The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys, I got in! Can't wait to be there :smile: Was a bit of a tense morning after being stuck in traffic for half an hour on the way to school though :0
@barbriallen I know you don't post much, so apologies if you don't want in (just ignore this thread if so), but I thought you might want to see this.
Original post by Axiomara
Random question, but can I find a bycicle with backpedal/coaster brakes in Cambridge? :s

Almost certainly not, not unless you can find a current student who has imported their own. Most people in the UK won't have a clue what you are talking about, I've only ever seen them on overseas bikes.
Original post by Axiomara
Random question, but can I find a bycicle with backpedal/coaster brakes in Cambridge? :s

A fixed-gear bike? I'm considering one of those (or some similar cheap bike with few moving parts that won't be too damaged by being stored outside all year). Ebay is probably the most likely source.
Original post by sweeneyrod
A fixed-gear bike? I'm considering one of those (or some similar cheap bike with few moving parts that won't be too damaged by being stored outside all year). Ebay is probably the most likely source.

No, I mean a bike where you brake by backpedalling. Thanks though.
Missed offer by one point. Got accepted by St John's for Engineering :biggrin: So happy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HUNTER297
Missed offer by one point. Got accepted by St John's for Engineering :biggrin: So happy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats!
Reply 27
Oof, well done to you all.
I remember reading this thread last year... it's a tad surreal.
Original post by Platopus
@barbriallen I know you don't post much, so apologies if you don't want in (just ignore this thread if so), but I thought you might want to see this.

Haha I'd love to join, thanks for thinking of me :smile:

And I have to publicly congratulate you on your AMAZING results! Can't believe we've actually made it here, but I'm too pleased to question it.

(I'm still on my phone that was invented by dinosaurs, but I'll send you a proper reply tomorrow once I get access to my laptop!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NS1205
I've basically known I got in since January since I finished school at the end of last year, but it was good to finally see the confirmation of that. I'm coming over from Australia to study law, and I'm super excited. Anyone else here coming from overseas?

Congrats on getting in! I'm coming from overseas too (Canada). Which college are you going to? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by barbriallen
Congrats on getting in! I'm coming from overseas too (Canada). Which college are you going to? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jesus, what about you?
Original post by barbriallen
Haha I'd love to join, thanks for thinking of me :smile:

And I have to publicly congratulate you on your AMAZING results! Can't believe we've actually made it here, but I'm too pleased to question it.

(I'm still on my phone that was invented by dinosaurs, but I'll send you a proper reply tomorrow once I get access to my laptop!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I'm so happy we are finally going to meet each other :smile:
Reply 33
I'm starting at the University of Cambridge in October. It says on Cambridge's website that I will have to register with a local GP on arrival. My college says I can pick a GP from one of the local ones.Will anyone check that I am actually resisted with a GP? Will I have to give my college evidence, or the details of the GP I register with?
Original post by SalGal
I'm starting at the University of Cambridge in October. It says on Cambridge's website that I will have to register with a local GP on arrival. My college says I can pick a GP from one of the local ones.Will anyone check that I am actually resisted with a GP? Will I have to give my college evidence, or the details of the GP I register with?

We had to at Queens', I would assume it's the same elsewhere
Reply 35
Original post by D3LLI5
We had to at Queens', I would assume it's the same elsewhere

One more thing. At my college, all newcomers have a brief meeting with the college nurse when they arrive. What happens during that meeting? Does she just talk to you, or does she measure your height, weight, heart rate etc? Thanks
Reply 36
Ok, here's the truth.

I achieved my offer to begin study at Cambridge this October. However, I'm anorexic and have a bmi of 12. This will be picked up at the health check which my college gives all new students and I would be considered "unfit to study"What will happen? Will they kick me out? If so, would I be kicked out permanently and have to reapply next year?
Original post by SalGal
Ok, here's the truth.

I achieved my offer to begin study at Cambridge this October. However, I'm anorexic and have a bmi of 12. This will be picked up at the health check which my college gives all new students and I would be considered "unfit to study"What will happen? Will they kick me out? If so, would I be kicked out permanently and have to reapply next year?

They're going to notice. Obviously the best solution is to try and get it sorted out before you get there. In terms of what the college will do, I'm not entirely sure, I would highly doubt they would kick you out, the worst they could do would probably be make you intermit a year in order to sort it out, in which case you wouldn't need to reapply, you'd just have the year out.

Have you spoken to your gp about trying to sort it out?
Reply 38
Original post by D3LLI5
They're going to notice. Obviously the best solution is to try and get it sorted out before you get there. In terms of what the college will do, I'm not entirely sure, I would highly doubt they would kick you out, the worst they could do would probably be make you intermit a year in order to sort it out, in which case you wouldn't need to reapply, you'd just have the year out.

Have you spoken to your gp about trying to sort it out?

I haven't been to the doctors at all but I plan to do so. Now, all I want is to be well.

Realistically, I don't think it would be possible for me to gain 16kg between now and October. That's 50% of my current body weight.
Original post by SalGal
Ok, here's the truth.

Didn't the University notice when you attended the interview?
I suggest that you go to visit a doctor as soon as possible. They may put you on a nutritional diet to help you improve yourself. If not, then you may be risking your place at Cambridge.

No University will want to risk it. By allowing you to continue, they may be risking their reputation, should anything negative happen to you.

Good luck though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending