The Student Room Group

Edexcel geography a level remark as level-urgent help please!

I got a C overall 3 ums off a B, however I was predicted an A and have been achieving it throughout the year. On one of my paper Geographical Investigations I got a D,( 1 mark of a c , 4 marks off a b). Should I get this paper remarked? This is a essay paper, so is highly subjective.
On paper 1, I was 2 raw marks off an A, should I get it remarked?

Scroll to see replies

Please help geography peeps! Gotta get my form in pretty quick to see whether i NEED a remark
Reply 2
Hi I just did Edexcel AS Geog and I would go for a remark in both Unit 1 and 2. Geography results this year were weird amongst me and my friends. We all thought both papers went really really well but achieved similar B and C grades whilst being on As all year round. Im currently 1 UMS of an A and at 159/200 and will get a remark and or retake the Unit 1 paper in September. Is there a nearing deadline btw?

*Moreover at GCSE I got the Unit 3 paper for edexcel (the investigation one) remarked and that went up from a D to an A. And the Unit 2 paper which remained the same raising my B to an A at GCSE

Also when my sister did AS geog she got a D in the Unit 1 paper but the school got her script back and reviewed that the examiners were extremely harsh. She redid Unit 1 the following year and got an A.

But remember grades can go up, down or stay the same. Hope this helps!
Original post by geography1294
I got a C overall 3 ums off a B, however I was predicted an A and have been achieving it throughout the year. On one of my paper Geographical Investigations I got a D,( 1 mark of a c , 4 marks off a b). Should I get this paper remarked? This is a essay paper, so is highly subjective.

Hiya- I did the same exam this year too :smile:

I really recommend you get a remark, especially if you're 3 UMS off a B, that's like 1 raw mark isn't it?
Plus, paper 2, like you said, is essay based- you could easily bump your grade up to a B.

Please do remember, though, your grade can also go down.

Hope that helped.
Guyz, I worked out I am 11 raw marks off an A, would it be unlikely for me to get it? or should I just remark and hope for a B, then resit the paper 2
Guyz, for the fieldwork qs, I wrote about the fieldwork bit for results and conclusions,but I didnt directly state that It was my fieldwork,although I defo did do it. I think the examiners didnt pick up on it
Original post by IRoranth
Hiya- I did the same exam this year too :smile:

I really recommend you get a remark, especially if you're 3 UMS off a B, that's like 1 raw mark isn't it?
Plus, paper 2, like you said, is essay based- you could easily bump your grade up to a B.

Please do remember, though, your grade can also go down.

Hope that helped.

What did you get if you dont mind me asking?
Guyz, I worked out I am 11 raw marks off an A, would it be unlikely for me to get it? or should I just remark and hope for a B, then resit the paper 2

11 raw marks is quite a lot, considering one question on the paper in unit 2 is worth 10 marks.
You could try for a remark, just send both papers, not one.

It's probably very unlikely for your grade to be bumped up to a B, but you can always try.

Also, can you resit any of this geography course next year? I thought the new specification was being introduced in 2017, so you might have to take the new spec next year if you want to change your grade.

Double check with your school and give them a call, they could help.

:smile:
What did you get if you dont mind me asking?

I don't mind-- I got an A =)
11 raw marks is quite a lot, considering one question on the paper in unit 2 is worth 10 marks.
You could try for a remark, just send both papers, not one.

It's probably very unlikely for your grade to be bumped up to a B, but you can always try.

Also, can you resit any of this geography course next year? I thought the new specification was being introduced in 2017, so you might have to take the new spec next year if you want to change your grade.

Double check with your school and give them a call, they could help.

:smile:

Is it unlikely for me to go to a B grade, as i am only 3 ums. I can resit, the exam date is already out

Get copies of the scripts back and get a teacher to see if either paper has been mis-marked. The deadline for ordering scripts is next Friday but you have until 20 September to go for a re-mark.
Is it unlikely for me to go to a B grade, as i am only 3 ums. I can resit, the exam date is already out

wait i'm confused, is 3 UMS = to 11 RAW?
wait i'm confused, is 3 UMS = to 11 RAW?

11 raw marks for an a grade all together
3 ums for a b grade.
Is it unlikely for it to go up?
Original post by Compost
Get copies of the scripts back and get a teacher to see if either paper has been mis-marked. The deadline for ordering scripts is next Friday but you have until 20 September to go for a re-mark.

I dont mind getting a high B grade, hopefully after a remark As I can make it up for A2. However how likely is it for the grade to go up?
I dont mind getting a high B grade, hopefully after a remark As I can make it up for A2. However how likely is it for the grade to go up?

Not very. Most don't change and it could go down. get the scripts back before you risk it - you can use them to learn from your mistakes under pressure even if they show it's not worth a re-mark.
11 raw marks for an a grade all together
3 ums for a b grade.
Is it unlikely for it to go up?

It could deffo go up to a B, 3 UMS isn't that much.
Unlikely for an A, but you could try- and like another poster said, ask for your papers back in case the examiner has made a big error.

It depends with what you're happy with-
if you want a B, go for a remark (both papers)
If you want an A, go for a remark with both papers and ask for a copy of them both too to check for errors.
It could deffo go up to a B, 3 UMS isn't that much.
Unlikely for an A, but you could try- and like another poster said, ask for your papers back in case the examiner has made a big error.

It depends with what you're happy with-
if you want a B, go for a remark (both papers)
If you want an A, go for a remark with both papers and ask for a copy of them both too to check for errors.

Do you do maths?
Do you do maths?

no, why? Lol
no, why? Lol

Was gonna ask as questio,never mind though!
So overall, do you think I would be wasting my money
Was gonna ask as questio,never mind though!
So overall, do you think I would be wasting my money

Well, tbh, for remarks- no. If this is for your future and university etc etc, getting a B rather than a C would be more desirable to unis, so i think it's advantageous.

It's totally up to you though, I feel a B is fine and you shouldn't have to risk it to get an A.

You're lucky you're not remarking something where there is only ONE correct answer, e.g.maths, where it would be much harder to bump up a grade, unlike in essay based subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest