The Student Room Group

University of Manchester Vs University of Aberdeen

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vela1
Well to put it bluntly, I don't think you would cope at Manchester. This makes me sound like a jackass I know, but when you go into first year, the majority of the students will be straight A students. The friends that I do know there told me a fair few failed to make it onto 2nd year.

I was a straight A student myself but I had a meditating circumstance that affected my grades which is why Manchester is still considering me despite not meeting my offer.
Reply 21
Original post by JustAStudent14
I was a straight A student myself but I had a meditating circumstance that affected my grades which is why Manchester is still considering me despite not meeting my offer.

Right okay. Then I'd say go for Manchester. Make sure you knuckle down from first year and you should be fine. Try to secure a 12 month placement too during your studies, helps immensely when applying for graduate jobs. Lastly, the social scene in Manc is miles better than Aberdeen. All the best.
Original post by vela1
Right okay. Then I'd say go for Manchester. Make sure you knuckle down from first year and you should be fine. Try to secure a 12 month placement too during your studies, helps immensely when applying for graduate jobs. Lastly, the social scene in Manc is miles better than Aberdeen. All the best.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 23
BCC Chemistry Biology & Maths, my unit 5's brought me down :frown: but I got into Manchester foundation year

I think it might just be last year where chemical engineers were really screwed over. My flatmates told me the uni was trying to deliberately make people fail because they accepted to many applicants, by setting really hard/unfamiliar end of year exams,

I do know someone that did the chemical engineering foundation year. With hard work you'll catch up to speed I think. He said he needed 70% to pass though.
Original post by Tai Ga
I think it might just be last year where chemical engineers were really screwed over. My flatmates told me the uni was trying to deliberately make people fail because they accepted to many applicants, by setting really hard/unfamiliar end of year exams,

I do know someone that did the chemical engineering foundation year. With hard work you'll catch up to speed I think. He said he needed 70% to pass though.

Was this in Manchester? :redface:
Reply 25

yeah
Original post by Tai Ga
yeah

Oh wow, so they even made the foundation year hard :L is it possible for me to do a year in Aberdeen then transfer to Manchester instead?
Reply 27
Oh wow, so they even made the foundation year hard :L is it possible for me to do a year in Aberdeen then transfer to Manchester instead?

I've heard of people requesting transfers on this forum, and I think Manchester would request a 70% average for whatever foundation year you're on. I would still aim high though and try out Manchester.

Original post by Tai Ga

You don't actually need 70% to go through.

From what I was told:

The baseline is apparently 50%. But depending on your course, there will be specific units that you'll need to get 60%+ in.

70% guarantees you a place on the MEng or Msci. And even if you don't get 70%, you can still move to the masters programme if your grades are decent by second year.
Reply 29
Original post by stereoashhh
You don't actually need 70% to go through.

From what I was told:

The baseline is apparently 50%. But depending on your course, there will be specific units that you'll need to get 60%+ in.

70% guarantees you a place on the MEng or Msci. And even if you don't get 70%, you can still move to the masters programme if your grades are decent by second year.

I did the foundation year before progressing onto my chosen degree. You need a 70% average in the maths and physics units. It's listed as part of the progression criteria. This is for chemical engineering in particular.
BCC Chemistry Biology & Maths, my unit 5's brought me down :frown: but I got into Manchester foundation year

Hey, I got these grades last year, but a B in biology(I was predicted AAB from AS year) .And obviously, i got rejected from both of my offers Manchester and Lancaster. But what I don't understand is that when i applied to a foundation course(at manc)they said it was only available for people who gotten high grades, e.g AAA-ABB but in different subjects, such as Art, English etc and not people who had gotten much lower than the entry requirements . I resat anyway I'm going Aberdeen instead of manchester in September .And after visiting both unis, I definitely preferred Aberdeen just because it felt really quaint more of a welcoming/friendly atmosphere than manchester and I got wanted to get away from home. I would also recommend going to aber just because of the course you're doing and i think you would have more of a chance at getting a job and better opportunities just because of the oil industry in aber . However, manchester is the better university in terms of academics..
Original post by Peter Wilkinson
Hey, I got these grades last year, but a B in biology(I was predicted AAB from AS year) .And obviously, i got rejected from both of my offers Manchester and Lancaster. But what I don't understand is that when i applied to a foundation course(at manc)they said it was only available for people who gotten high grades, e.g AAA-ABB but in different subjects, such as Art, English etc and not people who had gotten much lower than the entry requirements . I resat anyway I'm going Aberdeen instead of manchester in September .And after visiting both unis, I definitely preferred Aberdeen just because it felt really quaint more of a welcoming/friendly atmosphere than manchester and I got wanted to get away from home. I would also recommend going to aber just because of the course you're doing and i think you would have more of a chance at getting a job and better opportunities just because of the oil industry in aber . However, manchester is the better university in terms of academics..

I'm honestly really interested in Aberdeen but my biggest worry is student diversity. Moving from London a very racially diverse city to Aberdeen is going to be really hard on top of that I will have to move even further :frown: do you have and idea of how diverse the people were when you went there? And are you going to study ChemEng too?
Original post by vela1
Well to put it bluntly, I don't think you would cope at Manchester. This makes me sound like a jackass I know, but when you go into first year, the majority of the students will be straight A students. The friends that I do know there told me a fair few failed to make it onto 2nd year.

Manchester University, I think, is a better judge than you. They have accepted OP for a reason.
I'm honestly really interested in Aberdeen but my biggest worry is student diversity. Moving from London a very racially diverse city to Aberdeen is going to be really hard on top of that I will have to move even further :frown: do you have and idea of how diverse the people were when you went there? And are you going to study ChemEng too?

Aberdeen Uni has one of the most diverse student bodies, to the point where your chances of meeting someone English are lower than someone from another European country.
Original post by Exceptional
Aberdeen Uni has one of the most diverse student bodies, to the point where your chances of meeting someone English are lower than someone from another European country.

Are the people of colour too? As in Black, Asians etc. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply