The Student Room Group

Cannot decide what to drop for a2...help!!!

I just got my AS-Level results and I got an AABB in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Further Mathematics (respectively). I know I want to study biomedical engineering at uni (hopefully UCL), but I cannot decide whether to drop Chemistry or Further Mathematics. Unfortunately I do not know my ums for Chemistry but I got 223 for Further Mathematics (a solid B), so I cannot just choose the one I did better in.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated and thank you for reading.

P.S my course only requires Mathematics and Physics
Reply 1
Original post by slaybot
I just got my AS-Level results and I got an AABB in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Further Mathematics (respectively). I know I want to study biomedical engineering at uni (hopefully UCL), but I cannot decide whether to drop Chemistry or Further Mathematics. Unfortunately I do not know my ums for Chemistry but I got 223 for Further Mathematics (a solid B), so I cannot just choose the one I did better in.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated and thank you for reading.

P.S my course only requires Mathematics and Physics

First of all, congrats on some really good results!

Because your course requires maths and physics it's good to see that they are your strongest subjects but some uni's don't like when you take similar subjects - in this case maths and further, instead they'd prefer a variety, so I would suggest keeping chemistry and dropping further

Also, if your course has aspects of biomed it may look good to have chemistry as it is a hard science and other candidates may not which would give you an advantage as well as covering some topics in chemistry you might encounter at uni

Ultimately, it's up to you. But maths, physics and chemistry would look more respectable than maths, further maths and physics as it shows you have a broader understanding past your required subjects :smile:

Besides, an AS in further would impress uni's enough
Reply 2
Original post by an_r
First of all, congrats on some really good results!

Because your course requires maths and physics it's good to see that they are your strongest subjects but some uni's don't like when you take similar subjects - in this case maths and further, instead they'd prefer a variety, so I would suggest keeping chemistry and dropping further

Also, if your course has aspects of biomed it may look good to have chemistry as it is a hard science and other candidates may not which would give you an advantage as well as covering some topics in chemistry you might encounter at uni

Ultimately, it's up to you. But maths, physics and chemistry would look more respectable than maths, further maths and physics as it shows you have a broader understanding past your required subjects :smile:

Besides, an AS in further would impress uni's enough

Everything you are saying is correct and make sense. I probably go with your recommendation to be honest,but I am not going to be rash and think over it some more.

Thank you so much for advice, it has cleared up my decision a lot more :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by slaybot
Everything you are saying is correct and make sense. I probably go with your recommendation to be honest,but I am not going to be rash and think over it some more.

Thank you so much for advice, it has cleared up my decision a lot more :biggrin:

If it means anything, I'd agree with this :smile: Maths and physics are definitely key for engineering but if your life becomes 2/3rd's maths don't you think it might get a tad boring? It's good to keep variety up and you'll probably enjoy doing chemistry instead :smile: Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by slaybot

I would say definitely try to find out your chemistry UMS to help you make the best choice possible, after all you're the one who has to do these subjects so I'd definitely say go for whichever one you enjoy most and like working towards cause in the end it has to be something you love doing

Quick Reply

Latest