. I'm sure medicine requires some too. Yes I think for most it is not a necessity and work experience is a bonus, but it's worth bearing in mind some do need it.

Learn something new every day :smile: I've never considered medicine or veterinary medicine so I wouldn't know :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest